Travel luggage

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

Following on from the hand luggage thread. I was wondering what check in luggage people had?

I am using the high Sierra medium wheeled duffel bags but you can’t attach your carry on luggage onto these.

#2 night jasmine

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

We use samsonite softside 4 wheel spinners in large or medium. I’ve just purchased a large high Sierra duffle (without wheels) so will try that on our next trip in a few weeks. It’s very light, holds 84L and can be used as a backpack as well.

#3 dadwasathome

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:43 PM

Antler soft sided spinners 68cm. Plus one similar sized Delsey that is heavier and just not quite as good.

#4 can'tstayaway

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

Samsonite hard sided Cosmolite 4 wheel spinners.

They are light so it doesn’t eat into luggage allowances and really strong. I have them in all the sizes and choose which one(s) to use based on where we’re going and how many people.

If it’s just myself and a young child, using a large single bag is easier for me to manage. If the older kids are with me, the extra useful hands means the medium bags are more practical, especially if we’re in separate rooms so it’s a bag each/per room.

#5 Lifesgood

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

We have a combination of different types.

DH and I have Kathmandu backpacks with wheels and handles so we can use them either as backpacks or wheelie bags.

The kids have suitcases - soft-side Antler bags with 2 or 4 wheels.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

Husband has 3 x wheelie Samsonite soft sided.

Mine are a clearout design from Strandbags 'own brand', for a fraction of the price, and after travelling with both brands a few times, it's clear you get what you pay for.  Got 3 x wheelies plus a 'dome' bag for on board which has a flap that slides over the handle of the suitcases, which I love.

Not that I think his are twice as good as mine, but there's definitely a difference.

Given the amount of travelling we're doing, after a many-decade hiatus they'll all get plenty of use.

#7 Apageintime

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

I have a large and a medium samsonite hard side suitcases, the top of the line (at the time) ones. We spent big as we knew we would use them.

Took us ages to find a hard side that zipped up both sides, which this does!

They're great, done 100s of flights each (although the large is too large and we don't use that one as much), cobblestone streets, trains, up and down stairs been bashed and lugged around. My 5 year old sits easily on top so we can push him around on it through an airport, and while waiting in line to check in which we loves. Easy peasy.

#8 night jasmine

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

I find the large samsonite too large as well. We’ve never packed it to capacity and I think if we did it would be above the OHS limit for the baggage handlers.

Most of the time we travel with two mediums or one large and one medium.

#9 can'tstayaway

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

The large Samsonite is big but useful in certain situations. When we used to lug presents around the world, it would fit odd shaped stuff easily. When I was travelling solo with a young child, I could fit all our stuff in one side and then quickly stuff our carry on luggage in the other side so I only had one bag to manoeuvre through the airport which left one hand free to hold the child’s hand.

I can often travel to warm climates with just carry on luggage for myself. At different stages of life, the big one was really useful. I think the last time I used it was 2 years ago for a family o/s Christmas trip and crammed full, it was still under the weight restriction.

#10 night jasmine

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

Yeah when we don’t need to move around much, like going to a single destination and parking ourselves there for the duration of the trip, we take the large. It’s very sturdy yet super light, and has never been full.

Our luggage limit is usually 30kg a person but I think the per item limit is set at 23kg.

#11 can'tstayaway

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

View Postnight jasmine, on 25 November 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Our luggage limit is usually 30kg a person but I think the per item limit is set at 23kg.
Ever since getting the Cosmolite suitcases, we have never come close to the 23kg (or is it 26kg??) per item limit.

I was interstate just the other week, and my medium sized bag was 12kg while friends checking in similar sized bags were 16-18kg.

#12 dadwasathome

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

View Postcan, on 25 November 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ever since getting the Cosmolite suitcases, we have never come close to the 23kg (or is it 26kg??) per item limit.

I was interstate just the other week, and my medium sized bag was 12kg while friends checking in similar sized bags were 16-18kg.

Our Antler medium bags are 2.2kg each empty. Once in one bag we came close to our limit but I think there were a couple of bottles of wine as well as clothes.

#13 2bundles

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

Antler Juno medium 4 wheel. V light and sturdy. Never go close to weight limit. Kids/teens take slightly smaller 4 wheeled hard cases.

#14 -Emissary-

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:49 PM

We have a 3 pieces set of Antler Lightening that we picked up for $230 on sale. Absolute bargain.  We also got another med size American Tourister. DH prefers taking the med size ones on holidays as they’re easier to carry.

We have never really gone over 20 kgs for the med size ones.

#15 Crazyone26989

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:41 AM

Not to hijack thread but which Samsonite do people recommend? We need a new case. Two adults and a baby who travel regularly but just to one location most of the time.

#16 night jasmine

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:23 AM

We have the samsonite b’lite range. I can’t remember which b’lite as it’s been years. At the time it was one of the lightest on the market but you can get much lighter in other brands now. We’ve used it on at least 20 trips now, with rough handling. It’s still fine.

In desperation on a return trip from Singapore we bought a Delsey after a big day of shopping and the handle jammed on the way to the airport - it hadn’t even completed one flight!

#17 dadwasathome

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:05 AM

View Postnight jasmine, on 03 December 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

In desperation on a return trip from Singapore we bought a Delsey after a big day of shopping and the handle jammed on the way to the airport - it hadn’t even completed one flight!

Yeah, we picked up a Delsey at the end of a Christmas trip a few years ago and it's the one that's used the least. Even the antler with the slightly wonky handle is used more often than the Delsey - there's just something not quite great about it.

Will prob need an extra bag at the end of the upcoming trip, but it won't be Delsey.

#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

We have a ton of luggage that we’ve collected over the years.

Most used check ins are the Antler Juno 2 and Samsonite Oct2lite medium wheelie bags.

We also have a fantastic Samsonite duffle bags with wheels that we use when headed to colder climates.   All the jackets, boots and cold weather accessories are jammed in there until we need them.  Then the bag folds flat and can be rolled under a bed at the destination

#19 charmed30

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:43 AM

We have been using American Tourister for years and years. They are under Samsonite and can't fault the durability of their bags. Great warranty and after sales support as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.