How to reduce kids shower time?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#176 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 December 2019 - 07:29 AM, said:

Well I couldn’t find any current water restrictions listed.
You should still understand my point though. Could have also said Melbourne.

From Dec 20th - https://www.taswater...er-Restrictions

Plus half of Tas is in drought conditions.

Much like Victoria, maybe you aren’t in Melbourne but is it really so hard to think ok they might need to ship water from our reserves to other parts of the state, so we should be smarter with our usage!!

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 December 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

no, using someone's suicide to push an agenda on an online forum makes me uncomfortable. Especially without any additional info. (who was this person? what else was happening in their lives?)

https://www.theguard...-about-my-story

https://www.google.c...commit-suicide/

https://www.beyondbl...e-ways-than-one

Or do you need personal stories?

Beyond blue even says the suicide rate of twice that of in the city. So if you think wasting water because you aren’t actually personally affected is ok, you are part of the problem.

#177 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 December 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Why?

Surely water usage can depend on your location and current water availability? How would it not? You can’t magic water from Melbourne to Northern NSW.

You can have an hour long shower under a waterfall if you happen to live next to one.

You can truck it to those areas though and that’s what many places do at considerable cost!!

#178 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:02 AM

I don’t think wasting water is ok, our water usage is actually well below the water usage target our area.

I think you have all missed my point, and since the loudest voice always wins in these sorts of threads, I am going to give up now, cause I don’t feel like shouting.

#179 marple

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

I hadn't clicked on this topic as thought it was fairly staid, but its at 8 pages and people are arguing about water. Shows how bad things are in AUstralia.

#180 marple

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

Also, does anyone have an "average " use per day - someone said 372 I think? We are way over that.

#181 Jingleflea

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

My family of 3 used just over .30KL a day last bill period. is that 300l?

#182 Crazyone26989

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:45 AM

I can’t get my actual usage because we rent and don’t pay for water because it is averaged for the building. But I did a water usage calculator and it seems for 2 adults and a baby we use about 300L a day and apparently the average is around 470L for three people.

#183 Mose

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

View Postmarple, on 11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

Also, does anyone have an "average " use per day - someone said 372 I think? We are way over that.

I know in Melbourne they say to target 155L per person per day as reasonable usage, and the averages are actually slightly above that.

We are well below (have 4 people and use less than the amount that would imply for 3).  But I have no doubt that people living on tank water would find out water usage ludicrously high, despite being well below both averages and targets.

#184 eponee

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostJingleflea, on 11 December 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

My family of 3 used just over .30KL a day last bill period. is that 300l?

Yes

Edited by eponee, 11 December 2019 - 08:51 AM.

#185 marple

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:59 AM

ok so we are over but have a bigger family. We rarely fill ourr pool but that wouldn't help I guess

#186 rainycat

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Just on the topic of water tanks and the drought. We have 2 big ones and they haven’t been full for a few years. We have to usually buy water at least once a year.

#187 Kallie88

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

I do think everyone should do their bit to conserve water, but realistically there are people that just don't care. My dh thinks he "needs" a 30 minute shower to "wake up in the morning" (eye rolls from me) and i guess technically I could get up at 4am and turn the water off on him, but it doesn't sit well with me to mess with his autonomy because I disagree. And if you told him he's "causing people to suicide" he'd probably dig his heels in more coz he's a stubborn ass at times. That said, as a household our last bill was 129L per person, which I'd like to cut down still, but is under the vic target

#188 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

Attached File  20191210_092733.jpg   170.91K   99 downloads

Its actually faded at the moment and roots need doing. Was planning to redo just  before xmas

#189 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostCCABW, on 10 December 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Good lord - for those having showers more than 5 mins, do you realise we live in one of the driest countries on earth? That there are fires all over the place that need water to extinguish? That we are getting warmer and drier? That your personal shower use is contributing to the bigger problem, including people suiciding?
So is my having a drink the reason people die from alcohol addiction or suicide?
Is my chucking 20 in the pokies once in 6 months the reason for pokie addicts and their suicide?
No
You cant blame someones long shower on someones suicide. Its an attempted guilt trip. Since i know suicide is a complex issue, with more than one base, i know im not at fault for anyone suicide, be that from showers, drinking, whatever

The water i have here is useless to other states unless they come pump my tanks

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 December 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

Suicide is tragic, and complicated, and I think it’s unfair to say some people’s showers are contributing to another person’s suicide. Australia is a big country, not every city has water restrictions or bush fires. This thread is about the OP’s daughters shower time. Let’s stick to that.

