teen ideas for school holidays

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 teaspoon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

Six long weeks starting next month. I'm a sole parent and only have a week's leave owing.

My 14 yo DS (only child) is saying he doesn't want to attend previously-loved organised camps, he has pulled out of his rep sports team and is becoming more solitary, which is troubling.

Maybe he needs to start thinking of getting a job...

What do you organise for your teen boys over Summer hols?

#2 liveworkplay

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I don't have boys but my girls, 15 and 13, stay at home in the holidays. They will go out for lunch together or meet friends and hang out, potter around home, do chores when they are really, really  bored lol

#3 doubledelight

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

My kids will spend the summer holidays swimming, hanging with their friends, movies, sleepovers and we're having some time between Christmas and New Years.

I am thinking of booking a resin workshop for the girls but my son won't be interested.

Bowling an be fun.  Also check out your local library for free events and workshops that might be of interest.

#4 Beancat

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

is 14 too young to get a job?

Its a tricky age - too old for organised kids stuff and too young to work.

Could he come to work with you and help out?  Probably too many issues these days with workers comp insurance coverage as he is not employed or on official work experience.

What about sitting down together and developing a list of projects you'd like to get done around the house and you could pay him a nominal amount?  Then he would have some extra spending money to go and hang out with friends. it might be a good way to train him for work?

What about a 3 month youth gym membership? or pool membership?

Volunteering?  

Friends coming over and just hanging out?

#5 Beancat

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

what about a youth type of camp that he might be able to go on with a friend?

My friends used to go on these in year 9 and 10.  I was so jealous - they would spend the next 6 months talking about what went on and I'd feel so left out.

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Stay home. I have a boy and girl teen. They hang out at home, play online games with friends, swim, read, do chores, they amuse themselves fairly well. We do an outing once or twice week. They might head out with friends but mostly they just amuse themselves at home!

I don’t think becoming solitary is a problem by itself really, some people just like to be alone more than with others.

#7 teaspoon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

I remember spending the holidays doing stuff (and quarreling) with my siblings... it's different as an only child.

Thanks for the suggestions. A pool /fitness membership might be of interest, but coming to work with me is out of the question.

Up til now he's always been happy to go with the flow and attend holiday camps / activities. I'm trying to listen to him when he says he doesn't want to go any more, but he hasn't come up with any alternatives.

I understand being solitary isn't a problem per se, it's just that he hasn't been this way for the first 14 years and I don't want him to become withdrawn.

#8 barrington

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

These holidays, my 15yr old DS will start each day with a big sleep in.  Then he'll either:
-hang at home by himself
-go to a friends house
-have a friend at our house
-volunteer
-movies
-shopping etc

#9 teaspoon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

barrington, on 12 November 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

These holidays, my 15yr old DS will start each day with a big sleep in.  Then he'll either:
-hang at home by himself
-go to a friends house
-have a friend at our house
-volunteer
-movies
-shopping etc

what sort of volunteering does he do?

#10 annodam

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

Is there any particular reason as to why he’s quit rep sports?
Rep sports at around this age gets very competitive, this is why a lot of teens drop out of sports altogether as the gap widens so much re skill level.
With my kids (well my eldest really, youngest is turning 11 soon) but she was heavily involved with rep sport trials around this time & then training for Nationals at Easter time (if you were successful).  She often was so that took the Holiday boredom out of the picture.  
We often go away for a month from Boxing Day until AU Day, so that too keeps the kids entertained.

#11 barrington

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

View Postteaspoon, on 12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

what sort of volunteering does he do?
He will probably do one day a week at a local Kids Op Shop with a mate, which he does most holidays.  They clean and test all the toys that have been donated and make sure puzzles and games have all the correct pieces before they are sold.  He'll also play his musical instrument at the child care centre he went to, and also run a couple of lego workshops at the same childcare centre.

#12 teaspoon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Postannodam, on 12 November 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

Is there any particular reason as to why he’s quit rep sports?

Once he got into a rep team he lost his passion. TBH I wish he stayed in the local comp because now he's stopped his sport altogether.

