NSW schools closed due to fire risk - Tues 12th Nov

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

The following schools will temporarily cease operations on Tuesday 12 November due to increased fire risk in the area:

https://education.ns...s/school-safety

ETA - note that this is a changing list so please check the link!

Also, don't forget to keep an eye on any school apps your school may use in case their situation changes tomorrow.

Edited by purpleduck, Yesterday, 03:17 PM.

#2 dadwasathome

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Also note the list is still being updated from what I can see eg. Caves Beach Public was on there at one stage but not Swansea High although they are next door. Edit: Just to clarify that Swansea was eventually added to the list.

20 TAFE NSW campuses will also be closed.
  • North region: Coffs Harbour, Great Lakes (Tuncurry), Taree, Port Macquarie, Wauchope, Kempsey, Macksville, Kurri Kurri, Ourimbah, Wyong, Tomaree and Wollongbar
  • Sydney region: Hornsby and Loftus
  • West region: Lithgow
  • Western Sydney region: Richmond, Katoomba and Wentworth Falls
  • South region: Ulladulla and Yallah.

Edited by dadwasathome, Yesterday, 03:13 PM.

#3 purpleduck

Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Does anyone have the link for QLD? Do they have similar closures?

#4 mayahlb

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Purple duck I haven’t heard of any (I’ve got family that live in the border). I think this one is in relation to the delicate state of emergency called by the premier with tomorrow’s conditions.

#5 MarciaB

Posted Yesterday, 03:22 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 11 November 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Does anyone have the link for QLD? Do they have similar closures?

I think QLD's predicted "worst" fire day is Wednesday so perhaps they haven't released anything as yet.

#6 Weavile

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Also check with your school. I am aware of at least one that is open with minimum supervision (no classes) and asking students not to attend.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Schools are literally making up their minds as the day progresses too. I’ve had emails from a couple saying we are planning to open then further emails saying no we are closing.

So definitely worth checking again later tonight or tomorrow morning.

#8 ~J_F~

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Queensland list - only 2 at the moment.

https://closures.det.qld.gov.au/

#9 purpleduck

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Bump as it will be updated

Edited by purpleduck, Yesterday, 09:04 PM.

#10 purpleduck

Posted Today, 06:03 AM

Bump.

Stay safe peoples!!

#11 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted Today, 06:04 AM

DS is staying home today. Our school was very clear with the fire plan and send it out via enews yesterday morning when our area was only at extreme. It was very clear that catastrophic would mean a school closure. When it changed during the day we were notified via enews, social media a text message and of course DS running through the door when he got home yelling “schools closed!!”

#12 SummerStar

Posted Today, 06:21 AM

Our schools are open. Our house is listed in a fire risk zone. We have never had a fire anywhere close and I've woken to still no fires between us and the central coast or blue mountains.

So my kids will be going, both have activities that were already planned before this.

I am just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing myself. Everyone in the fb pages is saying if you're not already packed up to leave you're too late. I'm finding it hard to get hysterical as some of them are when we have no fire threats anywhere near.

Edited by SummerStar, Today, 06:21 AM.

#13 QuirkyMum

Posted Today, 06:21 AM

(I'm in Sydney North) there's no wind whatsoever! Weather forecast yesterday showed really strong winds starting early in the morning. Fingers crossed it is going to stay like this which should improve conditions...

#14 PhillipaCrawford

Posted Today, 06:30 AM

Summerstar as a victorian who lives though this each summer you need a box with all your documents and photos packed in your car. Anything precious.

Then you look at your options for roads. If it one road in and out go now.

Many here evacuate to the city everyday there is a fireban.

Our mantra is If you can see smoke it is too late.

Sure we all hope it will be a wasted day. But if fire comes in Catastrophic conditions it is too late.
We lost 179 people on Black Saturday and our warnings were just like yours - it has been chilling watching actually.

#15 QuirkyMum

Posted Today, 06:40 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 12 November 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

Our schools are open. Our house is listed in a fire risk zone. We have never had a fire anywhere close and I've woken to still no fires between us and the central coast or blue mountains.

So my kids will be going, both have activities that were already planned before this.

I am just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing myself. Everyone in the fb pages is saying if you're not already packed up to leave you're too late. I'm finding it hard to get hysterical as some of them are when we have no fire threats anywhere near.
We are not in a bush fire prone zone but we are in one of the "leafy north suburbs"(Sydney North shore). Some schools are closed in 5 km radius from us ( and that's built up area).
But along our street there's a row of 100+ year old gumtrees. In theory on a hot day under right conditions one small branch touching wires can create a spark and in hot temperature with  an occasional gush of strong wind fire will spread over this row of gumtrees in minutes. These trees overhang houses on both sides of the road, practically blocking the  way out.
That's how fire started in Springbrook a few years ago next to a friends house. It didn't start in the bush ( even though it is blue mountains), it started with a spark ( gumtree branch touching wires) on a residential street, spread into surrounding streets and into the bush. Scary staff.
Again if you have an elderly lady living next to you who doesn't do gardening anymore, so trees and bushes aren't trimmed, gutters are full of dry leaves and eucalyptus leaves cover the backyard/perimeter of the house - that's scary to be neighbours with on a hot and windy day ( even if you are in suburbs and not rural).
So I can totally understand the hysteria ( but again I watched a documentary and it showed how fire spreads).
p s I'm not hysterical and continue with my day as I normally would:)

Edited by QuirkyMum, Today, 06:43 AM.

