*Spin Off - Do You Prep?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

So following on from the thread for supplies if there is no power/water - does anyone on EB prep? As in Doomsday Preppers or similar, without the crazy lol.

DH and I have started, and I’m on the process of putting BOB’s (bug out bags) together for us and the kids. With the current climate of the world right now, everything feels very unstable and I believe we are at huge risk of natural disaster and worse. I don’t think it would take a great deal for war that impacts Australia or economic collapse to take place and I guess I’d feel more comfortable with the ability to bug in or out, depending on circumstances.

Maybe we’ll never need it, but we are teaching our kids survival skills such as finding food, making a fire etc.

What are everyone’s thoughts? Do you prep? And what are you prepping for?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

Not really but we don't own a car so I always ensure we have plenty of toiletries/household stuff (ie non food basically) as I hate running out and having to go to the shops, the fact I live around the corner from a shopping does nothing for my incredible laziness.

I am sure there always food to eat in the place for a few days if we thought about it and more importantly there is emergency wine, tea bags and coffee and chocolate.

I refuse to have has bottles etc, in as knowing us we may explode them accidentally.

We live in unit so don't think the neigbours would appreciate us making a fire, they may prefer that to me flashing my backside running for knickers on the line though

#3 Pearson

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yes, we do, to an extent. We used to have a stash of shelf stable food like tins and water etc. Unfortunately due to ongoing healthissue, we had an interior financial crisis, and used it. We are yet to restock. We are in the process of increasing self  sufficiency/natural options as well, gardens, chickens, trees, home made beauty and cleaners.
Financial crisis will be first, but I don't think we are far off another war, one I think we may be smack bam in the middle of. The current political climates around us are very volatile.

#4 can'tstayaway

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

Where would you bug out to?  

Genuine question.  When we lived rurally, in my daydreams spurned on by previous EB zombie apocalypse threads, I assumed friends and family would come to us. We had a decent veg garden and fruit orchard as well as some poultry so could survive for a little while.

But we would have to turn away people and then an EBer pointed out she would happily use a gun to take my stuff and I don’t intend on getting a gun so we would be screwed anyway.

To answer the original question, no we don’t prep. I have basics for mild natural disasters and hope it’s a quick painless death of it was a nuclear attack or similar.

#5 71Cath

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

In all honesty there doesn't seem to be much point.  I have several medical conditions that if unmedicated I would be incapacitated within a month.  It doesn't seen to be a good use of space and resources to stockpile things when without my tablets, I'll be dead/dying anyway.

#6 SummerStar

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

No we don't.

#7 Pearson

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

View Postcan, on 13 November 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Genuine question.  When we lived rurally, in my daydreams spurned on by previous EB zombie apocalypse threads, I assumed friends and family would come to us. We had a decent veg garden and fruit orchard as well as some poultry so could survive for a little while.

But we would have to turn away people and then an EBer pointed out she would happily use a gun to take my stuff and I don’t intend on getting a gun so we would be screwed anyway.

To answer the original question, no we don’t prep. I have basics for mild natural disasters and hope it’s a quick painless death of it was a nuclear attack or similar.

You never tell people your bug out area. For security  reasons.

#8 Grinchette

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

I have 72 rolls of toilet paper in the linen closet.  That's about it.

Oh and and baked beans.  Lots of tins.

Both were on sale last week.

Edited by Gumbette, 13 November 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#9 Let-it-go

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

No.  We seem to get a few blackouts over summer in our suburb so I just have some torches and candles.  But I just don’t live in an area/suburb where natural disasters are an issue.

#10 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

no....if we lived in an area where there were natural disasters we would, but we don’t. we have a stock of basics but we’d be pretty screwed after about three weeks. outside of being prepped in the case of bush fire, flood, cyclone etc - is it a thing? i don’t know of any friends/colleagues who do, but maybe you don’t talk about it....IRL.

#11 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

View Postcan, on 13 November 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

We have a couple of areas we can go to - depending on the crisis and the affected area. We are prepared to go bush, however in all likelihood we would aim to bug in.

I do plan to keep my BOB in the car with me at all times, if something were to happen at least I know I have the supplies to get to my kids/home if it was unexpected (earthquake etc).

We don’t have a gun, but joining a shooting club isn’t off the cards. I would be prepared to protect what we have.

Edited by twinklestars, 13 November 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#12 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 13 November 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

no....if we lived in an area where there were natural disasters we would, but we don’t. we have a stock of basics but we’d be pretty screwed after about three weeks. outside of being prepped in the case of bush fire, flood, cyclone etc - is it a thing? i don’t know of any friends/colleagues who do, but maybe you don’t talk about it....IRL.

I think it’s becoming more of a thing now, I think you’d be surprised at who does prep! I don’t talk about it IRL with friends/acquaintances, just with DH. The kids are used to it. We wouldn’t want to be swamped with people should SHTF.

#13 wallofdodo

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

What is in your bag?

#14 can'tstayaway

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

View Posttwinklestars, on 13 November 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

We have a couple of areas we can go to - depending on the crisis and the affected area. We are prepared to go bush, however in all likelihood we would aim to bug in.

I do plan to keep my BOB in the car with me at all times, if something were to happen at least I know I have the supplies to get to my kids/home if it was unexpected (earthquake etc)
Bug In?  As in, stay at home?  So, similar to being prepared for bushfires, floods, cyclones in the other thread?  Or more intense prepping for surviving a longer period?  Does that include a reinforced shelter in your home?

