Take my 3 small children with me to hairdresser?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

Am I completely mad to be considering taking a 5 year old and two 3 year olds to the hairdresser with me on Saturday?

It’s for half a head of foils so I’ll be there at least a couple of hours. Though I am at least not getting it cut.

At this point my alternatives are to leave my hair as it is over Christmas new year (it has been 12 weeks, my hair grows fast, I have some serious regrowth) or to pay for a babysitter which seriously blows out the cost of having it done (was going to get my sister to watch them but she can’t now).

#2 RichardParker

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

Yes.  There are ones that come to your home - that might be easier.

#3 reachforthestars

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

I'd be looking at a mobile hairdresser too.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

Mobile all the way

Edited by seayork2002, 12 December 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#5 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:40 AM

POPULAR

I would be devastated if my once in a blue moon trip to the hairdresser to escape my daily life included hours of three small kids in an echoing and enclosed space. Please either find someone to come to you or get a baby sitter. A salon is not a place for little kids and would frustrate the hairdressers, I am certain.

#6 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:41 AM

That doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.

#7 too tired to care

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:41 AM

I think you know the answer or you would not be asking.

Yes you are completely mad. I would not do it unless they can concentrate and be glued to a iPad/ screen for the 2 hours it will take.

You will not be able to assist them or take them for a walk or deal with squabbles etc. They will be stuck inside the hairdressers bored and frustrated and you will not be able to control or help them as you will be stuck int he chair. You are likely to be setting them up to fail.

Also when I go to a hairdressers to get my hair done I want to relax and not deal with kids, mine or others. Given the ages of your kids it is likely that they will cause stress and angst for everyone else there and this is not really fair, especially at this time of year.

Best option would be to see if you can get a friend to babysit for the 3 hours.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

Ye gods. I wouldn't take one.

My BIL said to my sister one day 'why can't you get your hair done during the week?'.  This, despite knowing their toddler was a full on, five minutes in the pram was too long, type of kid.

#9 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

I think expecting kids to be cool, calm and collected in that setting for a considerable time frame is crazy.

So I am in team pay for a babysitter or embrace the regrowth!!

#10 SummerStar

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

Yep, crazy! I don't even have small kids now and use a mobile hairdresser to avoid having to sit in one for hours myself.

It will be annoying for you to have to chase them and annoying for everyone else in the salon if they get fidgety and bored.

#11 Mooples

I could easily take my 4 year old, give him my iPad and a bunch of snacks and he would fine. My almost 2 year old, no freaking way. So I guess it depends on the kid but for me getting my hair done is a treat so I’d pay the extra for a sitter to enjoy it.

#12 a letter to Elise.

No way. If you have unusually well behaved kids, maybe you could get away with a hair cut. But foils? Not a chance

#13 JBH

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:49 AM

Two relevant questions - will you be able to relax and enjoy your haircut? This is not so crucial, because your primary purpose it to leave with nice hair. Then, will other people in the salon be able to relax and enjoy their haircuts. This is important, and differs depending on the children. This is not the time to be anti-screen and give the children a small pile of sticks and half and apple and tell them to amuse themselves. This is one device each with headphones and a movie time, and then only if they have the patience to sit still and concentrate. For mine, it’s also the time to say an ice cream afterwards for being still and mostly quiet - I like a bribe, uh I mean positive consequence, that can be mimed from a distance to remind them of the incentive.

#14 eachschoolholidays

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

No way! Completely unfair to everyone else in the salon.

#15 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

If it was mid week maybe you could chance it with bribes for good behaviour, but on a Saturday when the salon will most likely be at it's busiest - hell to the no.

Sounds like a complete sh*t show waiting to happen, sorry op.

#16 Freddie'sMum

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

No.  Please don't take your 3 small children to the hairdresser.  When our kids were that young, me going to the hairdresser- by myself - was the biggest treat around.

Do you have anyone who can look after the kids and you go by yourself?

#17 got my tinsel on

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

This is a workplace, not a play centre/day care.

There are chemicals, sharps, hot tools.

It is not fair on the staff or other customers - just don't.

#18 TheGreenSheep

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

I’m one of those women who don’t enjoy the hairdresser. Sitting for 2+ hours doing foils and a cut is tedious for me. I have things to do, people to see, is my mantra, so I struggle to sit.

I personally would struggle with another clients 3 kids in the mix as well. Some places are really small and noisy and there is stuff everywhere. Who watched them when your eyes are shut at the basin? Let alone the rest of the time?

It’s a no from me.

#19 Paddlepop

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:34 AM

Can you leave them with their dad? That would seem like the cheapest easiest option to me. (I have no idea if you're a single or partnered parent or if they have an involved dad or a deadbeat dad.)

Don't take them. What if one of them needs a wee right when the chemicals are meant to be washed out? What would you do?

Salons can be super stinky places. Would the children even be able to put up with the chemical smells in it?

Get a babysitter.

#20 Bono25

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

I would consider one, but only because he would take over the broom and help sweep up hair, but not more than one and not for that length of time.

#21 123Tree

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

It isn’t fun but when my kids were little I took them. Six months between cuts and no one to watch them. I was desperate as I felt dreadful about how I looked. I say depends on the kids. I used to take the iPad.

I also got my hair cut at a kids hairdresser with a play area. Think all the other clients sat in toy cars and watched screens during their cut. Worst hair cut of my life.

Thing is though because I was a cut only I could leave if things got really bad. You won’t have that option.

#22 Bam1

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

My youngest 3 are primary school age and I wouldnt D of taking them to a hairdressers. Its a workplace and although there is some leeway - 3 young ones are not going to end well.

Arrange the appointment when you have babysitting or give  your DH the opportunity to mind his children.

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

I think for the future you need to find a home hairdresser that’s kid friendly, you could easily bring them to my husband’s home salon because it’s set up for kids (he does stuff like cut the kids’ hair while the mum’s colour is setting too).
A normal salon, sorry no way. I get that it sucks but there’s no way that is gonna work.

#24 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

Can you bribe them with ipads etc?   My neighbour could have done that no worries, her kids werent little hellraisers like mine!

I agree mobile hairdresser too :p

#25 little lion

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

I go to the hairdresser to get away from my children. I’d be cranky to see three of someone else’s kids there. Not sure how they’d actually fit in the salon either? Saturday is usually a busy day with no empty chairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.