#16 Kreme

Posted Today, 06:43 AM

DS’s school was one of the first that announced it would close. 900 kids in a school that backs onto bushland in a suburb surrounded by bush and only one real way out. In fact DH’s class did a project that was presented to the RFS on the evacuation issues for the suburb.

He is an out of area student so we don’t live nearby. Our suburb has bush but we don’t live close to it. I just really hope we can get through today with no new fires.

#17 ~J_F~

Posted Today, 06:50 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 12 November 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

You don’t have to hysterical, as that helps no one  but you should be preparing for the worst, it may not come but it’s better to be ready the not. How many times do people say oh we were in an a risk area but thought it would be ok and have lost everything.

You should be prepping your house and making sure anything important is in your car, should you need to leave.

You need to make sure you have a couple of options so you can get to your kids and get out of you area if needed.

We go with possessions can be replaced, people cannot!!

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by ~J_F~, Today, 06:51 AM.

#18 Riotproof

Posted Today, 06:54 AM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 11 November 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Schools are literally making up their minds as the day progresses too. I’ve had emails from a couple saying we are planning to open then further emails saying no we are closing.

So definitely worth checking again later tonight or tomorrow morning.

It is a big call for them to make.

I feel quite anxious about it all and our suburb isn’t in the firing line.

Edited by Riotproof, Today, 06:56 AM.

#19 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted Today, 06:56 AM

Phillipa Crawford I think the problem is that it is such a blanket rating which includes the Sydney CBD. There are parts of Sydney that are definitely at risk and people should be prepared and ready to leave if needed and those where this doesn’t really affect at all. There’s s whole heap of people who really don’t know if this applies to them or not. I’m not in Sydney but live in as area close to bush area but my house not so much.

Any mass evacuation from where I live would be disastrous due to traffic situation and where would we all go anyway. We aren’t talking about a small country town.

In saying all of this I still remember the 1994 fires in Sydney where Jannali was smashed and that was not a suburb right next to the bush. We lived in the suburb next to it and there’s no way we would ever have expected a bush fire to come near us. After the fact we heard the firies were seriously worried it was going to go heaps further into suburbia. I guess this is the big unknown.

They don’t know what’s going to happen. There are no fires anywhere near us but the reality is one could start at any time and once the wind picks up who knows but it could be disastrous.

#20 SummerStar

Posted Today, 06:57 AM

Pretty much all documents we have are able to be retrieved digitally or another copy sought. So I'm not too worried about that. But I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting all my animals out. There's no way. They would be my main concern at this point. But we aren't far from chatswood. Plenty of ways out if needed.
I'm sure they won't be needed though, I'm not actually sure why our house is deemed in a high risk zone when we aren't very close to bushland.

My parents live closer to bushland (one street away) than we do but their house according to the website says they're in a safe zone. I lived there as a kid. The fires of 94 that took out alot of Lane Cove national Park were visable across the road from out house. We were prepared to leave then, there were fires around and they were close enough to see. In the end we never had to go.

Edited by SummerStar, Today, 07:02 AM.

#21 lozoodle

Posted Today, 06:57 AM

Ours is closed but its always been part of the school policy due to where we are located.

Still, I think some people in my suburb are being completely hysterical in that they've packed up and left already. I mean really, I get the need to be vigilant and have a plan, but come on... its going to be a long paranoid summer if you pack up your bags and leave all the time.

And before anyone says "but things can turn bad so quick". Yes, I know, I lived through the 94 fires in the thick of it all, I know how bad it can get and yes you would leave well before that. But before a fire even starts? mmm. overkill.

#22 SummerStar

Posted Today, 06:59 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 12 November 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

But before a fire even starts? mmm. overkill.

This is kind of what I'm referring to. People have stated they've moved to safe zones etc in the area yet we haven't had a fire here in years so it's not like we are sure there would be some form of issue because it happens regularly.

I'm not saying it definitely wouldn't, I just think some of the posts I'm seeing from the community are a bit prematurely hysterical.

#23 ~J_F~

Posted Today, 07:01 AM

Might be overkill to you but one would assume they have done the risk assessment too and feel this is the best option for them.

Should we really be judging people who are making decisions for the safety of themselves and their families?

#24 lozoodle

Posted Today, 07:04 AM

Oh look, each to their own. I just think we can't live our lives in total fear. By all means be prepared to go if a fire happened to start, and keep an eye on fires near me and all that, but yeah.

Schools closing that are bushfire zoned, I totally understand as that becomes a safety and public liability issue.  No one wants to wrangle hundreds of kids in those scenarios.  I'm on board with that.

#25 SummerStar

Posted Today, 07:11 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 12 November 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

Might be overkill to you but one would assume they have done the risk assessment too and feel this is the best option for them.

Should we really be judging people who are making decisions for the safety of themselves and their families?
I'm not judging, just stating that it's got a bit prematurely hysterical. I really, at the end of the day, don't care what others do. I'm trying to assess the realistic risk for me.

Right now I think I'd just go lay down in bed and let them come. But that's me. I am just trying to work it out. No doubt I'll offend a dozen in the mean time, it's the EB way.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

7 members, 7 guests, 7 anonymous users

QuirkyMum, Toby123, Obvs, ~elle~, Nickers numbat, kirstenfleur, IamzFeralz

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.