Woolies and Coles online shopping tips

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

Must be an age and time of year thing, the more I go to my local mall, the less I want to be there :rolleyes:

I'm contemplating doing some online shopping with Coles and/or Woolworths.

Things I'm not sure about:
- how do they bag things? I don't want plastic and we usually take our own.
- how often do you actually get everything you ordered? I remember seeing threads about how painful these places are when they don't include have key ingredients you need etc
- the items are sometimes more expensive online vs in store.... is that still the case?
- quality of the fresh produce they select?
- is click and collect a good option or is it at risk of all of the above?

Any other tips?

#2 Apple14

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

I have used both.
Coles I opt for bagless and they bring crates of food and I just dump it onto my table. Only things they bag is frozens.
Woolies bag everything and then you’re meant to give the bags back(?). I always end up with endless bags I don’t want.
I don’t order (or try not to) fruit and veg as I go to the fruit and veg market.
They do sometimes substitute and charge you for the cheaper product. I’ve never had an issue as it’s usually the same but different brand.
I’ve only ever had 1 time missing something, and they refund it straight back onto your card.
If you think you’ll order often, coles have started a delivery prog where you pay a set fee for the month and as long as it’s over $100, all deliveries are free.
I’m on the free month trial as I hate shopping in dec so plan on getting all my food delivered (for free)

The main reason I use online delivery is we are a family of 8, so they are not small shops (think 6x3ltrs milk, 10xbread etc) and it saves me packing, lugging and driving 30min each way.

#3 Apple14

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:55 AM

Oh also, they have started to deliver alcohol!
Which is great when they have specials on..they’ll deliver it with your food. Again, saves me an hour round trip (although we are not big drinkers but was great to just order wine for friends for Xmas, and not have to do anything more than click a button).

#4 71Cath

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:55 AM

I use Woolies on line. I started using it after I had a car accident and couldn't drive for a few weeks.  Now I'm just lazy.   I'm pretty happy with it.

Woolies has the "crate to bench" option - no bags.  It is supposed to be an extra $2, but they had a deal a while ago - delivery to bench for $19 per month ( a saving from $9 per delivery), which works well for me.  They just come n and dump it on your bench.

I've always been happy with the fresh stuff.

The prices are the same I think, and I always tick the "happy to substitute" box, so more chance of getting what I need.

I find it saves me money - no impulse buying.

#5 Hollycoddle

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 18 November 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Must be an age and time of year thing, the more I go to my local mall, the less I want to be there :rolleyes:

I'm contemplating doing some online shopping with Coles and/or Woolworths.

Lol no advice but I had to come in and comment, I got that feeling the other day when I was lined up at Aldi with a full trolley ie. why do I do this to myself?? I have done Woolies online in the past, I'm going to go back to it for a while.  No issues here with paying a bit more to avoid the ordeal that is grocery shopping.  I was about to start putting a few things away for Christmas with each shop, I think now I'll just do a single Woolies online delivery of nibbles/snacks and just buy the fresh stuff a day or two before Christmas Day.

I have had a few 'wtf' moments when unpacking which were probably my own fault. ie. I once unwrapped two honey soy chicken wings.  I think what had happened was that I ordered two actual wings but thought I'd been ordering 2kg.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 18 November 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#6 Kallie88

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

We've been doing click and collect with woolies for the past year. I check the "bring our own bags" option so dh (who picks up on his way home from work once a week) gets a trolley of the loose items and usually just puts them straight in the car, but of course could bag them if he chose. Frozen stuff still comes in the plastic bags, but that's it.  

I don't think we've ever been missing anything, though a couple of times we've had things substituted. It's good when you get a better product but once I got woolies home brand pringles instead of the brand name and they weren't as good lol. Everything else had generally been a better product because i get the cheapest version available.

I'm pretty sure prices are the same.

I don't often buy fresh produce, we get that from a separate place, but when i have they've been fine.

#7 MessyJ

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

LOVE online grocery shopping, I mainly use Coles.

Yes, *sometimes* there is no substitute for something you've ordered and they just don't replace it (they let you know in advance and don't charge, but still annoying if it's something you need!!)

Yes sometimes the fruit ans veg is not ideal and NOT the ones I would have picked. Probably smart to do what a PP said and grab those elsewhere at a market, but I'm too lazy.

It's much easier to spot the sales! There's a section only for the 50% off items so I always look through that. If it's essentials you can search first for if they're on sale, so it's easier to make the most of savings.

