Ebay email

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 marple

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

I've just got an email from ebay saying someone has raised a dispute with me because I clicked that I wanted to buy an item then changed my mind and left their site without paying as I decided I didn't want it.
I have to pay by the 12 Dec apparently. I don't want the thing and they haven't sent it. Has this happened to anyone else?

#2 Clementinerose

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

Have you contacted the seller? DS committed to buy an item on eBay and I contacted the seller to back out. They weren’t thrilled but agreed to cancel the sale and leave me negative feedback. They never got around to leaving the feedback

#3 Just Jack

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

Did you click Buy it Now, or place a bid?

#4 marple

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:16 AM

Just Jack, on 09 December 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Did you click Buy it Now, or place a bid?

Buy it now I think. It wasn't the same as other sites. I got a bit leery and bought from someone else and now I get this. I haven'y contacted the seller. I replied to ebay that I wanted to cancel the sale. They mentioned in the first email that my account may be restricted which seems ridiculous when I haven't paid and they haven't sent it.

It certainly wasn't an auction - just a site selling things that I got to through ebay.

#5 Beanette

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

marple, on 09 December 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Buy it now I think. It wasn't the same as other sites. I got a bit leery and bought from someone else and now I get this. I haven'y contacted the seller. I replied to ebay that I wanted to cancel the sale. They mentioned in the first email that my account may be restricted which seems ridiculous when I haven't paid and they haven't sent it.

Pretty sure clicking "Buy it Now" is you committing to purchasing the item.
Some bigger sellers have "add to cart" that isn't a commitment.

I would contact the seller and plead ignorance, but they will likely leave you negative feedback.

#6 K.heather

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

Yes Beanette is correct, buy it now commits you to the sale. Hopefully the seller can remove it for you.

#7 Just Jack

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

K.heather, on 09 December 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

Yes Beanette is correct, buy it now commits you to the sale. Hopefully the seller can remove it for you.

Yes.

It usually gives you a warning about the fact you're committing to buy i think too?

Like others have said, contact the seller and plead ignorance and see what they say.

#8 #notallcats

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:28 AM

It seems ridiculous and a bit scam-my from ebay to have such a function.  Buy it now, is like add to cart IMO, so until you pay for it, it's not bought.  Winning an aution is different.  I'd keep communication and explanation to Ebay, I wouldn't engage the seller just yet.

#9 Hollycoddle

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:32 AM

#notallcats, on 09 December 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

It seems ridiculous and a bit scam-my from ebay to have such a function.  Buy it now, is like add to cart IMO, so until you pay for it, it's not bought.  Winning an aution is different.  I'd keep communication and explanation to Ebay, I wouldn't engage the seller just yet.

It's hardly scammy. It's a legitimate function ie it holds the item for you. If you just add to cart the item still be sold out from under you before you pay so you miss out. The issue here is the fact that you weren't aware that it committed you to buy. Now that you do know, n the future on't commit to buy unless you're sure you're not going to change your mind.

Having said that, some sellers are good about it. My child once committed to buy a $1500 motorbike. I asked the seller to cancel the sale, they musn't have read my email properly as I panicked when they came back and said I will have to check in my state what the rules are for registration! I finally got it sorted, understood it was accidental so they cancelled it no worries.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 09 December 2019 - 10:30 AM.

#10 #notallcats

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

Mollycoddle, on 09 December 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

It's hardly scammy. It's a legitimate function ie it holds the item for you. If you just add to cart the item still be sold out from under you before you pay so you miss out.

They can hold it for a certain time - 30 mins eg.  Like when buying tickets.

#11 Cat12

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

What did you think “Buy It Now” means?? Mistake is yours. Either pay or apologise and plead ignorance.

#12 #YKG

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:06 AM

Buy it now has been a function on eBay for the last 25 years. It’s not scammy, I thought everyone knew hitting buy it now, means exactly that buy it now, it was/is a way to avoid auctions and the seller gets the minimum they would take for the item. Buy it now and add to cart are 2 very different things, buy it now is checking out, it literally takes you to a payment page.

#13 seayork2002

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

How? it is an option

#14 laridae

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

Just tell them you clicked on the wrong thing and can they please cancel the sale. If you do it a lot, eBay may restrict you, but I can't see it happening for a once off.
Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers in any case, it's not an option.
And yes 'buy it now' means you are buying it. Just add it to your cart if you are still thinking and want to come back to it later.

#15 wallofdodo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

Its they way it has always been

#16 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:29 AM

Buy it now is not scammy. It is literally what it says, and takes you to a payment page.

Contact the seller, they will hopefully be nice. And of course they haven't sent it to you, you haven't paid.

#17 Hollycoddle

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:33 AM

#notallcats, on 09 December 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

They can hold it for a certain time - 30 mins eg.  Like when buying tickets.

Where does it say this?  I thought they held it for the whole 2 days you have to pay.

#18 marple

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

The page was weird - there was no cart. Anyway I will see what I can do - I've never done it before I have always added to cart.

#19 wallofdodo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

Not every page has an add to cart function

#20 Caribou

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

I thought buy it now would take you to a checkout page, but the payment or purchase Isn’t finalised until you put in Cc details, no Payment details no buy? Auction I understood you were obligated to buy someone you won bid for.

Glad I don’t use eBay these days!

Hope you resolve it soon OP.

#21 wallofdodo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:56 AM

You hit buy it now
Then you confirm that you know you are committing to buy (you can back out at this point)
Then its up to you to pay, I think it even it asks if you want to be taken to a payment page. From there you can paypal or add a cc or whatever.

Its not like buying things from a shop, there is no checkout (there is if you add to cart). You could be buying something from someone like me. Trying to get a rid of a few things to have some extra money for the holidays.

I think it is all in the name of the button. Buy It Now

#22 Froyohoho

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

'Buy it now' isn't the same as adding something to a cart. A window even tells you you are committing to buy the item before confirming. You're in the wrong OP.

#23 lozoodle

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

When you hit buy it now usually it comes up with a thing saying you are committing to buy do you wish to confirm. Its committing to buy, unfortunately. Just say you did it by accident and hopefully they let you off but its' the way ebay has always been.

#24 marple

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:24 PM

Ta everyone. It wasn't a huge amount. I will pay and have an extra xmas present i guess if it becomes a drama.  I will be more careful in future, I think I've always used bigger sites before and added to cart and assumed it was the same thing. Oh well. Live and learn. Puts me off ebay though . WIll head to amazon.

#25 K.heather

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:48 PM

Sorry but I don't understand why it has put you off eBay when you are the one in the wrong. That is a bit weird.

Anyhow hope you get it sorted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.