Baby's nickname (Fluffy/WWYD)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ragdoll01

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:46 PM

So when DH & I were choosing names very early on in the pregnancy we talked about the importance of initials cause between us we know a woman whose initials spell RIP and a man that spells out BUM

Months later we settled on a name without thinking of the initials, which is going to be OPM. Which sounds like Opium... Which made me think of Poppy as a nickname. As a joke I blurted that out and now we've been calling her Poppy for 6 months.

Now that people are asking me about her name (still haven't told anyone) I wonder, is nick-naming(?) my baby a drug inappropriate? Am I encouraging being shamed for her nickname in the far of future when she has to explain why her nickname is so far from her first name? What do you think?

Edited by Ragdoll01, 18 November 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#2 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

I think it's hilarious! And very cute.

Once age appropriate to be explained to her, I am sure she won't be shamed.

For a laugh I can tell you my babies nickname will be 'Jesus' as it is immature conception from donor sperm!

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

A poppy is a flower not a drug. Nothing wrong with a flower nickname.

Make up something that you feel is acceptable eg she's a little poppet, therefore Poppy; She "popped" into your life; your bellybutton popped out during pregnancy.

I kind of regret not giving my DD a middle name starting with M. If I had her initials would have been IMP which would be perfect for her.

#4 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

I think its funny somebody's initials spell BUM.  But im very immature :rofl:

#5 Murderino

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:58 PM

I call my daughter Chicken and my son Buddy - these names bare no resemblance to their names. No one has ever asked why I call them that.

If you were ever asked why Poppy you can just say it’s what you called her while pregnant and it stuck, you don’t have to say how you got to Poppy.

#6 400

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:27 PM

If you were calling her a nickname like “smack” or “pinger” or something blatantly drug-obvious, then that would be silly.

But Poppy is an adorable actual name, with a cute story attached.

I say go for it!

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

I know of an adorable little moppet whose nickname is Meatball! Poppy seems tame by comparison 😆

#8 Sancti-claws

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

My father-in-law has been known as Sonny all of his life - because of a cutesy nickname that his mum and her girlfriends had when talking about the pet duck "Sonny" that lived down the road...

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

Some of the nicknames for babies/kids that I have heard:
Boo
Trucker (because that's the PC version ...)
Fluffy
Monkey
Tickles
Giggles
Mandy/Mandarin (I have no idea where that one comes from!)
Sweet Pea
Precious (sorry, I think LotR every time!)
Princess
Tiger
Punk
Possum

I know two mums (who live in different towns) who call their girls "Moo". I have no idea why.

Poppy seems pretty sedate compared to some of the nicknames I have heard. And I love the backstory with it too!

#10 MsLaurie

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

My eldest was “blob” as a foetus, then “pumpkin” almost immediately. I guess she just kind of had a pumpkin head?!? Pumpkin has definitely stuck.
The youngest started out being called “koala”, but now seems to mainly get “mischief”. I think those are quite self-explanatory 😂

#11 Amica

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

I think you are waaaaay over thinking it, starting right back at the initials thing.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 18 November 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I think it's hilarious! And very cute.

Once age appropriate to be explained to her, I am sure she won't be shamed.

For a laugh I can tell you my babies nickname will be 'Jesus' as it is immature conception from donor sperm!

Lol.  Friend went to a 40th for a bloke who had three small kids so their life was pretty chaotic.  His Dad gave a speech about how much they'd enjoyed their grandchildren, and would welcome more.

The Dad interjected with 'we'd call it Jesus'.

Friend wasn't sure if it referred to permanent birth control, or the sheer exhaustion of three small children leaving a very low likelihood of hanky panky. He suspected the latter.

#13 TheirMum2

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:44 AM

We have three girls in our extended family, all varying ages, and all with the nickname moo or moo moo. None of us realised that we all called our daughters by the same nickname until I called out to my little one and all three answered. Confusing when they are all there sometimes - but we have stuck with the nicknames. Moo does not resemble in any way any of their given names. My little one even gets called Moo at school by both staff and students.

Poppy is super cute - as a nickname or a given name!

#14 AJPM

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

I call my little girl moo. It started as missy moo (don't know why) and now shortened to moo.

#15 kimasa

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 18 November 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

I think its funny somebody's initials spell BUM.  But im very immature :rofl:

We were lucky we didn't have a boy because the only boys names we could agree on would be "ASS".

#16 PreachersWife

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

I call my youngest DD “Toula”! We’re not Greek, it’s nothing close to her name but it’s stuck. She knows it’s her “name” and she love shaving a special, funny name!

Poppy is a lovely name

#17 sahmie

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:11 PM

You’ll be fine with that nickname. No one is as invested in your kid as you are, so if anyone asks they’re really only doing it to be polite/make conversation.
And poppy is quite beautiful and very tame as far as NNs go. Princess consuela banana hammock may get an eyebrow raise (or a high five from the right audience ;)) but poppy will do neither.

#18 chicken_bits

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostAJPM, on 19 November 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

I call my little girl moo. It started as missy moo (don't know why) and now shortened to moo.

Me too!

My daughter is Missy moo and she calls me Mumma moo. Both shorten to moo.

#19 alchetta

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

DD has been Booboo, Schnook and most recently Nooshie which is sometimes expanded to Nooshie with a very tiny tooshie. Poppy seems pretty tame!

#20 Chocolate Addict

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:52 PM

If you told me your kids name or nickname was Poppy I wouldn't think of drugs,I would think of a flower.

How often are initials written anyway? I can't remember the last time I have needed to write my kids name as initials nor would they have.

My kids nicknames include boof, skets, sketti, (as in ready spaghetti), and lou lou. My child is a boy lol Lou lou is part of a longer sentence involving his first name but got shortened to lou lou. I am the only one that calls him that. :)

He has a nick name for me too. :)

Am I think only one trying to work out what man's name starts with the letter U?

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

View Postsahmie, on 19 November 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Princess consuela banana hammock may get an eyebrow raise (or a high five from the right audience Posted Image)
That'd be a high five from me!
:rofl: :rofl:

#22 seayork2002

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

I would probably not go for the initials but the name poppy or poppie or poppee (or any other version) itself I know a few and no the drug never crossed my name for that name

#23 hellsmail

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

My mum has three daughters and we all got a flower name as well as our christian names.  None of the flower names have anything to do with our christian names, and though my sisters and I are all well into our 50s and 60s  our mum still calls us by our flower names.

Edited by hellsmail, 19 November 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#24 BadCat

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

Overthinking.  Go the drug name.

#25 JomoMum

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostAliasMater, on 19 November 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

I think you are waaaaay over thinking it, starting right back at the initials thing.

I agree. I wouldn’t give it any thought if I heard that as a nick name. And full initials - When would you ever see those written down? I don’t know the full initials of, um, anyone outside my husband and own child.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.