Little Women

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Billy Shears

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

Anyone looking forward to the latest version?

The book is one of my favourites, I re-read it (and Good Wives) every couple of years.  Am hoping to get the annotated edition for Xmas.

I was very disappointed with the 1994 remake - possibly the only person who did not like it.   From all I've seen, this one looks as though it has captured the books and LM Alcott as the author perfectly.

#2 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

I love the 1994 version of Teddy Laurence. I still swoon. I named my son Laurence.

This new version has Laura Dern as Marmie! I love Laura Dern.

Edited by UndergroundKelpie, 22 December 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#3 onetrick

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

I'm so excited!! I honestly cannot wait to see it :)

#4 JRA

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

I am excited, but nervous. I love the original, I also loved the 1994 version, and love the book

I don't want them to stuff it up

#5 MessyJ

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:40 AM

I loved it! The start was a little choppy for me, the way it didn't start in chronological order (for a minute I was thinking, 'Oh is this Good Wives??') but it all clicked into place quite quickly. (I'm not as avid a fan as some, so a more true fan would probably pick up the start sequences and where they sit in the book right away!)

Has anyone seen the version which was brought out about say a year ago? Actually it was 2017 (https://www.imdb.com...er/rm1810319872)

I much preferred this one - perhaps due to the cast... I usually don't enjoy Emma Watson's acting, but she suited the slightly smarmy role of Meg. Amy was my favourite character, I felt Florence Pugh was able to act both young and older Amy more believably.

I felt because it started with the later part of the book it didn't focus right away on the relationship with Teddy and Jo, therefore it felt more 'right' that a relationship between them didn't work out... it didn't feel as much as if you were rooting for them to get together all the way, as you already had been shown the later stages of the story first.

It was much more sad than previous versions I felt! I'm one of 4 sisters and I felt it touched on Beth's death very realistically, the loss they all felt, without it being overly sentimental. I also felt it showed the relationship between the 4 sisters very truthfully. The teasing and scorn between siblings felt very true to life!

Laura Dern was lovely! So beautiful, and the costumes just suited her so well!!

#6 Billy Shears

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

I think the book was only published in two parts as Little Women and Good Wives in the UK (and commonwealth countries) - I think in the US it's all one book.

MessyJ how did they handle the relationship between Jo and the Professor? One of the reasons I disliked the 1994 version was that they were too good looking  - Gabriel Byrne as Prof Bhaer was hot - and the character was supposed to be anything but.  I haven't seen anything much of him in trailers which may be a good sign for me.  

My favourite version is the 1978 television Mini series.

And the recent series on Stan (with Maya Hawke as Jo) was great - out of order but they made it work and stayed faithful to the book.

#7 MessyJ

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

View PostBilly Shears, on 22 December 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

MessyJ how did they handle the relationship between Jo and the Professor? One of the reasons I disliked the 1994 version was that they were too good looking  - Gabriel Byrne as Prof Bhaer was hot - and the character was supposed to be anything but.  I haven't seen anything much of him in trailers which may be a good sign for me.

Well he wasn't quite a bear-like as the Maya Hawke version haha! More likable. Quite good looking though so you might be disappointed!! :D And looks close to her age really, so missing a bit of that older/more mature dynamic...

#8 Billy Shears

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:41 AM

View PostMessyJ, on 22 December 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

Well he wasn't quite a bear-like as the Maya Hawke version haha! More likable. Quite good looking though so you might be disappointed!! Posted Image And looks close to her age really, so missing a bit of that older/more mature dynamic...

Well, I guess I'll have to see it for myself.  Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it!

#9 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

I indulged myself a trip to the movies to see this. The start was weird. I never warmed to Laurie or Bhaer. Both lacking in presence and passion.

Overall, disappointing and not worth the cost of the ticket.

#10 littleboysmum

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

I went with my sister and my niece. I’m not as avid a fan as others seem to be so I had fairly low expectations, however I loved it. I thought it was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

Saw it last week. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a great adaptation.

#12 Givingitanothergo

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Saw it on the weekend. Agreed the beginning was a bit choppy but settled in nicely. Enjoyed it. Though didn’t shed a tear which I wasn’t expecting. Probably more to do with the teenagers next to me eating kfc, taking phone calls and doing selfies

#13 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Completely utterly off topic but your username is making me chuckle OP

#14 Wompyrules

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

I saw it last week. Beautifully filmed but I think the editing could have been tighter and the film shorter without losing any of the impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.