He did it!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 SelceLisbeth

Posted Yesterday, 12:29 PM

POPULAR

DS18 has graduated yr 12!

He was only able to attend three weeks of school in yr 11 due to severe mental illness.

This year was sooooo difficult for us both. Having to get him up at 5:45am most mornings for between 4 and 6 hours commuting for the day. Work placement and social issues causing severe anxiety, but he did it!

He is the first person in my family to complete yr 12 (I know, bunch of winners here). He may even beat me out to be the first one to earn a degree!

Most importantly he has been able to enjoy learning again and has plans for his future, which was unthinkable 18 months ago.

I am beyond proud. What an amazingly resilient young man.

*would now like to go to sleep for a month to catch up on a lot of lost hours and in anticipation of his brother starting VCE next year.

#2 rowd

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Wow, huge congrats to your son (and you)! Sounds like an incredible effort from you both. You have every right to be proud.

#3 rainycat

Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM

What a fantastic effort, good on him and you too! So well done!

#4 IamOzgirl

That is awesome!!

#5 BadCat

That's awesome.  Congrats to him, and to you!

I wish I'd been able to get a similar result for my son.

#6 SelceLisbeth

Posted Yesterday, 12:40 PM

View PostBadCat, on 11 November 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

That's awesome.  Congrats to him, and to you!

I wish I'd been able to get a similar result for my son.

There was every chance we werent going to make it BC. He had a cut off of midday today and submitted his last task at 12:10pm, but they accepted it - we were very lucky.

Your DC's time will come. I know that because of how you talk about your kids and how you have made such an open and enlightened family environment. Things could have easily gone the other way and while my son is very resilient, it wasnt his resilience or my efforts that got him, it was the place he was going to and the subject matter and a healthy serving of medication!

#7 Elfie34

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 PM

How awesome for you and your son. I have been following your journey for a while, and my son is only 8 but i have drawn inspiration by how you have both kept going despite the challenges that disabilities and mental illness bring.

Congratulations!!

#8 ~elle~

Posted Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Congratulations to your son - great job!!

#9 Romeo Void

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

I've got literal gooebumps SL.  That he managed this while battling mental health issues is so impressive...that boy of yours is a Superhero!

#10 Clementinerose

Posted Yesterday, 12:49 PM

You must be so proud, well done to your son

#11 lizzybirdsworth

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Awesome! Congratulations to your ds for all his hard work and dedication.
And a huge congratulations to you for getting your ds through such a hard time. Yr 12 is not easy and there needs to be better mental health support at schools to help students get through it.
Time to celebrate 🎉

#12 hills mum bec

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Congratulations to your DS, OP!  I know that mixed feeling of relief and pride, My DS has also finished year 12 this year and I never imagined that being an option for him.  He was ready to give it all up at the end of last term but I am so grateful to his teachers who went above and beyond to help him finish throughout the school holidays.

#13 can'tstayaway

Posted Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Congratulations to you both!

#14 wallofdodo

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Well done! Both you and your son!

#15 cstar

Posted Yesterday, 01:02 PM

That's fantastic news, well done to both of you!

#16 wilding

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

That's wonderful news!
I read the title and had a feeling it was you.
After everything you have all been through.

#17 SelceLisbeth

Posted Yesterday, 01:07 PM

In other good news, I also managed to pay off the loan for the school before he graduated, so he is able to graduate without that hanging over our heads (he paid off a third of the loan himself).

#18 SM3s Fight Song

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

That's fantastic SL.  Congratulations to both of you. I'm so glad for both of you that he made it.

#19 Greatmum

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 PM

That’s amazing!!!! Great work guys.

#20 chicken_bits

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Best post! Congrats to you and your son SL. You're an amazing mum!

#21 RichardParker

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Yay!  Education transforms lives.  huge congrats.

#22 Mmmcheese

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Woo Hoo! Congrats to you all xx

#23 limakilo

Posted Yesterday, 02:47 PM

That is the best news!!!!
I can only imagine how you are all feeling, and what a boost that will be for him.

#24 mayahlb

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Wonderful brilliant news! Congratulations to your DS and well done for helping him through it all.

#25 IamtheMumma

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

:clap: :thumbs: :dance: Way to go DS1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.