I always try and pick a day for delivery I'll be home long hours and then if I spend over say $150 they usually always have a deal where if you pick a bigger time slot they delivery for free. I've only paid for delivery once in about 2 years!

I've never done click and collect, I'd prefer to not even leave the house. The joy of someone bringing me piles of groceries right to my kitchen counter is still thrilling and I love the service!!

#8 PaperCats

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

I do Woollies click and collect. No bags except frozen stuff, just get it all in the trolley and then I transfer it to my washing basket in the boot of the car.

I always elect no substitutions because I’m fussy and I think only once have I not got an item because it was unavailable. I think it was bread so I just grabbed a different brand loaf while I was there.

Can’t report on the quality of fruit and veg as I get those separately.

#9 blackcat20

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostPaperCats, on 18 November 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

I do Woollies click and collect. No bags except frozen stuff, just get it all in the trolley and then I transfer it to my washing basket in the boot of the car.

I always elect no substitutions because I’m fussy and I think only once have I not got an item because it was unavailable. I think it was bread so I just grabbed a different brand loaf while I was there.

Can’t report on the quality of fruit and veg as I get those separately.

This is my method as well, though I bag mine up then head to the grocer to get my fruit and veg. I don’t want substitutes so I tick no.

#10 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

I just went online and checked Coles for a few items, and they seem to be the same price as in-store, which is good to see.

#11 gracie1978

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

I've found Woolies a bit easier to deal with when things go wrong.

#12 rosie28

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

Be careful with substitutions- I normally don’t mind, but Coles thinks cage eggs are an appropriate substitute for free range eggs. Their own brand, of course. Anything like that I now make sure to tick “no substitution” for, I’d rather have none.

#13 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

We use Woolies home delivery.

Sometimes substitutions are annoying. Our delivery yesterday had a Greek yoghurt in it. They sent an email saying they had substituted it for a vanilla yoghurt from the same brand. We wouldn’t want vanilla because we mainly use it in savoury dishes, plus we eat low carb. As it turned out though, they delivered the actual one we ordered, plus a Greek yoghurt of another brand, and no vanilla!

#14 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

Random question, but is there anywhere online that you can see Aldi prices? Like for their regular stock, not just specials?

#15 alias grace

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

I much prefer Click and Collect to home delivery as we had issues with Woolworth's regularly delivering outside their 3 hour delivery window.  I have since switched to Coles and our local has a "concierge" Click and Collect service that delivers the groceries to your car boot (we supply the bags and they fill them and put them in the boot).  If your local Coles does the same, I would highly recommend.  I just do a pick up on the way home from work once a week.

The quality of the fresh produce is pretty good.  Not always what I would pick, but I am not bothered enough to do a separate shop.

#16 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

I have used it previously, and it can be handy, but always run into problems.

We get free delivery with coles because of our credit card. But they never have the delivery times I want. They also don't have anywhere to note on items.

With Woolies you can make notes on items (ie, longest date possible) for the milk. This is handy because we aren't huge milk drinkers and I've had to dump too much before. But I always end up having to do a top up shop. For example, Woolies online says that my store doesn't have bulgogi sauce. It does. I just can't buy it online for some ridiculous reason, so I have ti go in and grab it anyway.

#17 purpleduck

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

I hadn't thought about best before dates! All these things I automatically check when I'm out!

#18 foom

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

We use Woolies Click and Collect. The items most likely to be missing is meat and veg - because they aren't in store that day. So I never rely on anything that would spoil dinner if it wasn't there. I'd have to substitute if I was shopping myself anyway, so I make sure I have a backup meal.

I do the bagless option and often the fruit and veg and some of the other stuff is in a fruit box already and the whole box goes in the boot. So at least one more use before it is recycled!

If the fruit and veg at the shop where they will be picking the order is usually good then the fruit and veg will be fine. If it is dodgy and you have to pick carefully then you will get dodgy. I find they are very generous - if I order 1 capsicum and they are a bit on the smaller size I get 2 capsicums. 3 bananas ordered can turn into 5 small bananas.

#19 WaitForMe

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

I absolutely LOVE it!

I do Coles Click & Collect because I can do an online shop in the morning and it will be ready to collect that afternoon whereas delivery you seem to need to give at least a days notice and delivery slots book out. It also means I don't have to worry about being stuck at home waiting.

My local has a 'concierge' service, which means I call them when I arrive and wait in a parking bay for them to bring the groceries to me. They are usually quick but can sometimes have a bit of a queue.

