How to reduce kids shower time?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#26 Luci

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:13 AM

I am quick in the shower.

Get in, wet hair, shampoo and rinse out.
Apply conditioner.
Apply soap free wash to face, armpits and nether regions.
Stand right under water to rinse off conditioner, most of the soap free wash will rinse off at the same time but might need a quick extra rinse.
Done.

Sometimes a bit extra time for shaving and loofa but not very shower.

OP I don't really have an suggestions, agree whole heartedly that it is frustrating that it is just another thing for you to monitor, mornings are crazy enough without you having to stand outside the bathroom with a stopwatch.

#27 Etta

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

I was always a long showerer. What has got me out is setting a timer on my phone - it is so annoying that it makes me get out right away. I started with a 'reward' for myself at the end of each week if I managed to keep all showers to 4min. I blitzed it so now they are down to 3min 45. That is with hair washing. I don't do conditioner but still - that is plenty of time. But this does depend on you monitoring it.

I found it useful to graph it too - looks good and helps you realise how much water you are saving.

#28 Freddie'sMum

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

It may not be a popular view but I have a shower every second day - and I am getting our DDs to do the same.  If they have played sport / run around - then absolutely - they have a shower.  

They know we are in drought.  They know we are on water restrictions.  All we need to do is open our windows to have the bush fire smoke and haze choke us in our own house - a 4 minute shower every second day is the least we can do to help save water.

#29 Crazy4

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 08 December 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

I've got mine down to three minutes.  However we don't have a low flow shower head so it's a lot easier for me to wash my hair.
I grew up in the country and have memories of brown water from the bottom of the tank :(

Haha, reminds me of growing up bathing in damn water and it was ALWAYS brown, often wondered if I was any cleaner after getting out.

#30 Beanette

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 08 December 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

10 minutes isn't a long shower. I would take a trip to Bunnings and getting a low flow shower head. Preferably a hand held one. Less water used for same shower time. They cost about $50

My daily shower is 90 seconds at most. I wash my hair once a week, that adds about 2 minutes.

10 minutes is a ridiculously long shower, I would get bored in there. huge waste of water.

#31 Riotproof

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:34 PM

10 minutes isn't a long shower. I would take a trip to Bunnings and getting a low flow shower head. Preferably a hand held one. Less water used for same shower time. They cost about $50
http://www.sydneywat...-tips/index.htm

Keep your showers to four minutes. Taking shorter showers is one of the best ways to help conserve water.

#32 Riotproof

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

Also have a bucket to catch some of the wasted water while getting it up to the right temperature.

#33 Moukmouk

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

I timed myself this morning after reading this thread. Just a normal shower, didn’t try and rush, washed my (shoulder length) hair. 4 minutes 30 seconds, and 30 seconds was waiting for the water to warm up (bucket catches the cold water). Now to get the tween DD to do the same....

#34 Smoo

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:55 PM

I've heard of people wetting down, turn the shower off, soap up then turn it on for a quick rinse off.

I've gone the no poo method of hair washing for years, my hair feels a lot better and i'm not faffing about in the showing putting stuff in my hair and rinsing it out.

#35 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

I never said I take ten minutes. I take around 4 and my kids take around 7. 10 isn't excessive when learning how to shower.

#36 Hands Up

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

Isn’t this is a teen though?

We put our four and five year old in at the same time. They both like cool showers so it’s basically 20 seconds to warm up, first kid gets wet, steps back towards me with a washer and soap and I supervise the clean. Second kid under water while first kid cleans, then they swap, then first kid out and dried while second kid rinses, then second kid out. It takes about five minutes all up.
We do tend to bath them twice a week (and wash hair in bath only)  as some of the dirt under finger nails etc needs a good soaking. We keep the bath level low.

#37 Riotproof

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

If kids are “learning” how to shower, it’s going to need to be water on to rinse, turn off, lather and then rinse.

I feel sure they will get more efficient without any problems.

#38 Demera

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

In the drought, on rainwater, I would turn the water off while doing conditioner and body soap, or while shaving legs, then back on again to rinse off.  You don't need the water running while washing your body if it's already wet, same with shaving.

Do you have a mixer tap or separate hot/cold taps? Having a mixer tap makes a huge difference to turning water on and off, as if you have hot/cold taps you need to reset the temp again. With a mixer tap you already have it set correctly so you can just put it back on instantly to the right temp.

My showers are pretty quick, much shorter than my husband who doesn't need to shampoo/condition or shave.  He claims it takes a long time to get soap out of body hair, but admits to 'thinking time'.  

I get wet, shampoo hair, rinse, condition hair, body wash using bar soap which is really quick, rinse hair and body, shave armpits, shave lower legs only (30 sec per leg). I haven't timed myself recently but I'm pretty sure it takes about 6 minutes without rushing. If I'm just having a shower, no hair or legs, then I can do it before the hot water is fully through the pipes.

I'm drought-conditioned to efficient showers. No standing around daydreaming.

#39 purplekitty

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 08 December 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

We had a drought in Auckland NZ in the 90s. To the point at school and home we were doing " yellow let it mellow, brown flush it down" for the toilets. Put a bucket in your shower to catch the start of " too cold water" and use it for other uses, like flushing the toilet etc.
I did this in the previous drought in Qld.
Every drop was conserved that came out of the taps.

#40 Judydoll

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:09 PM

Open door policy.   Respect our household rules of 3 minute water time because that is also using electricity to run the pump so a double whammy.  If you don't respect it not my problem if someone might walk in at end of 3 minutes to begin their shower.

Ok ok before anyone screams pirvacy etc not actually enacted but the threat is real enough that time is kept to 3 minutes.

#41 rabbit hyde

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostSmoo, on 08 December 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

I've heard of people wetting down, turn the shower off, soap up then turn it on for a quick rinse off.

I've gone the no poo method of hair washing for years, my hair feels a lot better and i'm not faffing about in the showing putting stuff in my hair and rinsing it out.

I've heard people refer to them as Navy Showers?

View PostSmoo, on 08 December 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

#42 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

I’ve often considered some kind of automatic shut off device for the bathroom that the kids use. My middle one especially is appalling.

#43 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

View Postrabbit hyde, on 08 December 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yes Navy showers. There's not much freash water storage on navy ships and carriers, even with mini desalination running. Water is very much conserved onboard.

#44 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Yep 10 min is my short rush shower

My hair routine alone would be 5 minutes just to care for my colour properly. Conditioner alone needs to sit for minimum 3 minutes.
Plus shaving and brushing teeth
Then body/face scrub twice, once at start, then at end
20 minutes minimum
We swap and change between mains water and tank.

#45 Judydoll

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Why do people brush their teeth in the shower?

#46 BadCat

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

Jesus.  If I get my kids out of the shower the same day they went in I count is as a win.

10 minutes is miracle territory.

I should add, our water usage is actually exceptionally low.

Edited by BadCat, 08 December 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#47 BadCat

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 08 December 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

20 minutes minimum

Um, are you getting dirty in the shower in between scrubs? I don't get why you'd do it twice.

#48 kadoodle

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

View Postrabbit hyde, on 08 December 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

That’s what happens here if we’re running low on water and I can’t get a delivery.

#49 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostJudydoll, on 08 December 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Why do people brush their teeth in the shower?

Cos its easy, part of my shower routine :shrug:

#50 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 08 December 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yep 10 min is my short rush shower

My hair routine alone would be 5 minutes just to care for my colour properly. Conditioner alone needs to sit for minimum 3 minutes.
Plus shaving and brushing teeth
20 minutes minimum
We swap and change between mains water and tank.

You do this every day???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.