Small size uniforms

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bendersmum

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Does anyone know of anywhere I could buy smaller size school uniforms? DD is tiny and the size 4 school shorts I bought her are huge!

#2 gracie1978

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

My friend just had to get her girls uniform altered.

#3 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

School branded shorts are often larger then general sizes. My 9yr old for example, wears size 7-8 in normal shorts, but the school wear ones from target/best and less/the school supplier have to be a size 5.

If it is just a generic colour (ours is black shorts for example), then I would just look for shorts in that colour. Otherwise, look for ones with a drawstring, or if you are good with a sewing machine you could take the side seams in.

Edited by mayahlb, 14 November 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#4 Bendersmum

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

Thanks. It's royal blue, not navy because that would make things just too easy, and I'm hopeless with sewing machines.

There's actually a tailor at the local shopping centre so I might have to go see him.

#5 Charli73

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:32 PM

Can you get a pair of shorts from big w or target until the size 4 fits?

#6 hills mum bec

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 14 November 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

School branded shorts are often larger then general sizes. My 9yr old for example, wears size 7-8 in normal shorts, but the school wear ones from target/best and less/the school supplier have to be a size 5.

Why is this?  My DD8 has the same problem.  The size 6 skort I bought for her at the beginning of this year is way too big but the size 6 fashion shorts she has from exactly the same department store are too small.

#7 rosie28

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

Target has royal blue for school shorts.

#8 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Target do royal blue in 3-4, if they don't have them locally you can click and collect them to your local store.

https://www.target.c...shorts/59616801

ETA: I happen to know these particular target brand ones also have a drawstring which you can use to take in the waist... It makes a difference as long as you don't tighten it too much so they can pull them down to use the loo (we have the black ones).

Edited by mayahlb, 14 November 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#9 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

Royal Blue can be a tricky colour to find in non-school lines. As pp have posted Target goes small. I have bought Royal Blue bottoms at Target, Big W and Best and Less. The Big W school track pants are amazingly durable for the price, I have a pile in the cupboard as they don’t keep a full range near me all year.

#10 Grrrumbles

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

Do girls at your school wear skorts? The stretchy style are a tighter fit and the flowing style have a button fastening that might be able to be moved with minimal sewing skills.

#11 Fourteenyears

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

My kid has just stopped wearing her size four school shorts.  In term four of year five!   And she isn’t even tiny although she is very thin.

In kinder she was tiny.  She wore her shorts and shirt huge and had the dress altered to fit.

#12 ~strawberry~

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

My DD had to wear the dress in summer and homemade pants in winter until she finally fit into the sz 4 skort late in grade 3. She graduated primary school wearing the sz 6 dress and skort - I saved heaps on not having to buy many sizes of uniform over the years! Then she didn't fit the high school uniform and it all continues!
Good luck with your search.

#13 rosie28

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

Try Marks and Spencer too- they have lots with adjustable waists.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Echoing everyone else above, head into target or best & less to buy the generic ones. Kmart also had uniforms at the start of this year as well - not sure about royal blue as its not a common colour for uniforms near me, but they did have bottle green shorts down to a size 2!

#15 melanieb530

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

Best and less has Royal Blue that you can order online if not available in store.

#16 barrington

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostFourteenyears, on 14 November 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

My kid has just stopped wearing her size four school shorts.  In term four of year five!   And she isn’t even tiny although she is very thin.

In kinder she was tiny.  She wore her shorts and shirt huge and had the dress altered to fit.
My year 7 DD is still wearing size 6 school shorts!  We have had to alter her formal dress and have her house shirt made as a special order.

#17 foom

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Have you checked with your school uniform shop about a size 2? We stock a few size 2's but we don't always put them out on the shelves as we don't have many.

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

DD’s size 4 skort is too big, she wears it on PE day and they look ridiculous and usually end up almost falling down. Luckily the school has a dress, and she’s worn that all year, with leggings underneath during winter. The size 4 dress is now looking a bit short so I’ll get some in size 6 for next year, but the skorts are ridiculously big.

#19 SplashingRainbows

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

This is the retail arm of LWReid who do a lot of school uniforms in Australia.

https://www.madeforschool.com.au

They do a size 2 and size 3 in some of their lines. If you want to match the school as closely as possible, this may be worth a look.

#20 LucyGoose

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

My DD is much the same.  We had all her uniforms for FYOS altered.  She had size 3 shorts that were cut down in the length,  and size 4 polos that were cut off in the length.  She just couldn’t wear them without alterations.  
The following year,  she had a size 4 dress altered in the length also.
Our school uniform shop actually did this for me as they couldn’t cater for her.

I have bought her new uniforms for grade 5,  size 6!

#21 twin2

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

Find out from the school how strict they are on uniform. My DS wore size two pants when he started school. I spoke to the principal and she said just get him black shorts until he can fit into the school size 4's. Might be worth a shot if you cant get Royal blue in the size you need.

#22 Bendersmum

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 14 November 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

This is the retail arm of LWReid who do a lot of school uniforms in Australia.

https://www.madeforschool.com.au

They do a size 2 and size 3 in some of their lines. If you want to match the school as closely as possible, this may be worth a look.

They might even be the exact same shorts. And they're in size 2, thanks so much, I was starting to think I might have to duct tape them on her or something!

#23 SplashingRainbows

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:45 PM

Yes, they’ll have a different tag on the inside but at the kids current public school I’ve been able to get a good match. Their returns policy was good too. I think I was only out of pocket shipping.

#24 notsoretro

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

This reminds of when my first boy was starting school and we went to orientation late in the year. There was a little girl in the current kinder (NSW FYOS) whose school shoes were little red toddler sized walking boots!

#25 kimasa

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

DD is tiny and the school specific things I got in the smallest size and they're big and baggy on her (her jumper is particularly amusing).

The generic bottoms I got from Best and Less, they go down to a 3. Still had to hem the pants a little though.

She's normally a 4-5, but school stuff just runs big for some reason. It's also worth noting that if the bottoms are a common colour sometimes you can find things in the general area of Target/Kmart/Big W and so on. DD's is navy and at the moment she's wearing navy 3/4 leggings to school that were just from the general stand at Big W in among the pinks, blues, blacks and so on.

Edited by kimasa, 15 November 2019 - 07:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.