Elective C Section

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ausfarmerswife

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

Just wondering what to expect for an elective c section? How much waiting around is there on the day? How does it all work? Walk me through your elective if you can. I have one planned but I’m feeling a little nervous about how it all works. I had an emergency c section last time so I presume it’s different.

#2 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

I had one 14 months ago.
I was first on the list for the day so we had to be at the hospital by 6.30am
We checked in and met with my midwife by 7
Paperwork all signed and had a chat about research we could participate in (public hospital)
Got gowned up and bp checks by 8.30
In theater by 8.45 and she was born at 9.15am.

It went really fast but it could be different if you are booked in later in the day. I had GD so they didn’t want me to go too long without food.
I had complications after she was born so I’m not sure of the timeline after
It was a pretty pleasant experience compared to my emergency school the previous time

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:42 AM

You don't labour beforehand for hours so generally you are in very much better condition for an elective C/S which has huge benefits for mum and baby.

Remember that elective C/S can be bumped if theatres are required for emergency surgery. It happens often enough to be aware it is possible but sometimes it depends on the hospital's size.

#4 Hollycoddle

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

When I had mine in 2011 you had to be there at 7am for prep.  From memory there were four of us in the ward waiting and were called in one after the other like a production line.  I was last up.

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

It depends on whether you are going public or private. Private, you most likely won't be bumped. You will be asked to be at the hospital 2 hours beforehand to do paperwork, talk to the anethestist  and get prepped. Actual surgery is 10 minutes until baby is born, then 15 to 20 mins sew/tidy up then recovery. The day beforehand you might be asked to come in to be fitted for compression stockings.

#6 Hollycoddle

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 20 January 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

The day beforehand you might be asked to come in to be fitted for compression stockings.

I had a full pre-med the day before, I had to go in so they could check blood pressure, weight for the anaethesist, discuss pain relief etc.

Edited by Hollycoddle, 20 January 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#7 Lallalla

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

I had to go in the day before too for all sorts of checks. Was also first on the list and yet still ended up waiting around and I know the lady booked after me had to arrive at the same time (we were opposite each other).

It otherwise did not go to plan. But you’d have to be really unlucky for it to happen to you. (I Had HELLP syndrome that happened to go nuts and almost kill me that exact day).

But even with those complications my recovery was 3 times as fast and much easier than with my emergency c-section after 20 hours of labouring

#8 blackcat20

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

I had to be there at 6 for an 8am theatre booking. I'd been in the day before for steroid shots (prem baby). Baby was delivered at 8.29am. after a quick cuddle she and my husband went off to special care while they stitched me up. I think it was around 45 minutes start to finish. Quick stop in recovery then I was back in my room not long after.

#9 Elly_Bells

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

I had to be there at 2pm for a 4pm surgery time. But we didn't get in til 4.45 so it was a lot of waiting in a little curtained area. It did feel very weird after having an emergency c section last time. Very quick in surgery until baby was out, then about 40 mins for the sew up. A year on, I remember nearly everything about the surgery, how I felt looking at my baby, etc. Whereas with the emergency there were patches I couldn't remember at all afterwards as I was so exhausted. Good luck!

#10 Beanette

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Asked to arrive at the hospital for 7am, brought our bags up to the room and completed some paperwork then prepped for surgery around 8ish. Baby was born just before 9, then I had about 40 minutes in recovery before being taken back up to the ward

I was a private patient so wasn't bumped and was first one on the surgical list.

It was a MUCH better experience than my emergency csection with my DS. I had the same OB both times, and it was obvious how much more relaxed the procedure was and the energy in the room was much calmer. I was also in a better place mentally because I wasn't so stressed. I found the physical recovery afterwards to be about the same.

#11 Bigbaubles

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

I was private.

Had to be there at 5:30, got all the prep stuff done. Anaesthesiologist was running a tiny bit late but bub was still born at 8am.

Parents were visiting at 10/10:30 with my eldest.

So much better second time around!

#12 Mollyksy

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

I had a lovely experience (I almost died during the IVF cycle that created the baby so had a lot of anxiety). The procedure was as outlined by PPs.

I would warn (but you may remember!) that it takes longer than you think to cut through all the layers and then see them back up! Tell the anaesthetist if you feel sick, mine had a few different drugs to try before one worked. I left hospital on day 3.