Exactly

#190 Jingleflea

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:09 PM

I have a water saving shower head and toilet, only wash maybe 2 loads a week and don't water the garden so how are we using 300l a day???

Our bills are always the same pretty much too, very little variance in them so I wonder if they actually ARE reading the meter(it's really hard to get to and usually full of snails) or guestimating each time.

#191 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 11 December 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

I have a water saving shower head and toilet, only wash maybe 2 loads a week and don't water the garden so how are we using 300l a day???

Our bills are always the same pretty much too, very little variance in them so I wonder if they actually ARE reading the meter(it's really hard to get to and usually full of snails) or guestimating each time.

could be guessing based on past averages OR could you have a leak in a pipe somewhere you cant see?

#192 steppy

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:16 PM

Linking someone's long shower with someone else's water stressed suicide is a long bow to draw. I'm sure it's got more to do with not having water AND having no way out of a desperate situation. If it was just water, you'd move.

#193 blimkybill

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 11 December 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

If you have more than 2 people in your house you are doing better than the Melbourne target.

300L is made up of
- showering - an efficient shower head is no more than 9L per minute so say 45 L for each 5 minute shower
- toilet flushing - say 9L per flush. i have no idea how many times people flush but maybe 5 per day per person? 50L per person per day?
- washing up and other water use while cooking (washing veges etc)
- brushing your teeth
- washing your hands multiple times per day
- washing the clothes could be 50 to 100 L per load
- you might water the garden or some pot plants sometimes

It all adds up especially if there are several people in the house. 300L is not that much.

#194 Jingleflea

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

It seems like a lot!

#195 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:19 PM

View Postmarple, on 11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

I cant remember exact figures but ours was less than half an average 4 person family because we use rainwater tanks for garden, toilets and some cleaning.

Garden and toilets are the 2 biggest uses I believe.

If you can afford to get the big RWT set up its a fantastic idea.

#196 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 11 December 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

You can truck it to those areas though and that’s what many places do at considerable cost!!

I understand pumping water through pipes uses huge amounts of electricity, which obviously costs huge amounts of money, even if those pipes existed, which they dont.

I would love to see a future where we could use wind and solar powered desal plants and use wind and solar power to pump it around Australia. Maybe it will happen. I believe SA is getting a second one.

#197 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostMincePieMasterchef, on 11 December 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

I understand pumping water through pipes uses huge amounts of electricity, which obviously costs huge amounts of money, even if those pipes existed, which they dont.

I would love to see a future where we could use wind and solar powered desal plants and use wind and solar power to pump it around Australia. Maybe it will happen. I believe SA is getting a second one.

Those pipes exist....

My dads job when I was a kid was to work on them.

My local area is about to start construction on a huge pipeline (100s of kms) to bring water to our local area.

ETA sorry I don’t know if you mean exist at all or something else!

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 11 December 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#198 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:44 PM

We are a family of 4 with a medium large block.
Daily showers (3-4 mins!!) per person.
The usual toilet use and hand washing.
Probably 4-5 loads of washing in a front loader per week.
Dishwasher is run every 1-2 days.
No pool.
Medium size garden is low water use and we have a small RWT for the garden.
Water use is 226L per day.
Apparently the average for a 4 person family with no garden in our area is 320-440L per day.

#199 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 11 December 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

Those pipes exist....

My dads job when I was a kid was to work on them.

My local area is about to start construction on a huge pipeline (100s of kms) to bring water to our local area.

ETA sorry I don’t know if you mean exist at all or something else!

I didn't actually realise we had pipes to get the water everywhere although to be honest I only really know about SAs water supply.   I guess I mean get it out to drought prone rural areas from where the desal plants are.  Its great if that network already exists!

#200 Demera

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostMincePieMasterchef, on 12 December 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

I didn't actually realise we had pipes to get the water everywhere although to be honest I only really know about SAs water supply.   I guess I mean get it out to drought prone rural areas from where the desal plants are.  Its great if that network already exists!

There isn't really a extensive pipeline, only localised systems. In our case it takes water from the Grampians to the Wimmera/Mallee and replaced the old channel system. But it's a closed system and doesn't connect to any other networks like a powerline for example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.