Cordless stick vacuums?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie83

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Hello, with an impending cesarean next year I’m thinking ahead how I can make life easier.

I need to purchase a cordless stick vacuum as our current one is literally an industrial one that’s extremely heavy and cumbersome.

Looking at Dyson but it’s a lot of dollars and the one I have used didn’t blow my socks off for what you pay.

Also looked at Bosch and Electrolux at Harvey Norman. Do they compare to Dyson I don’t know?

What’s your recommendations? Worth forking out for the Dyson or go with another brand?

Edited by Ollie83, 19 November 2019 - 11:02 AM.

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

Love my Electrolux Lithium battery one. 3 years old and still going strong. I refuse to pay for Dyson prices plus my parents also have an Electrolux as well and no problems.

#3 Chapvane

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Following as sick of hauling my heavy vac around to. It’s constantly out due to messy teenage boys & a dog that loves bringing the outside in!!

#4 More cheese Gromit

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

Just to slightly hijack this topic ..sorry OP.. maybe you have hard floors too so it could be a helpful hijack

If anyone can recommend a stick vac for hard floors that would be awesome

#5 Jenflea

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

I love my Dyson, it's the V8 Absolute, does hard floors and carpets.
I got it pretty cheaply at Costco last year.

#6 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

I bought a xiomai dreme off amazon for about $280.  So far its marvelous but I have only had it about 2 months so I cant comment on longevity but its easy to use and quite good suction for various surfaces.

Xiomai make decent phone hardware so I am hoping the vacuum is similar.

#7 Etcetera

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

We have a Vax one and it sucks (and not in the good way!). It loses suction, doesnt pick up the bigger stuff (it just sits in the head and when you turn it off, the crap comes straight out.
My Dyson should be here by the end of the week.

#8 nasty buddha

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Look at ebay sales for good guys if you go for dyson. I love mine v8 absolute.

#9 decisionsdecisions

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

I have a cordless Bissell one which is still going strong after 4 or 5 years.  Great on our wooden floors, picks everything up with the rotating brush in the head. Also has removable hand vacuum for sofas, etc.  Bought at Godfreys for around the $200 mark I think.

#10 Sash

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

I bought the Electrolux Ergorapido Allergy a week ago and so far I love it. It was $290 at The Good Guys. Only runs for 20 minutes though, that’s the only thing I don’t like.
I also have a Dyson Animal but don’t like the design of it (heavy motor at the top). I also spent more time unclogging it than using it.

#11 tiggy2

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

I have a Dyson v8 that I love, it’s great on both hard floors and carpets.
I also have a proper big Dyson that I hate and never use, it clogs non stop and you have to change heads when you go from floorboards to carpet.

#12 #notallcats

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

I have a plug in Dyson that is awesome but I also have a LG cordless that I love... so easy for a quick clean up for furry cat and kids.  I have hard wood floors mainly.

#13 eigne

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

We have the Dyson v10 and it has fully changed my attitude towards vacuuming - I used to avoid it at all costs, now I volunteer! Who even am I anymore?!

#14 BornToLove

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:47 AM

We have a Dyson V8 absolute. It has a ‘fluffy’ attachment for hard floors (timber, tile etc) that just sucks up every crumb and hair on our floors.

#15 alchetta

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:36 AM

I swear by my Dyson and vacuum way more often now because it's so quick and easy. You might get an older model a lot cheaper. Ours is a V6 I think. Got it straight from Dyson on sale about two years ago. Hard floors and carpet no problem.

#16 10YearsLater

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

I also have a V8 absolute and it’s great on my hardfloors. I have 2 fluffy cats and a dog and vacuuming everyday is a breeze. Someone recently told me their V11 is amazing and 10 x better than the V8 so now I have vacuum envy. Others swear by their cheaper brands but I’ve not used another brand that compares to the Dyson (I’m sure they’re out there).

