Grocery shopping is too expensive.

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#1 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:04 PM

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 child, 3 cats and a Guinea Pig. Today I spent $200 on our groceries for a week. I don't know how to get it cheaper without buying more packaged foods. I have included my shopping list below. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 kilo apples
21 bananas
500gm red grapes
7 apricots
7 plums
7 peaches
500gm cherries
7 punnets strawberries
3 punnets blueberries
1 punnet raspberries
14 mangos
16 avocados
2 kilos broccoli
2 kilos tomatoes
2 kilos cherry tomatoes
3 capsicum
1 kilo red onions
1 kilo bag mung beans (for sproats)
1 bunch spring onions
1 bunch chives
1 bunch basil
1 bunch parsley
1 cabbage
4 cucumbers
2 bunches bok choy
1 bunch choy sum
2 kilos carrots
1 bunch celery
1 pineapple
5kg oranges
2 iceberg lettuce
2 cos lettuce
500gm fancy lettuce
1 kilo baby spinach
500gs rocket
Pea sprouts
500gm bag raw cashews
500gm raw almonds
500gm pepitas
500gm sunflower seeds
1 kilo unshelled raw walnuts
1 kilo Kalamata olives
250 gm salami
500gm bacon pieces
5 chicken thighs
1 bbq chook
500gm rump steak
2 litres yogurt
Butter
1 dozen free range eggs
1 kilo tasty cheese
200gm Dutch feta
200gm Greek feta
200gm ricotta
1 tub cottage cheese
1 tub cream cheese
4 loaves bakery made dark rye bread
1 box of spelt pasta
1 box of buckwheat pasta
1 bottle cordial
5 packets brown rice crackers
Bag of vege straws
1 box Green tea with mint
300gm bag raisins
300gm bag currants
1 cake mix
1 multipack plain popcorn
Soy sauce
Praise fat free mayanaise
Tabasco sauce
4 tins lentils
4 tins chickpeas
4 tins butter beans
4 tins kidney beans
Grain free cat food
Toilet paper
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
2 × frozen spinach
Puff pastry

#2 Mooples

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

I think that is actually quite reasonable. Where I am strawberries are $3.50 a punnet, blueberries $4.00 and raspberries $4.59 so you’ve spent around $30 just on berries. Avocados are $2.50 so that’s over $30 and mangos are $3 so that’s another $40 something. You must be getting cheap fruit and veggies to get all that.

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 young children and we spend $350 a week. I truly don’t understand how people on eb spend so little on groceries.

#3 Lunafreya

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

You buy in bulk things for multiple meals, cook ahead and don't get so much variety. Get food that will work for different dishes.

Like...maybe don't get 6 different varieties of cheese.

Grow your herbs fresh, this takes time but it works.

Get pulses (beans, chick peas) dried in bags, you get more than a tin.

Why on earth do you have 16 avocadoes? Do they ALL get eaten? Take a note of what gets binned.

Edited by Lunafreya, 04 December 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

Far out, that seems good to me, but yes seems more expensive than years ago I guess

When we can't think what to do for dinner we just have whatever is on the 'reduced use today' section

I buy daily before work (makes it easier on me not saying it saves anything! generally)

Edited by seayork2002, 04 December 2019 - 02:15 PM.

#5 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

You could grow your own chives and parsley? :D Seriously though $200 for 5 + pets is very thrifty imho. I spend quite a bit more for 6.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

That doesnt sound too bad actually.

I spent nearly $170 yesterday on groceries (which is a lot for me), but that also included meat, which gives us 18 dinners.

#7 literally nobody

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

better than mine. 2 adults 3 kids = $300 minimum

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

I don't know how you got all that for 200 bucks! You must already be shopping somewhere with good prices.

Also - am I the only one who only buys that much fruit and veg in a month rather than a week??!!! 🤭

#9 Crombek

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

Is that with one of the big 2? I put *just* your fruit into Coles online & came up at $147.18 so $200 all up sounds great.

#10 gettin my fance on

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

I love grapes and apricots but they are still far too expensive so although I can afford to buy them, I just don't until the price comes down further into the season.

I buy extra kilos of the less expensive fruits.  I only buy raspberries for special occasions eg. Christmas pav.

