How to reduce kids shower time?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#51 TrixieBelden

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

No conditioner has to stay on for three minutes, it’s not a product that has undergone extensive evidence-based testing on dose/time to optimal conditioning (assuming that could even be measured).  It’s not a pharmaceutical. It’s a really well-marketed cosmetic product.

However, even if you have swallowed the advertising guff, you don’t need the water running for that time.

#52 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostBadCat, on 08 December 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

Um, are you getting dirty in the shower in between scrubs? I don't get why you'd do it twice.

First one is to scrub off dirt, dead skin before shaving. I find i get better results

2nd is to wash of conditioner from my hair fully. I have to rinse hair in cold water to protect my purple colour, that leaves residue on my skin which screws with eczema so I have to scrub it off skin with hot water.
It's a whole process simply cos of my hair but I love the colour so much I will do it and put up with it lol

#53 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

You don’t wash purple hair everyday do you??

Surely not. That will stuff your colour quick smart!!

#54 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 08 December 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

No conditioner has to stay on for three minutes, it’s not a product that has undergone extensive evidence-based testing on dose/time to optimal conditioning (assuming that could even be measured).  It’s not a pharmaceutical. It’s a really well-marketed cosmetic product.

However, even if you have swallowed the advertising guff, you don’t need the water running for that time.

Maybe, BUT I did find my colour affected when I just did what I normally did before the colour.
Doing dd hair as normal when she had same colour in, it only lasted 2 months, not the 6 strong mine is.
If i follow the bottle I get much more life from the colour.
My conditioner is same brand as my dye

I have to rinse my hair in cold, be dammed if I'm standing around in the sitting time getting cold only to rinse in it.

#55 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 08 December 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

I never said I take ten minutes. I take around 4 and my kids take around 7. 10 isn't excessive when learning how to shower.

With all due respect, you said upthread:

10 minutes isn't a long shower.

You didn't say:

10 minutes isn't a long shower when you are learning how to shower

So people may assume that you take 10min showers or think that 10min showers are totally reasonable.

Anyway, I've spoken to the kids and put them on notice and am also girding my loins to be a shower warden from tomorrow morning....

#56 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 08 December 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

You don’t wash purple hair everyday do you??

Surely not. That will stuff your colour quick smart!!

Nope, not every day
Off days I only rinse hair in cold water
But then I have to spend whole shower making sure I stand in ways where my hair don't hit the hot water, that's the real killer hot water

#57 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 08 December 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Nope, not every day
But then I have to spend whole shower making sure I stand in ways where my hair don't hit the hot water, that's the real killer hot water

Been there, done that.

I just showered in lukewarm water when I had crazy coloured hair! Just wasn’t worth the fade!

#58 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 08 December 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

You do this every day???

Hair every 2nd to 3rd but everything else yeah
Even scrubbing twice on non hair days, it's just habit and it's easier for me not messing with routine too much.

#59 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 08 December 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Been there, done that.

I just showered in lukewarm water when I had crazy coloured hair! Just wasn’t worth the fade!

My problem is lukewarm is cold to me. I can't stand it so I put up with the hassle, my colour means that much.
This is one of the few times in my life I've liked what I see on an aspect of my head. My hair colour

#60 -Emissary-

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:44 PM

I’ll turn the mains off.

I’m usually in and out within 3 minutes. I wash my hair twice a week and that might add another 2 but I don’t go crazy with waiting on conditioners etc. I’d try and get away with not washing my hair for as long as possible.

I shave my legs and under arms once a month. If I remember. But shaving literally takes 30 seconds as I only have part of my legs that grow light thin hair.

When DH or DS sometimes take forever, I knock and make them get out.

#61 Treasure Island

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

Then body/face scrub twice, once at start, then at end

:huh:

#62 Myrtle May Mary

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

I'm amazed and disgusted at some of the water attitudes in this thread.

#63 Judydoll

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 08 December 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Nope, not every day

Would a shower cap help to avoid hot water getting to your hair?

#64 Ivy Ivy

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

Some people relax their tightened muscles and unwind mentally by taking a long hot shower.  There's also a rare (unusual, uncommon) link between excessive showering and some mental health difficulties.

I suppose I'd think about my kids emotional health when considering whether to shorten their showers, given the shower may be for something other than getting clean.

BTW it takes me about 25 minutes to shower, brush teeth, shave legs, and wash and condition my hair.  I could do it faster if I rushed.

#65 Myrtle May Mary

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:13 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 08 December 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

BTW it takes me about 25 minutes to shower, brush teeth, shave legs, and wash and condition my hair.  I could do it faster if I rushed.

