Ready Set Go: Due in 2020

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 IamOzgirl

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

A thread for a RSG Grads.

Please join in if you have your are pregnant after Assisted Conception and due in 2020!

#2 Gabbitz

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

Hi ladies.
Hope we have lots joining us in here!
I’m currently 20weeks after a donor egg FET.
We got news about bub having a heart issue. I was originally booked in to see my ob in early Feb, but we were able to score a cancellation appointment for tomorrow. Hoping that he will be able to suggest further assistance to prevent premature birth this time (my DS was born at 32 weeks). Supposedly bub’s heart condition would be difficult to manage if they were born early, so hoping we make it to at least 36 weeks.

#3 BeachesBaby

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

Good luck tomorrow Gabbitz, I know we're all crossing our fingers that you get positive news and that the dr is able to help reassure you that there are ways you can help bub to stay put until he needs to come out.

#4 MissHLH

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:04 PM

Hi Gabbitz - I hope your appointment went well.  Understand if you don't want to share, but like BB said, we're all wishing you the very best.  I hope your OB is a genius.

#5 Gabbitz

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

My OB was quite surprised by our news. Supposedly the cardiologist didn’t send the report to him, so he read our copy.

He was a bit concerned because of my history with DS. He’s already got me on the meds that he thinks will help prevent premature birth, but is concerned that it will only give us a couple of weeks extra, but not the ideal range. (Ie my son was 32 weeks, OB reckons we might get to 34 weeks, cardiologist wants 36-38 weeks).

The doc reckons that we might have to go the bed rest option, but will be taking it a week at a time. He was a bit concerned that my blood pressure was up a bit, although not serious yet and I’m already on low dose aspirin.

So it’s going to be week by week assessment. He also wasn’t keen my work’s plan for me to be increasing my hours. I’m still on an agreed return to work plan where I was progressing towards being back full-time. He seemed to be thinking that he’ll hold me to 3 days a week and may then recommend working from home (or hospital if we have to do stricter bed rest).

So it looks like we don’t really have any great solutions at this stage and it will be a waiting game to see how I go.

So at least now the doc knows what’s going on and my OB and the cardiologist know that we are continuing with the pregnancy (that was a frustrating q that got asked!) We weren’t even remotely considering terminating. Bub is still an incredible gift, even if they require a lot more help then we originally expected.

So slow and steady from now on!

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

Oh gosh Gabbitz, what a rollercoaster!  

I didn't know there was a drug you could take to prevent early labour?

#7 Gabbitz

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

The doc has me on progesterone for the duration of the pregnancy. Supposedly those who have a history of early labour are commonly low in progesterone.

I’m also on low dose aspirin as I had slightly higher blood pressure than my normal bp. My doc wasn’t sure if my blood pressure spiked causing me to go into early labour last time.

I’m also on calcium and vit D, because they supposedly help too.

Hoping they work! And just taking it one day at a time.

#8 BeachesBaby

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

I'm glad to hear they have a plan Gabbitz, and hopefully the meds and bed rest combo keep bub safely tucked away in there. We'll be following along hoping for the best for both of you.

I spent a very uncomfortable night just not able to get a good sleeping position, I usually sleep on my side/stomach, and now at 17w3d, I don't know if I'm officially not able to sleep on my stomach anymore or what, but of course I've convinced myself that my discomfort and sort of stomach-ache type feeling is something serious (which the logical side of my brain is saying it's fine). Hoping I can make it the 2.5 weeks until my 20w scan.

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

Hey BB

Read this.  https://stillaware.o...ep-in-pregnancy

#10 MissHLH

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

Gabbitiz - I hope the progesterone, and the bed rest if it comes to that, all keep the little one inside as long as possible.  Maybe I've missed it, but other than your blood pressure maybe causing early labour, do they have any other reasons as to why you went early last time.  Could it have been just something particular to that pregnancy?  I'm reallly hoping that it all works out, and the close monitoring will allow for any and all interventions that will help.

BB - you can last the 2.5 weeks!  You've got this.  Maybe a pregnancy pillow will help you to sleep?  Some look very... big and like they'd be hot, but others look more comfortable.

#11 BeachesBaby

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:59 AM

Just checking in to see how everyone is going. I had my 20w scan yesterday and was really relieved to get the report that everything was normal and within the standard range. It was a bit nerve wracking because he measured the one brain ventricle about 5 times, but I asked him about it, (he’s a MFM OB) and he said the cutoff for an “abnormal” measurement is above 10, and this was measuring 9.5, so as long as it was below 10 he classified it as normal.