I go bag free. After I've let them know I'm there, I open my big bags in the boot and line them up ready to drop things in straight away, then its really easy for me and them to quickly put them in the bags. A surprising number of people just have everything loose in their boot. Some people have big tubs.

You can select individual items to have an alternative, and you can choose what the alternative is. Personally I prefer to just go in and get a couple missing items, it only takes 5mins and I'm already there. I rarely need to do this though, maybe once a month or less. You begin to clue in on the things they seem to run out of and buy extras when you can, for instance Bonsoy soy milk.

Fruit and veg quality I've never had a problem with. Sometimes they give me way too much which is annoying, eg order 2 onions, get 5+, and no they aren't small ones. Oh and my local store doesn't seem to know what Golden Delicious apples are, they just seem to pick a random apple - I've given up ordering them.

#20 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

They both do crate to bench.  Which is bagless.  Seems to vary a lot whose more reliable store by store.  Where I am I find woolies a lot better, coles missed to many things out of delivery.  If you check substitute all I find you'll usually get what you order or some varient of it.  When I've ordered for weekend delivery I've found there's more stuff missing, probably out of stock in store.  Woolies also are happy to leave the delivery if you're not home, coles won't.  Though if you're getting bagless neither will. I love it.  So much easier than dragging 2or 3 kids in store.

#21 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

Woolies I also seem to be able to put orders in more last minute for delivery.  Coles delivery slots can sometimes fill up 2 days in advance.

#22 Clementinerose

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

I use woolies and it is fantastic.
I always tick substitutions allowed so I normally get a better product than I ordered.
If you don’t want a particular item substituted you can tick to exclude that
You can give instructions for a product, eg dummies for a boy
We get bags but return them each week and receive a dollar refund(that we paid when we ordered)
I have a delivery saver so any order over $100 is free delivery.
Any problems have been resolved quickly by calling the number on the bottom of your receipt. Problems like inadequate substitutions (nappies a different size) or missing items.
If you leave out any esky if your not going to be home they will put cold products in it.

#23 SummerStar

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

I only use woolies partly because they had same price in store as online where as Coles were more expensive.

Coles have caught up on that so the prices are the same  but I have heard from a few people that if you get weighed items and they're higher than the price you paid, Coles bill the difference where as woolies charge no more than the price paid at checkout even if they weigh in at more than you paid. If it weighs in less, woolies refund the difference. You can also select with woolies not to substitute anything which I select as I've had some odd things as substitutes in the past.

When I go in store I go to Coles, when I order home delivery I use woolies only. Just heard too many bad things about Coles to try them.

#24 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

I use woollies and love it.  I always get bags, so not sure how bagless their bagless option is.  I tried bagless once, i still got 2-3 bags (frozen stuff i think, and some produce) and it costs more.  But its an option.

If you get the bags the delivery driver will take away your old bags for recycling.

Usually 1-2 items are "not ins tock" and not substituted.  and 1-2 will be a substitute, this is out of a $300 weekly shop.  So its not too bad, but can be annoying.  Still worth it to not have to take the kids to the shops though.

Fresh food is usually pretty good, if not excellent.  Mangoes and Avocados are the only things i like to pick myself, but even so, if they are in season, you will still get good ones.  I ordered both online just now, hopefully they are OK.

I find i spend less when shopping online because I dont impulse buy and its easy to compare prices on your screen to get the best bargain, and you can go straight to the specials and browse those all together, its really easy to keep costs down.

Some in-shop items and brands arent available on line though, so you may need to try an alternate brand, but im finding this isnt as bad as it used to be. I guess all the brands are fighting for an online presence now.

Our delivery is always at the end of the delivery window, or late.  It used to be really bad, but now it seems to scrape in to the 3 hour window.  I just tick the "leave unattended" box, go a bout my day, and bring the groceries in when im home.  Im in melbourne, our porch is in shade, so nothing overheats in an hour or two.

SO yeah, there are some minor pitfalls, but overall its the best thing ever and i rarely do a big grocery shop in person any more.

p.s. you can get alcohol delivered after 3pm, this is also when you can get fresh baked bread delivered.  So afternoon deliveries are the best ;)

#25 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

I love using the Woolworths delivery and click and collect option.
In the section where you can add notes for each item I add in a note for fruit and vegetables that aren't already pre-packaged that I don't want any plastic bags and that I want them loose in the trolley or crate which they do for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.