You do realise there are some people in this country so stressed about water they are killing themselves right?

#66 Crazyone26989

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 08 December 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

Some people relax their tightened muscles and unwind mentally by taking a long hot shower.  There's also a rare (unusual, uncommon) link between excessive showering and some mental health difficulties.

I suppose I'd think about my kids emotional health when considering whether to shorten their showers, given the shower may be for something other than getting clean.

Ugh. You could do it faster if you have a sh*t about the drought.

#67 WaitForMe

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Part of the pushback I get is that the water temp doesn't regulate well, so there is a bit at the beginning of the shower where it will be too cold/hot etc. I can cope with this but it shouldn't blow out times by 2+mins

It doesn't help you now but for a possible future or someone elses future, an instant hot water system with a remote to control temperature has been a massive water saver for us. It was too long ago to remember now but I still remember the pleasant surprise on the first bill.

I cycle to work and have the joy of trying to get the vaguely right temp in their showers some mornings (and no I don't aim for perfection) and just watch that water draining away... whereas at home I just set it to my preferred temp and within no time all the cold water is out of the pipes and I'm good to get in.

#68 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

I am just imagining having toothpaste spit down my boobs and how dirty the  shower would get from it. It's bad enough trying to clean the hand basin was spitted toothpaste that doesn't get washed down properly.

#69 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostJudydoll, on 08 December 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

Would a shower cap help to avoid hot water getting to your hair?

In theory yeah but with the length my hair is and weight, no, hair just slips out. It's bum length

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 08 December 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

I am just imagining having toothpaste spit down my boobs and how dirty the  shower would get from it. It's bad enough trying to clean the hand basin was spitted toothpaste that doesn't get washed down properly.

How do you spit? Cant say that's an issue.
Shower gets a quick squeegee and floor a wipe over before I get out. Saves time on cleaning a bathroom later on in general

#70 VigilantePaladin

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 08 December 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

How do people have 3 minute showers.

Soap from the toes up.

Shampoo rubbed in.

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over.

Conditioner in.

Face scrub.

Loufer.

Rinse conditioner out.

Get out.
When we had a shower I would get in and get wet. Put face product on and then wash the rest of my body while my face soaked. Rinse well and out. Three mins max. As I have short hair I add in an extra 2 mins and do the face and body routine while my conditioner soaks. That is an extra 3 mins max.
Then again I can do everything you listed with a 9 litre bucket of water and a jug.

View Postpurpleduck, on 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Part of the pushback I get is that the water temp doesn't regulate well, so there is a bit at the beginning of the shower where it will be too cold/hot etc. I can cope with this but it shouldn't blow out times by 2+mins
Bucket under shower to catch the excess water and use it to water plants or in your toilet.

View PostMyrtle May Mary, on 08 December 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm amazed and disgusted at some of the water attitudes in this thread.
Same.

We do not have a shower. We have a bath and a pet hose attachment. We are desperate to redo our bathroom and currently waiting to hear if we have been approved for a loan to do this.

I am about to switch all to bucket baths unless washing hair. I'll remove the tap turners if I have to.

#71 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostVigilantePaladin, on 08 December 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

I am about to switch all to bucket baths unless washing hair. I'll remove the tap turners if I have to.

That sends shivers down my spine
the only time I've had to do that crap is when my father spent all money on pokies and we had no hot water or electricity. I'd have to boil pots on the gas stove just to wash.
I will never do it again or allow my child to suffer that way

#72 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

When I was younger we used to spend most of our days during summer, swimming in the creek or going to the beach. Get home spend a minute under the hose and you were done.
If the girls have spent the day at home in the air conditioning, they tend to not worry about a shower.
Both use dry shampoo so hair washing is less.
DD20 usually has a couple of minutes longer if she has been working in the deli, because she hates smelling of meat(salami is one of the worst).

#73 Lifesgood

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

My dad grew up in poverty in rural Italy. He always had showers this way:

- turn water on, get in straight away even while water is heating up, wet self all over
- turn water off, lather with soap, lather with shampoo
- turn water on, rinse
- turn water off, get out

DH works for Sydney Water and brought home a 3 minute shower timer that you stick to the shower screen. DD 13 y/o has it in her shower. She is really fast.

DS 8 y/o on the other hand gets in the shower and stands under it while he sings the entire Ariane Grande medley and THEN washes himself. I'm about to crack down on that in a big way.

#74 BadCat

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:34 PM

People who like really long showers need to get  recycling shower.

#75 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

We do the 4 minute shampoo off, 5 minute out alarms too.

I am frugal with water but I couldn't wash hair only once a week. My hair and skin are very oily and I would break out if I did that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.