I spent most of the scan holding my breath both from not wanting to move the probe while he measured, and from the sheer terror of possibly finding out something bad. But I’m starting to get to the point where I feel like we have a really good chance of bringing this baby home. Up until now I’ve felt very pretentious if I’d slip up and say “when” we have the baby, instead of “if” we have the baby. I’m still not completely there, but I’m getting closer to believing it’s really happening.

#12 Gabbitz

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:36 AM

Beaches - the 20week scan is pretty awesome. You can see so much. The sonographer was trying to tell me that you can even see the eyeballs because you don’t specifically see skin. They tried to point them out to me, but I just saw static. Did see the arm bones and ribs and stuff. That’s pretty cool when you realize bub is still really small (we were told bub was about the size and weight of a full coke can).

I hope you can enjoy the rest of the pregnancy journey. I’m assuming you’ve been feeling bub move? That’s also an amazing feeling.

AFM - I’m currently sick again (caught a cold, again from my 2yo DS). Ah joy.
We go back to see OB and cardiologist next week to check progress.

#13 BeachesBaby

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

Gabbitz - please keep us updated on how your appointment goes next week, I’ve been thinking of you. Hope you’re over your cold soon!

That’s a really cool comparison for size, he just said 350g which one my mind is quite weighty, so that’s exciting. And unfortunately no kicks yet, darned anterior placenta. Luckily it’s nice and high up, so it’s only causing me to not get kicked in the ribs yet, but my ob said only another few weeks and I should feel it then. I figure as long as bub is healthy, I can wait it out.

#14 MissHLH

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

BB - I'm so glad the scan went well.  I hope you can start being pretentious all of the time, you deserve to enjoy this time.

Gabbitz - sorry about the cold.  People always say "oh, it's just a cold" but they can make you feel so rotten.  I hope it goes soon.  Please do let us know how you go next week.  I'm hoping it's a very boring time for you.

#15 dreamweaver80

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:15 PM

Sorry as I don't technically belong here (not due in 2020) but just wanted to pop in and say what a good idea for a thread. I was a previous RSG poster and really became invested in the other women's journeys, I wish there had been a space to keep up with everyone that graduated. Everyone was so lovely, helpful and supportive.

Hey Beaches, you were originally in the same DIG as I (Nov 2019) and I was so heartbroken for you when you had your loss. I'm delighted to hear you're expecting again and everything is going well.

Congratulations everyone else and best wishes for a wonderful and exciting year for you all. I'll jump back out now!

#16 Gabbitz

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

So we’ve had another round of checkups. 24w4days now.
Bub is supposedly growing well which is great news. Supposedly about 750g. Yay! The doc was happy with bub’s size.

But we add in another complication. The pulmonary artery isn’t growing as well as the aortic artery. So initially that will mean bub’s blood flow will be restricted. Good at birth, but expected to cause problems within a couple months as bub grows. It seems there is just so much that we can’t tell until bub is born - which is hard.

My OB was concerned on Monday as my BP is going up - despite being on aspirin. I’m now on two weekly checks and talking about possible bed rest at 28 weeks.

Slight amusement today though, my DS thought we were having an alien when they played bub’s heartbeat! He didn’t understand why we were laughing!

How’s everyone else doing at the moment?

#17 MissHLH

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Gabbitiz - I'm glad the little alien is growing well.  It must be so hard not knowing what is going to be a problem and what will end up be okay.  I hope you're all taking good care of each other.  Do you have a plan if you're on bed rest?  Would you be able to do some work from home?  Sorry - you're probably trying not to think of it...

I'm already looking pretty big (massive was the term the doctor used), so won't be able to hide it from the people I haven't told for much longer.  I really want some straight-leg, full length, non-distressed maternity jeans, but it seems they just don't exist.  I've had some stomch issues, and ended up in hospital, but starting to improve and am even at work today (not getting anything done, but it's a start...), and baby looks unaffected, which is a relief.

#18 BeachesBaby

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

Dreamweaver - thank you, it’s still sometimes painful to imagine that I should have a 3.5 month old right now, but I’m so hopeful this is our chance, and that in June we’ll get our wish. I hope you’re doing well too!

Gabbitz - I’m so glad for you that bub is growing bigger by the day, even though there are a lot of unknowns right now that I’m sure make things scary. Take care of yourself, and please continue to keep us updated as we’re all thinking of you.

#19 IamOzgirl

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

MissHLH, on 14 February 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

Gabbitiz - I'm glad the little alien is growing well.  It must be so hard not knowing what is going to be a problem and what will end up be okay.  I hope you're all taking good care of each other.  Do you have a plan if you're on bed rest?  Would you be able to do some work from home?  Sorry - you're probably trying not to think of it...

I'm already looking pretty big (massive was the term the doctor used), so won't be able to hide it from the people I haven't told for much longer.  I really want some straight-leg, full length, non-distressed maternity jeans, but it seems they just don't exist.  I've had some stomch issues, and ended up in hospital, but starting to improve and am even at work today (not getting anything done, but it's a start...), and baby looks unaffected, which is a relief.