View Postbarrington, on 12 November 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

He will probably do one day a week at a local Kids Op Shop with a mate, which he does most holidays.  

That's great!

#13 ExpatInAsia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

Can your son spend some of the holidays with his Dad, grandparents, cousins or friends? I think 6 weeks is too long for a 14yo to be on their own. They will likely spend most of it sleeping, watching tv or online and that is not healthy.

I would have him doing a mix of volunteering, gym/pool - something active every day and having a day or two each week with a friend (at your house or at the friends house.

#14 JBH

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

I was speaking to some teens the other day who go to teen gym sessions at the local fitness centre, and then a bunch of people who have been to the classes hang around, buy milkshakes and chat. Seems to fill a couple of hours each day.

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

This Jan, my teen niece & nephew are coming to stay with us for a week. I used to do that that in high school as well - visit aunt/uncle/cousins in different location for a week. Would catch the bus there - that would use up a day each way, LOL! My aunts and uncles would have a list of places I could visit while I was them and they were at work - museum, gallerys, etc.

I think a few days at home doing nothing is fine, but agree that it wouldn't be desirable every day of the holiday.

I also had a part-time/casual job when I was 14.5, so that helped a lot in school holidays. I tried to get as many hours as possible in the school holidays.

#16 teaspoon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 12 November 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

Can your son spend some of the holidays with his Dad, grandparents, cousins or friends?

Yes, I've organised for him to stay with 2 of my sisters in regional areas for a couple of days each. Plus a 3 day master class he wanted to enrol in January.

I've suggested he visit his father who lives overseas and has done for over a decade. I'm happy to pay for flights etc and know he'd enjoy himself when he got there but he says he's not keen. They chat online but the communication is superficial and I know DS isn't engaged. I'm not sure whether it's out of misplaced loyalty to me that he says he doesn't want to go. I'll bring it up again.

I guess I don't want to stifle his autonomy to decide what he likes / doesn't like but he's got to work with me around alternatives. Like you say, you can't watch Netflex for 6 weeks!

Edited by teaspoon, 12 November 2019 - 08:07 PM.

#17 JRA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

I think it easier when there are a couple of siblings home together at that age. One of the challenges of an only child.

DS  does have one of us home, but doesnt do that much with us now.  Ds is a couple of years older (16) but what he does hasn't change that much.

He will spend time gaming with friends, writing music, catching up with friends, at the beach and patrolling at the beach.

The girl friend is no more so that takes that away from the things he can do.

ETA: Giving up sport  I agree is a bigger concern. DS is now 16 and really is just doing it for fun and rep stuff is not on his radar any more. Thankfully he hasn't given it up. I would work on that as well

Edited by JRA, 12 November 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#18 ~Kay~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

A part time job would be win-win.

Do you have a Fitness First near you? Teens can use the gym during the day in the school holidays, it's free.

https://www.fitnessf...irst-for-teens/

#19 Prancer is coming

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Our council runs a holiday program for a few days over the holidays.  They tend to be things that really appeal to teens such as surfing lessons, absailing, cooking.  If I don’t have holidays I try to get my teen there every few weeks.

If your child seems more solitary lately and has lost interest in his usual activities, is there anything else going on for him?

#20 teaspoon

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

Prancer is coming, on 12 November 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

Our council runs a holiday program for a few days over the holidays.  They tend to be things that really appeal to teens such as surfing lessons, absailing, cooking.  If I don’t have holidays I try to get my teen there every few weeks.

If your child seems more solitary lately and has lost interest in his usual activities, is there anything else going on for him?

Thanks, I'll look at our council website.

Doesn't seem to have any issues; I think he's leaving some interests behind. I'm hoping to help him find some new ones!

#21 Babetty

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Have you asked him what his friends are doing? That might give a few leads

#22 iwanttosleepin

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm sending my 14 year old to NZ on a 3-week scout camp.

Not helpful to you but there might be other camps they can go on in your area.  I know that in our little town there is a 5 night camp for teens - not scout related.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.