When I lived rurally, I did have a well stocked kit in the car for all sorts of scenarios. A 3hour round trip was pretty routine for us so the most important thing was having water in case of breakdowns. Fire extinguisher in different parts of the car too. Wool blanket. Spare clothes. Basic food. Nappies for the baby. Shovel. Can of tyre sealant stuff. First aid kit. This was all basics for when driving on remote roads. I don’t bother with most of that anymore because the roads we travel on now are pretty busy. I still have a blanket, fire extinguishers and first aid kit though.

#15 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

View Postwallofdodo, on 13 November 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

What is in your bag?

Tarp (for shelter), first aid kit, water kit (bottles water, purifying tablets, Lifestraw), hygiene kit (toothpaste, toothbrush, hand sanitiser, antibacterial wipes, toilet paper, tissues, pads, tampons), small amount of emergency food (protein bars, dehydrated food, soup sachets), fire kit (matches, dry tinder, fire starter), torch, batteries, knife, multi tool, spare clothing.

I need to add some things, as ideally I’d like the bag to last me for approx 3 days if necessary.

#16 just roses

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

No bugging in or out here.

But DH and I were just discussing yesterday, a list that we will put together of things (that we will make readily accessible) in the event of fire. This bushfire season will be long and intense and it's a wake-up call to be prepared.

We already have things like a first aid kit, fire extinguisher and fire blankets.

#17 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

living rurally it makes sense.

in the city there can of course be natural disasters...but help is generally not far off, of some sorts - enough to survive until everything is restored. if it’s true zombie apocalypse territory i’m not sure i want to survive! i’d rather we all get taken out in the initial strike. already here there’s talk of guns...not being holier than thou...maybe i would use a gun if i had one (i don’t) - maybe i would do whatever was needed to survive...but i’m not sure i would want to know that about myself, or live in that type of society.

#18 twinklestars

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

View Postcan, on 13 November 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

Bug In?  As in, stay at home?  So, similar to being prepared for bushfires, floods, cyclones in the other thread?  Or more intense prepping for surviving a longer period?  Does that include a reinforced shelter in your home?

When I lived rurally, I did have a well stocked kit in the car for all sorts of scenarios. A 3hour round trip was pretty routine for us so the most important thing was having water in case of breakdowns. Fire extinguisher in different parts of the car too. Wool blanket. Spare clothes. Basic food. Nappies for the baby. Shovel. Can of tyre sealant stuff. First aid kit. This was all basics for when driving on remote roads. I don’t bother with most of that anymore because the roads we travel on now are pretty busy. I still have a blanket, fire extinguishers and first aid kit though.

Yep, as in stay home. Currently we’re prepared for short term emergencies (like a cyclone) however over time we plan to expand this to allow for longer term survival. We rent, so no reinforced shelter. You can’t prep for everything, but you can increase your chances of survival by being as ready as you can. DH and I enjoy it, so we often discuss ‘what would we do’ when things come up in the news.

A kit like the one you described is great to have in the car!

#19 red_squirrel

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

I have sensible supplies and equipment for such things as strikes, supply chain problems and minor weather events.

in this category are things such as tarps, torches, powdered milk, water storage containers, non electrical means of charging devices, a car full of petrol, a months worth of medication and sanitation items. All these things can be purchased at a hardware store or camping store.

I don’t see the point of prepping for an event that results in a societal breakdown. Because unless you own, know how to use and are prepared to use something like a gun or other lethal weapon someone else will just take all your stuff and leave you for dead. So I just hope for the best and remind myself it is very unlikely to happen as the world is far more stable than it was 50 years ago.

#20 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

We have a fully decked out 4wd - fridge, oven and so on and everything we need to survive for a decent amount off grid.

But no we don’t prep, that’s just for bush camping.

If I was prepping it would be for zombies. I am going to be sad if get to my deathbed and no zombies!!

#21 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

it’s an interesting thing to contemplate though...on how delicate a thread it all hangs. wonder if anyone will come in here to defend humanity - to argue we’re not that bad. that people would pool resources, help out. of course hunter gatherer societies existed in the past....but from what we know they probably were quite war like. but some of humanity’s best achievements occurred when we worked together, for a collective purpose...

#22 littlepickle

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

I do (my family laugh...). We do have an emergency ‘go to’ location if there is a massive event that occurs when we are not together.
We have 2 evac packs in the house..

#23 BadCat

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:45 AM

Nope. We'd be dead in a day.

#24 Thylacine

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:54 AM

No. But every time I read a thread like this I think that maybe I should start - nothing too full on, just some extra batteries and long life foods. It's easy to get complacent living in the city

Actually, I was reading the other day that Vic is at risk of blackouts this summer due to our growing population and aging power stations which can't cope on hot days, so maybe I should buy some glow sticks and a solar powered charger or something to see us through

#25 kimasa

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Vic people, remember in the 90s when the gas explosion happened?

My Nannu was not going without his ross il forn, and I will never forget the image of him cooking rice and sauce in pots on the barbecue, then baking the rice in there and proudly proclaiming "See SEE! I MAKE!"

I might look into a solar power bank following the rolling outages last year, we were down for about 8 hours last year which wasn't too bad, but it would be good to be able to keep the phones charged if it's out for longer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.