Have you had a termination?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 blissfulfairy

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:19 PM

If so, did you choose medical or surgical?

Long story short I have found myself pregnant. I am so ashamed and guilty however I cannot carry this pregnancy. I always thought I could never terminate.. but here I am knowing I can't continue.

I have 4 babies earthside already. I had hypermesis, cholestasis and other complications last pregnancy alone. I have only in the last 4 months come good after dealing with depression for 18 months. I wanted to kill myself.

I dont have appt for a couple of weeks at which point I think I will be 7-8 weeks and could do either surgical or tablets.

Please share your termination experience.

#2 Cat12

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:53 PM

Slightly different but I had the option to d&c a failed pregnancy or wait for it to pass. I opted for the d&c as I liked the completeness of feeling in control and that the situation would be dealt with fully. Good luck. It must be tough for you.

Cat

#3 Islander

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:37 AM

I’ve seen many people (friends, as well as at work in the hospital emergency dept) require surgical following incomplete medical that I chose surgical when making the decision for myself.

(As it happened, I didn’t require the termination by the time it came up, so no actual first hand experience). I have been with one friend and my sister for their surgical terminations though, and the recovery was much better than for my two friends who had medical.

#4 Sweet.Pea

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:00 AM

I haven't had one but I would choose surgical. As a PP mentioned, you could need it anyway and draws out the process.

No need to feel ashamed or guilty for it. You need to take care of yourself and your 4 earthside babies. There is nothing shameful about that in the slightest.

#5 Amica

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

No experience OP. I juat wanted to say there is no need for guilt in having a medical procedure that is physically and mentally right for you. No need to explain yourself to others either.

All the best.

#6 IamzFeralz

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:19 AM

Wishing you the best too and feel bad for you that it has happened at this time of year.  Looks like you are getting good advice here on your question and hope you get more responses to help with your decision.

#7 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:39 AM

I think the statistics are one in three and many of them are older mothers.  
When you have children already it means the decision isn't just about you but the life for those already here. They have a right to a healthy mum and a quality life. V

#8 Froyohoho

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:59 AM

I've not had a termination, but I've had losses with and without d&cs. I'd go the surgical option, otherwise it can drag out.

#9 andyk

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:14 AM

I have and I chose the surgical option which was fine and it was over quickly.
But I had not factored in my mental health, I was ok early but then fell into despair every time I saw a baby or pregnant woman. I also carried a huge amount of guilt and felt like everything that went wrong in my life was because of my choice. At the time I also had an abusive and unsupportive partner which made things so much worse.

Try to ensure you have a “mental health plan” to help you cope with the emotions that come afterward. Counseling helped me immensely but unfortunately I didn’t get help for a long time and had to hit rock bottom first.

Thinking of you.

#10 cvbn

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

No advice but wishing you the best OP, I am sorry x

#11 StartledFlamingo

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

By the time I realised I was pregnant, surgical was the only option.

We had 2 kids already and we were pretty sure we didn't want a third and very sure the timing was bad.

It was very easy physically and I've been fine (Not saying you should be or will be, just my experience).

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

No, but would definitely have had one if our CVS (I was 38) came back with negative results.  Just because it would have been an easy decision, doesn't mean it wouldn't have been traumatic.

Talking to someone with relief when the results were fine, my husband overheard me and commented along the lines 'but we decided, didn't we, that we'd make that decision', I replied 'yes, we made the decision, but if I'd had to go through with that, don't expect me to come out the other side the same person'.

I personally know a number of people well, who've had them, and only one has expressed any regret (for financial reasons, then their circumstances changed for the better, very quickly, so it wasn't so much regret as 'who can see into the future?').

If I'd had to have one it would definitely have been surgical so it wasn't drawn out.

All the best for the coming weeks.

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

You have nothing to feel ashamed or guilty about. This is a legitimate health need. You are being an excellent mother by thinking about your existing family, their needs and what is necessary for you.

I'd prefer a surgical termination over medical.

#14 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

absolutely nothing to feel ashamed or guilty about.

i had a surgical termination. it was done at a private clinic in Sydney’s east....i was put under (or it might have been twilight sedation - not sure) and then the next thing i remember i was reclining in a lounge chair in a nice sun room with two lovely nurses handing me a cup of tea and some biscuits. there was another woman there too, i remember she smiled at me and she said “god it’s a relief isn’t it” and i said yes. and it was. i walked out of there an hour later with the most overwhelming feeling of relief and happiness. i was pregnant and i needed not to be. and now i wasn’t. it was good.

best of luck with it all.

#15 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:01 AM

You have nothing to feel ashamed or guilt over OP.  I wish you all the best going forward.

#16 Abcde-La-A

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:13 AM

Please don’t feel guilt or shame. It’s your body and your decision. You are not doing anything wrong.

I have not had a termination, but having supported friends through surgical and medical, I would opt for the surgical option.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

I should add, it doesn't matter why anyone wants a termination. It's your body, and your decision.

