So I just did a 12mth analysis of what we spent

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:00 PM

sh*t! :omg:

There's nothing like doing a full analysis of what your income and expenditure has been for the last 12 months. Unfortunately we have had a LOT of unusual expenditure that we don't normally have but it has been a real eye opener and rather sobering :(

I guess it has given me clarity now that I want our expenses to be less than our income and I definitely want a bigger buffer for unexpected costs.

Anyone else done this recently and been surprised (good or bad)?

I am definitely in at least low level shock and it is going to have a direct and immediate impact on what I spend. Small benefit I guess....

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

I track our expenses. I'm always blown away by how much we spend. Almost to the point of overwhelm.

#3 Mands09

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:16 PM

Yes we did this 2 years ago. Analyses the previous 2 years of spending line by line, grouping into categories. It was eyewatering in some instances (DH spending thousands on in-app game purchases for example). Certainly led to behaviour change.

#4 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

We have a lot of tax expenses (car travel, parking, etc) so every tax time I do a bit of a forensic analysis of the year and go look at what we've spent so I can see what's claimable.

I am always horrified by how much DH spends on lunch and have to tell him off; and how much I spend on groceries, and vow that I'll be better.

#5 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:20 PM

Its been a few years since we did our last one, and I had a feeling we were spending above our means but to see it in black and white (and to get all the different account data in the same place) at least puts it into a more wholistic financial picture, even if its scary.

#6 BusbyWilkes

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

We need to do this but it always seems like such an overwhelming job. How did you do it? Reviewing bank and credit card statements manually and categorising expenses?

#7 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:39 PM

Download the last 12mths into excel, sort by name/description, add a column to put in a category eg car, income, groceries and then I did a pivot table but you could do a simple sum (just takes longer).

Just be careful - some accounts have debit and credit columns and some just have them both in the same column but with a minus for the debits. You need to make sure they are all the same format in one column.

Edited by purpleduck, 18 November 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#8 Mands09

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

^ this is how we did it too.

#9 LiveLife

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:07 PM

Coffee annual spend...... sh*t that’s stupid.

#10 Charli73

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:48 AM

How do you download it into excel using bank statements?

Edited by Charli73, 19 November 2019 - 04:49 AM.

#11 WaitForMe

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:06 AM

View PostCharli73, on 19 November 2019 - 04:48 AM, said:

Look for something about downloading into a CSV file. It stands for Comma Separated Value, Excel can open it.

If you tell us what bank you are with there is probably someone here who can give you instructions.

Edited by WaitForMe, 19 November 2019 - 05:07 AM.

#12 IamzFeralz

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

View PostCharli73, on 19 November 2019 - 04:48 AM, said:

Your online banking usually allows you to download the statements in different formats - CSV is the one I use. You do the download, then open up Excel and from there open up the file you downloaded from your online banking.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:12 AM

Every now and then I go back over our expenses and yeah... eye opener.

I find it a bit overwhelming of how to improve. Its always a case of finding little bits we could save but we'd need to find so many of those little bits to get any significant benefit. For us theres never just one or two big amounts somewhere and all we need to do is cut those out.

#14 red_squirrel

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:26 AM

View PostLiveLife, on 18 November 2019 - 11:07 PM, said:

Coffee annual spend...... sh*t that’s stupid.

If you can afford it it isn’t. You are helping to keep that business afloat.

Imagine if we all only spent on what we absolutely need, how many businesses would close down? How many would then be out of a job. Things would deteriorate rapidly.

Some might argue that this is fantastic but I’m not one of them.  I spend in the businesses I want to still see going in these tough retail times.

#15 Sancti-claws

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:29 AM

My budgeting spreadsheet does this anyway.

My main "eek" is that fact that, with all of our necessaries, the wiggle room is getting smaller every month.

#16 Mooples

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:03 AM

Dh tracks every dollar we spend. We go over our budget by around $1000 every month because of all the out of the ordinary things that pop up. Life is so expensive!

#17 -Emissary-

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:05 AM

We did recently.

I have always had a decent gauge on what and how we spend our money on so nothing really come as a huge surprise. DH was a bit shocked but that’s because he rarely looks at the credit card (despite his numerous trips to Bunnings).

We spend a lot on food (including coffee, lunches and occasional dinner out).

Edited by -Emissary-, 19 November 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#18 Wahwah

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:18 AM

I did it a few months ago. Showed DH that he spends nearly $7k a year on parking, lunch and coffee. He could take public transport and has never taken lunch to work in the 20 years we have been together. No behaviour change here though.

#19 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

We use pocketbook to track expenses and budget. Sometimes  it is very confronting how much a family costs to run.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:48 AM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 18 November 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

We need to do this but it always seems like such an overwhelming job. How did you do it? Reviewing bank and credit card statements manually and categorising expenses?

Yep, we spend very little cash, apart from a few specific things (hairdresser and cleaner) so that wasn't too hard.

As per another thread, I also divided some expenses into fixed and optional.  Basic water, electricity, gas is fixed. Choosing to run the aircon, having a lawn etc is optional.

I saw 'pocketbook' recommended on an ASX webinar the other day, so assume it's good.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostWahwah, on 19 November 2019 - 06:18 AM, said:

I did it a few months ago. Showed DH that he spends nearly $7k a year on parking, lunch and coffee. He could take public transport and has never taken lunch to work in the 20 years we have been together. No behaviour change here though.

Staggering, isn't it, when you actually add up those 'small' daily expenses.

Maybe you should go into a site like Canstar and show him what $7,000 pa compounded over the number of years to retirement, would get him in super.

If he's got less than $25k going in via an employer, the balance is tax deductible, too.

#22 purpleduck

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:22 AM

Again, i think it really isn’t a problem if you spend $7k on coffee as long as your income is high enough to afford that.

We don’t have any credit cards and we can absorb some unexpected expenses but when it’s one after the other, it erodes the small buffer we have.

I think we can be relatively thoughtless when spending. Tapping a card also isn’t as painful as handing over cold hard cash.

#23 maryanneK

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:29 AM

I do this from time to time. What depresses me is not the "frivolous" spending, because we don't really do a lot of that, but how much we spend just on the non negotiables/ essentials.

#24 Babetty

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 19 November 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

I think we can be relatively thoughtless when spending. Tapping a card also isn’t as painful as handing over cold hard cash.

We have a fortnightly cash "allowance" for this reason - to cover coffees, lunches, etc and we both save some of it for personal indulgences as all our other money is shared and it's nice to have a stash to spend without discussing, etc. It's fairly generous as we can afford it, but just that sheer visual reminder of seeing the purse empty as the fortnight goes on helps keep my coffee & cake habit in check (and the incentive of seeing my savings envelope grow!)

From the reaction at the coffee shop etc there are not that many people still using cash for small expenses!

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 19 November 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

Again, i think it really isn’t a problem if you spend $7k on coffee as long as your income is high enough to afford that.

We don’t have any credit cards and we can absorb some unexpected expenses but when it’s one after the other, it erodes the small buffer we have.

I know what you've said is what happens for most people, but I'm a bit the opposite.  Cash evaporates, whereas tapping the credit card means I have a record of it, and what it was spent on.

I can go for weeks with 10c in my wallet. That was a bit inadvertent, as I usually have a sneaky $50 tucked into my phone case for emergencies, and times when I out with just my phone, but shows you how much I prefer the card.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.