What size are you? I have some size 12 ones from Jeans west (mat jeans)

#20 MissHLH

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

I'm a 12, I'm just surprised that skinny (or cropped, or distressed) is all that's available.  Hoping I can macgyver my jeans for a few more weeks, and hopefully there will be more variety in winter season jeans.... Bought some long tops, so might be able to hide for another week!

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

I’m happy to send you mine!

I’m closer to a 14 so I never wore them!

#22 MSDC

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

I finally found this thread! I've been wondering how you ladies were doing...

Gabbitz - you really have been on a roller coaster ride. Hopefully your little one will hang in there up until at least 36 weeks. The medical world is amazing these days.

Beaches - I'm so happy your 20 week scan went well for you!

MissHLH - finding decent maternity clothes has been a struggle for me, probably cause I"m a size 18. I found that ASOS have a good variety though!

AFM - Im 17w5d today. I'm still second guessing this pregnancy, can't believe it's really happening! We had the NIPT which confirmed we are having a little girl and there is a <10,000 chance of the 3 chromosomal abnormalities they test for which is a massive relief.

We have our 20 week scan in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping that once that is done, I'll then be able to relax a little and enjoy the pregnancy. I think I've felt the baby move a couple of times but nothing consistent as yet.

#23 Gabbitz

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hi ladies,
I found some waistband extenders on Amazon that have helped me get my ‘normal’ pants to last a bit longer. There were a few different options for them, some were more useful than others (or more comfortable than others).  But they’re probably personal preference.

I also found Mamaway Maternity and Angel Maternity sold a nice selection of clothes. In hindsight though, I wish I invested in a few more pairs of the ones I found comfortable- I found they were my preference for pants after DS was born too as I’d had a caesarean, so too many other pants were really uncomfortable to wear.

Kmart had a small selection of maternity pants. Not exactly a stunning selection (can’t remember if I saw jeans for sale though)

Just one other point I found - I should have tried to buy shirts that also worked as nursing tops too. Some of the tops only worked while I was pregnant, but just got in the way for breastfeeding.

I also found for me the petal front style tops worked the best for feeding out and about. Easy to get to when bub needed feeding, but also comfortable and cool enough for summer.

I also tried a couple of styles of bras. Some where just really uncomfortable and some just useless when trying to feed. Some of that was because DS was premature, so he struggled to latch well early on.

I found a style that worked for me was front clip and where the padding could be removed. I found that the padding often didn’t fold back far enough for DS and kept pushing his mouth off my boob.

Just some things that I didn’t think about prior to having DS, so I probably spent more money on clothing than I originally thought I would need to.

#24 MissHLH

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

MSDC - that's so nice that everything is looking good.  And exciting that you've felt the baby move (I think I did last night for the first time, but can't be sure).  I'm sure the 20w ultrasound will be interesting.  I've found a paper that shows all the different things they look for in the second trimester ultrasound, so I've been studying for mine, even though it's still a more than a month away!

OzGirl - if you're sure, that would be amazing.  I thought I could make it work for a little longer, but after I wrote that yesterday I discovered my fly was down!  So glamorous!

Gabbitz, thanks for the tips.  I hadn't seen either of those two sites.  I'd really like to try things on, but there doesn't seem to be a huge variety in the shops.  I bought some maternity/nursing tops, so hopefully they do work for feeding too...

AFM - I just ate a few veggies for the first time in about 10 weeks, and haven't vomitted them back up.  So things are looking good.

#25 Gabbitz

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Miss HLH - if you’re NSW based, supposedly mamaway maternity has a couple of stores around the state. I think only in NSW though, so doesn’t help if your based somewhere else.

I hope you keep feeling bub move. It’s a weird but amazing feeling. It took me ages to truly recognise it during my first pregnancy. I think I was almost 22 weeks before I finally went ‘oh yeah, that’s definitely movement.’ This time, I think I was 16 weeks. But I was more familiar with what it felt like and I think this bub is more active too. Supposedly if you have an anterior placenta, it can also take longer to feel movement too.

Anyway, I’m now 26 weeks. Was back seeing my OB today. Supposedly bub is actually 28 weeks size, so that’s encouraging that they’re growing well. However, I’ve been told that as of 28 weeks I need to stop work or work from home. Now I need to hope that work will agree.

As I’m returning from my first mat leave, I need to work for 6 months to qualify for paid leave for #2. I calculated that I need to get to 33 weeks. I’m concerned work will just say ‘nope’. It would get them out of paying me. I just hope they don’t do that to me. I have the doctors letter to talk with them this week. See how we go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.