Depending on the time you get operated on, you may not have the catheter out overnight so caring for baby is hard when you cant get out of bed. My mum stayed with me to help. They usually try to get you up and showered pretty quick though.

A big pad in your undies over the scar is a great cushion (matches the one inside your undies!).

And keep up the painkillers!

All the best!

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

It will be a totally different atmosphere in the theatre compared with your emergency one.   Anaesthetist was taking photos for us, staff were chatting about who knows what etc etc.

Mine was a private hospital, first one,  so didn't get bumped (although obviously you still can be, private patients are not immune from needing emergency caesars, just that the chance is significantly reduced).

The sewing up took muuuuch longer than the getting out, and my husband was given a choice of staying with me, or going with the baby, and we agreed he'd go with the baby, an experience he found amazing.

For me it went downhill from there, so the rest is a bit of a blur, but that was nothing to do with the caesar, it was due to a pre existing condition, which mostly disappeared during pregnancy, rearing its ugly head in a far worse way than anyone had anticipated.

#14 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Just a warning. Even with scheduled eviction dates for 38w5d, 2 of mine still ended up being emergency because they put me into labour at 37w5d amd 36w3d.

The only one who stayed put for final scheduled eviction was scheduled for 37w5d.

#15 Wolf87

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:25 PM

View PostMollyksy, on 20 January 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

I had a lovely experience (I almost died during the IVF cycle that created the baby so had a lot of anxiety). The procedure was as outlined by PPs.

Sorry totally OT but Jesus!!!! I’m sorry to hear that, would you mind if I asked what happened?

#16 Luci

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

I have had 3, the first emergency and the other 2 were elective.

With the first elective we had to be at the hospital at 6am. We went to the Labor Ward and were shown to the room I would have. A nurse went through a few questions, took my blood pressure and I got changed into the hospital gown. We were still getting ready when the porter arrived to wheel me to the Operating Theatre.  I got taken down a couple of levels in the hospital to the OT, then wheeled into the Anaesthetic Bay. A little room off the OT.  The Anaethetist put a canula in my hand, then a spinal block. I was then taken into the actual OT.  It was brightly lit with lots of people, I was feeling a little nervous but calmed down when I heard my OB arrive, a really nice guy who was super friendly and very chilled.  They put the screen up, asked me if I could feel any pain (nope) and 5 mins later held up DS :wub:  DS was born on the 1st of Feb, all the staff were chatting about their summer holidays, it was very relaxed.  

Took about 20 mins to sew me back up, I went to recovery for 20 mins and DS went to my room in the Labor ward with DH.

So got to the hospital at 6am,  DS born 7.47am, back in my room on the Labor Ward cuddling DS at 9am.

Second c section was similar expect the hospital had changed it's policies and DD came to recovery with me, along with a midwife.  As mentioned by a PP, even if you are in a private hospital you can still end up having to wait a bit, but not as likely.

#17 Mollyksy

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Wolf, during the egg pick up they pierced an artery and I had internal bleeding. It's a rare thing but has happened and people have died. It was scary. My BP went down to like 50 over 30 and I needed three blood transfusions. Thankfully between my mum and an excellent ward doctor they got into it but yeah! I do remember I could only lift my head as my lungs were pushed up with blood and everything started to go grey and I was petrified and fought like hell to stay awake.

The whole thing was a nightmare. I have difficult veins so I had previously had an egg pick up without any sedation which actually was ok. But it was a fill in surgeon who was quite scared (visibly shaking and sweating). He emptied a whole syringe of fentanyl into my vagina hoping to give me sedation that way. It of course hit me immediately and my heart rate went through the roof. Those egg pick up chairs can lay flat did you know?! Then after that he could only find one ovary and actually wondered out loud if he should pierce my bowel to get the second ovary and MY MOTHER was the one to say absolutely not. So it was a disaster from get go. I firmly believe though hitting an artery can happen with a skilled surgeon. My guy was not. I later learned he was an accomplished gynaecologist but new to IVF.

Before anyone asks. No I didnt sue. I was too traumatized and it was best for my mental health to leave it. By that point I was pregnant with my DS then a solo mum.  My own mum had terminal cancer. But there is a lot I am cranky about. Dont get me started!!

Sorry to derail and please those of you doing or contemplating IVF, it is a rare thing and they are prepared and you can be treated. Main thing is to ensure you have a surgeon you trust with lots of experience and know in advance any changes and who they are and their experience. Dont just blindly trust the clinic.

Again, sorry to derail!