Overall though, I think your grocery shop was pretty cheap for all that you bought.

Edited by gettin my fance on, 04 December 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

Cheaper fruit? I mean I didn’t ever buy mangoes or apricots or cherries unless it’s a special occasion. (Ok to be honest here we actually have a mango tree so I wouldn’t buy them). I only ever buy 1-2 avocados or the odd bunch 1kg ones for $7.

Grow your herbs or use dry?

You also buy a lot of nuts and seeds. If you do then well to be honest your list for $200 is cheap. I don’t buy anywhere near that number of expensive items as easily spend $200/week for 2A2C 2 cats.

#12 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

I have a great farmers market near me I shop at first. Then butcher. Then bakery. Then Aldi. Then Woolworths.

I don't buy any fruit or veg over $5 a kilo.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

$200 for all that is good!! Where do you shop???
Family of 4 and 1 dog and we spend $300 at least on groceries (including toiletries and cleaning stuff)

The only thing I notice about your list is that you are eating a LOT of fruit and veg and nuts. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s a lot more expensive to fill up on plums and berries and nuts than a cheese sandwich. With two teenagers, to cut back on costs, I’d fill them up on cheap white bread and butter and save the expensive fruit and nuts as a sometimes food. When money was tight when I was growing up, we never had blueberries, strawberries were rare, cherries and seeds were unheard of. We lived on apples and pears and bananas.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 04 December 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#14 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:38 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 04 December 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

$200 for all that is good!! Where do you shop???
Family of 4 and 1 dog and we spend $300 at least on groceries (including toiletries and cleaning stuff)

The only thing I notice about your list is that you are eating a LOT of fruit and veg and nuts. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s a lot more expensive to fill up on plums and berries and nuts than a cheese sandwich. With two teenagers, to cut back on costs, I’d fill them up on cheap white bread and butter and save the expensive fruit and nuts as a sometimes food. When money was tight when I was growing up, we never had blueberries, strawberries were rare, cherries and seeds were unheard of. We lived on apples and pears and bananas.

MY kids eat a cheese and salad sandwich for lunch every day. It varies on type of cheese and salad though. E.g. one day will be cream cheese with cucumber and mint from the garden, the next will be tasty cheese tomato and chive ect

#15 ELF_em_bee

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

That’s amazing for $200!
The only way I can think of to reduce that amount would be to go to Costco (if you live near one) and buy the packaged and tinned  food in bulk every 2 months or so.  Their tinned food and pasta is very cheap but good quality.
The meat etc there is also great but you need a lot of freezer storage.

#16 mayahlb

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

^^ yep. I don’t know if your teens are boys or girls but my 11yr old requires being filled seemingly constantly with carbohydrates and what protein I can get into him. My general shop is:
1 box farm fresh veg (about 16kg of various vegetables) for $70
2kg apples
1kg bananas
1kg capsicum (odd bunch only as cheap but good)
3 $5 bags of baby spinach
1kg tasty cheese
3 x pkts ONIM corn tortillas (10pkt)
20L of milk (just don’t ask on that one)
2 boxes cereal (rice bubbles and corn flakes)
4 loaves wholemeal bread
1.5 kg chicken breast
1kg lean mince
4 tins corn kernels
4tins various beans
1kg pasta
2 tins tomato
1kg grain free dried food for cats
6 cans grain free wet food for cats
1 bag litter

(Add various other ingredients depending on what we are eating that week and what’s on special)

Edited by mayahlb, 04 December 2019 - 02:42 PM.

#17 FiveAus

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

That seems like a LOT of food for the money. There's just two of us, plus pets (7 dogs and 2 cats)  we mostly shop in Aldi and we spend a lot more than that.

#18 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 04 December 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

MY kids eat a cheese and salad sandwich for lunch every day. It varies on type of cheese and salad though. E.g. one day will be cream cheese with cucumber and mint from the garden, the next will be tasty cheese tomato and chive ect

That’s great, but what I mean is, add more sandwiches. Have some bread and butter as a side for dinner, means less meat and veg required. Have some extra toast and jam for breakfast, means less fruit and whatever else for breakfast. Have a ham sandwich for afternoon tea.
At $2 a loaf, bread is a great filler, as a side to the more nutritious stuff.

