Have you had a termination?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Silverstreak

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

No judgment here and wishing you all the best xo

#27 Apageintime

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:40 PM

No judgement at all. I went with a friend when she had a surgical termination.

She said, I'm doing x at y time. Can you drop me off and pick me up. I'd rather not chat about it though.

Would you have a friend you could say the same to? Just so you've got someone to pick you up?

#28 Mollyksy

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Like PPs, not the same, but I've had seven miscarriages and much preferred the surgical option. No judgment at all. I wish you the best.

Does your work have a counselling option? Mine has contracted a psychology firm and will support employees getting help for any reason at all, confidentially. Otherwise lifeline or your gp for a mental health plan if or when you feel like you might just need to talk it over. You'd be a jumble of emotions right now and you may find soon or down the track (I tend to save my reactions for once something is technically done) you need some support. Especially if it is just you and DH that know. Or come back here to chat.

Things just happen. It's not your fault. Sometimes sucky things happen. Sending lots of love...

#29 Ellie bean

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

No judgment here. I haven’t been in your shoes so I’m not very helpful but wanted to say that after  2 pregnancies with hyperemesis I was pretty clear with dh that if we had an accidental pregnancy I would seriously consider termination. I would support any friend who chose a termination whatever the reason.

#30 quartz85

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

You could call the panda hotline for some mental health support. They are fantastic.

#31 Bandwagon

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:20 PM

I have had both and I preferred the medical option. I preferred being at home, my own timing. I had no complications. I had no regrets, then or now.

#32 400

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

View Postblissfulfairy, on 21 December 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

I've had a d&c in the past after a MMC at 15 weeks so I have some idea what to expect if I go with that option.. however I'd be doing it alone this time as we won't have care for our children and we don't want to tell anyone else... obviously can't take our kids to hospital without lots of questions. I absolutely love my job and it's a terrible time to take unpaid leave but I've just said it's for a minor procedure.. I can still decide which option to go with they obviously don't need to know. Thankfully hubby is home at the moment. I'm so angry we're in this situation but we obviously weren't as careful as we thought.

Just wondering why you have to take unpaid leave? This definitely falls under the category of medical certificate. In fact I’d try to get an extra couple of days to recover mentally and physically.

Whilst I personally think that with kids at home having the surgical option would probably be better (you don’t want them home while it is happening) but I just wanted to make sure that you know you need someone to pick you up after sedation.

I wish you all the best, and it makes me so glad to live in a country where we have the choice.

#33 Hollycoddle

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 21 December 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have had both. The medical took a while and was confronting. However hospitals, surgery and general anaesthetic are confronting in their own ways.

If I ever have a next time, I'll be seeking out a place like this. All of mine have been through the public system, and while they were great and supportive, the public system isn't really set up to be 'gentle'.

I have never heard of surgical termination occurring in hospital under a general, I thought they were all done in clinics under twilight? Unless very late term. Nor have I heard of them being done in the public system. Obviously there's a lot I don't know!

Edited by Hollycoddle, 22 December 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#34 400

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostHollycoddle, on 22 December 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

I have never heard of surgical termination occurring in hospital under a general, I thought they were all done in clinics under twilight? Unless very late term. Nor have I heard of them being done in the public system. Obviously there's a lot I don't know!

There are some public termination lists, though availability is very limited and usually has very tight criteria about who can access the services. As far as I am aware the public services are predominantly under GA.

#35 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

I had a surgical. I was 100% sure at the time I didn't want a baby.

My mental health suffered, my long term relationship broke down and I planned pregnancy with a new man 12 months later.

Make sure you have good support around you no matter your choice.

#36 Froyohoho

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:48 PM

View PostHollycoddle, on 22 December 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

My d&c for my ectopic was done in a hospital under general.

#37 Twinkie12

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

My circumstances were different  but I  couldn't not reach out to you.

There is nothing shameful about a termination and you shouldn't feel guilty.

You must do the best for yourself and the children you have.  That is not selfish or anything to be ashamed about.  You are so strong for making a decision and taking all of the factors into account.

Please be kind to yourself.  Please find a professional you can talk to.  

Rest in the knowledge you have made the right decision for you and your family, even though it is hard right now.

Xxxxxx

#38 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostCat12, on 20 December 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

Slightly different but I had the option to d&c a failed pregnancy or wait for it to pass. I opted for the d&c as I liked the completeness of feeling in control and that the situation would be dealt with fully. Good luck. It must be tough for you.

Cat

I was in the same situation and also opted for a d&c.

If I were to fall pregnant now I would 100% terminate, but would probably try the medication first as I can't take a day for surgery.

#39 blissfulfairy

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

@400 I'm only casual so any days off are unpaid.

Our terminations are only done publicly..  I'm in SA. We did have the pregnancy advisory centre but they now refer on to hospital and no longer perform the surgery. I believe they're done under GA aswell. Atleast the D&C I had in the past was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.