#18 WaitForMe

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:22 AM

I have had both. The medical took a while and was confronting. However hospitals, surgery and general anaesthetic are confronting in their own ways.

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 21 December 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

absolutely nothing to feel ashamed or guilty about.

i had a surgical termination. it was done at a private clinic in Sydney’s east....i was put under (or it might have been twilight sedation - not sure) and then the next thing i remember i was reclining in a lounge chair in a nice sun room with two lovely nurses handing me a cup of tea and some biscuits. there was another woman there too, i remember she smiled at me and she said “god it’s a relief isn’t it” and i said yes. and it was. i walked out of there an hour later with the most overwhelming feeling of relief and happiness. i was pregnant and i needed not to be. and now i wasn’t. it was good.

best of luck with it all.

If I ever have a next time, I'll be seeking out a place like this. All of mine have been through the public system, and while they were great and supportive, the public system isn't really set up to be 'gentle'.

#19 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

No judgement here you cant look after a baby if you aren't well yourself.

I have had medical (tablets) for a MMC.  I chose that because I could control when it happened - slightly different but I didn't want to start bleeding at work or in front of my kids.

It was actually fairly quick procedure and quick recovery. Did hurt a lot at one point for about half an hour.  You need to have somebody with you at the time.

#20 blissfulfairy

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate your comments. The guilt I feel is around getting pregnant rather than the procedure itself. I think it will be a relief to not be pregnant anymore.

I've had a d&c in the past after a MMC at 15 weeks so I have some idea what to expect if I go with that option.. however I'd be doing it alone this time as we won't have care for our children and we don't want to tell anyone else... obviously can't take our kids to hospital without lots of questions. I absolutely love my job and it's a terrible time to take unpaid leave but I've just said it's for a minor procedure.. I can still decide which option to go with they obviously don't need to know. Thankfully hubby is home at the moment. I'm so angry we're in this situation but we obviously weren't as careful as we thought.

#21 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

Yes, once a long time ago before I met my DP. Silly me was enjoying the life of sleeping with different guys without protection. I found myself 4 weeks pregnant and decided to get a surgical termination.

#22 ceeshell

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

I had a surgical termination. It was fuss free and easy.  I would choose it again if I needed to.

Please don’t feel guilty, there’s no need.

#23 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

Sending you my very best of wishes.

It is hard to make decisions at times like this, particukarly when they are relatively similar in risk profile etc. For me the surgical option would be seen as higher risk and less convenient, so long as you can take some space at home during the height of the medical.

You will make the right decision, even if you draw it out of a hat (yes, I would consider this - and then if you have a really strong negative reaction to the one you draw, it means you are meant to do the other)

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostSkeptiHandsOnMum, on 21 December 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Sending you my very best of wishes.

It is hard to make decisions at times like this, particukarly when they are relatively similar in risk profile etc. For me the surgical option would be seen as higher risk and less convenient, so long as you can take some space at home during the height of the medical.

You will make the right decision, even if you draw it out of a hat (yes, I would consider this - and then if you have a really strong negative reaction to the one you draw, it means you are meant to do the other)

Good idea.  If you pick one out and are a bit sorry it's not the other one, then you might have your answer.

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:09 PM

View Postblissfulfairy, on 21 December 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate your comments. The guilt I feel is around getting pregnant rather than the procedure itself. I think it will be a relief to not be pregnant anymore.

I've had a d&c in the past after a MMC at 15 weeks so I have some idea what to expect if I go with that option.. however I'd be doing it alone this time as we won't have care for our children and we don't want to tell anyone else... obviously can't take our kids to hospital without lots of questions. I absolutely love my job and it's a terrible time to take unpaid leave but I've just said it's for a minor procedure.. I can still decide which option to go with they obviously don't need to know. Thankfully hubby is home at the moment. I'm so angry we're in this situation but we obviously weren't as careful as we thought.
Mistakes happen. A mum in DS1’s class found out past 20 weeks when going for an operation and needed a scan first  we joke she would of been one of those in labour who didn’t know it (well likely she would have realised by then), still doesn’t know how it happened (well obviously she does but got through 2 protections she says!).

I’m on medication right now that isn’t great if you want a baby. I’m on another medication that stops my period. A year ago I would have jumped at a third. Now I realise how much my children would suffer with both my mental health and the condition that would return with dropping the medication (which doesn’t help my mental health when your sick all the time). DH and I are careful I take pregnancy tests every 3ish months just in case. (He hasn’t had the snip but wants to it’s been a matter of timing it with his work in advance likely it will happen next July). We know it would a termination. For me it would be a surgical as I had a miscarriage and it was painful when it really came to an end (it was drawn out for a few days while levels came down which was really hard just waiting and anticipating).
Is their a close friend you could tell? It’s not something to be ashamed of at all. I would support a friend just the same as I would for a d&c/medical chosen miscarriage or because it was a unchosen miscarriage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.