We were somewhat poor growing up, but my really poor friends lived off bread, they had it with every meal. Bread and a glass of milk.

#19 Crombek

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

Your carbs are all on the $$ side - is there a gluten issue? I’d also be looking at things like olives - does anyone *need* a kilo of olives?

The other factor you may not have considered is fuel cost - your bang for your grocery buck is excellent, but if your having to drive lots of extra places it may not be as cost effective as it appears.

#20 Kallie88

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

That's a lot of fruit for 1 week

1 kilo apples
21 bananas
500gm red grapes
7 apricots
7 plums
7 peaches
500gm cherries
7 punnets strawberries
3 punnets blueberries
1 punnet raspberries
14 mangos
1 pineapple
5kg oranges

Is like 1x apricot, plum, peach, strawberry punnet, 3 bananas, probably 1 apple, 2 mangos, 2-3 oranges (or maybe you juice them?) and some mixed berries, cherries, pineapple and grapes per person per day. Is all of that being eaten?
I'd probably be choosing 2-3 fruits per week (ones at a low price) and cycle through. For instance, we got 2 kilo of bananas last week and I think 1 kilo of nectarines since they were on special with our fruit and veg. My kids are much littler, so they won't get through all that, bananas will cycle through next week and I'll top up with less next week. Nectarines that don't get eaten I'll chop and freeze for later.

I agree with other pps, all that for $200 looks pretty good, but if you wanted to cut down I'd be looking at how much of that you actually use in the week, what you have in the cupboard and meal plan. I'm actually planning to pantry shop as much as possible for the first few months of next year because my cupboard is overflowing with stuff, dunno if you're cupboards might be similar?

#21 Pocket...

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

I have no idea how you manage to get that much food for $200! I want tips from you

#22 mayahlb

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Pocket..., on 04 December 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

I have no idea how you manage to get that much food for $200! I want tips from you ������

I want to live somewhere that has a fruit and veg shop again. Coles and Woolies are exxy and our only other options if farm fresh boxes which aren't exactly cheap either. Heck I went to the shops the other day and bought two bags of groceries for $90... we likely spend easily $250/week

Edited by mayahlb, 04 December 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#23 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostKallie88, on 04 December 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

That's a lot of fruit for 1 week

1 kilo apples
21 bananas
500gm red grapes
7 apricots
7 plums
7 peaches
500gm cherries
7 punnets strawberries
3 punnets blueberries
1 punnet raspberries
14 mangos
1 pineapple
5kg oranges

Is like 1x apricot, plum, peach, strawberry punnet, 3 bananas, probably 1 apple, 2 mangos, 2-3 oranges (or maybe you juice them?) and some mixed berries, cherries, pineapple and grapes per person per day. Is all of that being eaten?
I'd probably be choosing 2-3 fruits per week (ones at a low price) and cycle through. For instance, we got 2 kilo of bananas last week and I think 1 kilo of nectarines since they were on special with our fruit and veg. My kids are much littler, so they won't get through all that, bananas will cycle through next week and I'll top up with less next week. Nectarines that don't get eaten I'll chop and freeze for later.

I agree with other pps, all that for $200 looks pretty good, but if you wanted to cut down I'd be looking at how much of that you actually use in the week, what you have in the cupboard and meal plan. I'm actually planning to pantry shop as much as possible for the first few months of next year because my cupboard is overflowing with stuff, dunno if you're cupboards might be similar?

You’re right, mentally I assumed it was a fortnightly shop. That would do us for a month. But some people eat a lot of fruit.

What do you do with 2 avocados a day though OP? We might use 4-5 a week, on a particularly salad-filled week.

#24 nom_de_plume

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

To me that seems a good price for what you’ve purchased. Only suggestions I have are to buy fruit and veg that are in season (and therefore cheaper), and check out if you have a market or wholesaler close to you as they often have the best prices. We aren’t buying things like stone fruit at $6/kg, grapes at $8/kg or cherries at $20/kg at the moment as they’re too expensive.

#25 Kreme

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

I think that you are getting great value for your $200 but I do question how you get through that much fruit and veg in a week?

212 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 208 guests, 4 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.