#18 VVV

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Checked into hospital the night before and set my alarm for 7am the next morning - theatre was scheduled for 9:30. OB came up and got me about 8 then sat in pre theatre for about half an hour with a warm blanket and watched tv. Got wheeled into theatre and anaesthetist team took over and had a brief chat with paediatrician in attendance. OB came in and was chatting and laughing. All very relaxed then the screen came up, OB took over, felt some tugging and pulling then baby was born - maybe half an hour or so. Baby given to paediatrician for checks then back to me for skin on skin, baby then wheeled out and met up with me in recovery about half an hour later. Saw friends and family later that night and husband was with me from waking up that morning right through until recovery. Amazing experience.

Edited by VVV, 20 January 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#19 Jingleflea

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Holy hell Mollysky!

#20 Wolf87

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

Mollyksy, thanks for sharing, how traumatic and terrifying. I hope you are all good now and have no lingering health issues ❤️

#21 Mollyksy

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I'm all recovered, that was seven years ago. Ironically I had emergency open lung surgery last year as one of my lungs had what they call an empyema. My lung was full of a staph filled pus that had to be scooped out. Almost died again lol. Cant catch a break. Now that was a horrific surgery. Complications then too, I needed four transfusions that time! And spent a week in ICU on a ketamine drip. Scary times. Now that one I do have lingering issues after. No negligence this time. Just a pneumonia that went big time rogue. I'm struggling a bit mental health wise but doing ok. Thank you for asking PPs. I dont share the story too much as people doing IVF have enough on their mind! But yes, I am a lucky lucky girl!

And no more derailing OP promise!

Edited by Mollyksy, 20 January 2020 - 08:55 PM.

#22 dreamweaver80

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:25 PM

I've had two, one emergency and a planned. Unlike most of the other posters, the emergency was the second. The first was scheduled as my son was transverse and all attempts to turn him didn't succeed.
I was a private patient in a public hospital for the planned so didn't get bumped, I was in at 6.30am and he was born at 8.54am. It did feel like a lot of waiting around though since really all you do is get dressed and then wait in a bed. Oh, there was a staff meeting the morning of mine so that delayed things a bit! The actual procedure from first cut to last sew stitched was less than an hour. I did spend quite a bit of time in recovery as they couldn't get my blood pressure up. But, all very straight forward. I did go in the day before to do all the pre-checks and registration which all up was about 3 hours, which I definitely wasn't expecting. That could just be down to a busy inner city hospital though.
Oh, definitely take your phone in, there will be about 10-15 people in theatre and it's a much more relaxed atmosphere with a planned section. Someone will definitely be able to get photos of the whole thing. I have some cracking photos of both my sons first moments on the outside.
If you happen to have an evening section scheduled, bring food. You'll be starving and the hospital might not have anything to give you.
Having had both, chalk and cheese with the emergency and planned.
Good luck!

#23 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

View Postdreamweaver80, on 20 January 2020 - 09:25 PM, said:

If you happen to have an evening section scheduled, bring food. You'll be starving and the hospital might not have anything to give you.
Having had both, chalk and cheese with the emergency and planned.
Good luck!

You cannot eat anything except liquids until you pass gas afterwards. The hospital will offer you drinks and broth until then. I had an evening section and didn't eat a full meal until the next evening. However your partner should bring snacks for themselves.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 20 January 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

It depends on whether you are going public or private. Private, you most likely won't be bumped. You will be asked to be at the hospital 2 hours beforehand to do paperwork, talk to the anethestist  and get prepped. Actual surgery is 10 minutes until baby is born, then 15 to 20 mins sew/tidy up then recovery. The day beforehand you might be asked to come in to be fitted for compression stockings.

Private patients do get bumped.

There are often fewer theatre suites in a private hospital so elective patients will most definitely be bumped if one or more of their other patients need emergency surgery.

I was private, I had 2 of my inductions bumped a couple of hours as my obstetrician was busy in theatre with emergency C/S.
One thing that paying PHI doesn't do is give you precedence over other patients in terms of safety for mum and baby.

Edited by Soontobegran, 21 January 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#25 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 21 January 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

Private patients do get bumped.

There are often fewer theatre suites in a private hospital so elective patients will most definitely be bumped if one or more of their other patients need emergency surgery.

I know my last Emerg CS (scheduled who decided that they were cooked in under 37w) I bumped a scheduled Orthopaedic surgery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.