I had a battery issue with mine and also broke the dust catcher (my fault). Dyson replaced both, free of charge. Mum’s also had the same battery issue outside of warranty. It was replaced free of charge and the lady on the phone gave her tips on why the battery didn’t last and what to do to ensure it did.

I have a Miele corded vacuum that I bring out once a week to do the entire house but the Dyson is used daily to keep on top of all the mess (2 cats, 1 dog, a pre-teen and a toddler... there’s always mess to vacuum!)

#17 kimasa

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

I have a second hand v6 and it's fantastic on both the tiles and carpet, but I will add a disclaimer on that when we built this place we had a pet hair repelling carpet recommended to us by the building company and all the hair balls up on top like little cat tumbleweeds.

#18 123tree

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:45 AM

There is apparently an amazing deal on the Dyson in the Black Friday sales at big w.

We have an absolute and find that good as it has a hard floor head and a carpet head. However I don’t use it much so I can’t comment much. I hate vacuuming.

#19 Ozquoll

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

View Postdecisionsdecisions, on 19 November 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

I have a cordless Bissell one which is still going strong after 4 or 5 years.  Great on our wooden floors, picks everything up with the rotating brush in the head. Also has removable hand vacuum for sofas, etc.  Bought at Godfreys for around the $200 mark I think.
I somehow hadn't heard of this brand until recently - Choice rated it's stick vacs higher than Dyson's!

#20 Ozquoll

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:02 AM

View Postkimasa, on 23 November 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

.....we had a pet hair repelling carpet recommended to us by the building company and all the hair balls up on top like little cat tumbleweeds.
What a great idea!

OT, but it reminds me of when I once dogsat a very nervous dog while its owners holidayed. The house was mostly hardwood floors, but in the middle of the living room was a rug - one of those highly patterned Persian rugs - nearly matted over with hair the dog had shed 🤢. I asked where they kept their vacuum...and they kindly assured me I didn't need to do any housework while I was there, just focus on looking after the dog 🤦😆. When I finally found the vacuum, it was broken 😕.

That poor dog though - it had attachment issues and completely freaked out that the owners had gone away. It didn't eat for the whole week they were gone, and the only way I could get it to drink was by getting it to chase the hose and "bite" the stream of water 😧.

#21 Popper

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

I bought bottom of the line Dyson for $300 3 years ago. It is still great! I threw out the old upright Dyson as this one does the whole house. I must admit though that I regularly service it myself and have had it serviced professionally this year.

I am going to buy again via Big W black Friday sale for $350 to have a spare.

#22 MessyJ

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

I also have a Dyson, can't remember the make - whatever was great 5 years ago, and it's still going strong! Though the 'high' setting doesn't work anymore (I used to only ever vacuum on high so I think I broke it!) but I'm so happy with it!

I've worn the little bristle bits in the rolly head to almost nothing as it's had constant use over a big house with kids for 5 years - but I won't bother replacing parts, just wait till it dies and buy another I think.

I've heard a few people really recommend the Shark brand as being superior to the Dyson (better battery life, lighter, more functions, stands up on it's own etc) so I would research that before I buy again, despite being happy with Dyson so far!

#23 -Emissary-

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

We have a V8 that DH got given by his boss.

It’s great for spot cleaning but I find the suction on our small C1 Miele so much better.

#24 ~Bob~

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

I have a Dyson. I love it on carpets. It picks up so much stuff. I hate it on my floorboards. It’s allergic to crumbs and it spits them backward, where you’ve already vacuumed and you have to keep going back to get it. It ends up adding a lot of unnecessary time to the vacuuming. Pulling out the old fashioned sweeping brush is much faster.

When this dies, I’ll look at the LG one with two batteries. That looks awesome.

#25 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

I’ve got a Dyson DC44 animal. Must be 7-8 years old...still going strong with one battery replacement just in the last 12 months. No problem on hard floors. Also have a really old Dyson regular vacuum, which I think is about 14 years old, maybe more...doesn’t get used much anymore, but still good when it does get dragged out. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Dyson.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 23 November 2019 - 10:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.