Navigating Child Care Subsidy

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 CoffeeGuy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

The mother wants me to have son so I am organizing childcare, some local centers have a vacancy so now I am navigating child care subsidy.

With activity hours of 45 hours a fortnight (work edit: 4.5 hour per day five days a week), child care of 11 hour x 5 days a week at $100 a day ($9.09 per hour) I get a child care cost of:
  • $235.58500 p/w "You're dream'n!" :no2:
Increase my activity hours to minimum 49 hours per fortnight (get paid $51.405 an hour to volunteer or look for work) to boost subsidized hours from 72 to 100 per fortnight I get a child care cost of:
  • $132.775 p/w "Getting better"
Negotiate to pay $10 an hour for 10 hours per day instead of 11 hours per day I reduce fortnightly hours to within the 100 maximum from 110 which gets me a child care cost of:
  • $96.25 p/w "Manageable" :yes:
If I only had to pay for 10 hours per day at $9.09 per hour I would have to pay:
  • $87.325 p/w "unrealistic as childcare loses money"
That's what I have so far.

Thoughts?

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 10 November 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#2 Kallie88

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

45 hours a fortnight isn't 5 days a week, is your work casual or part-time? If it's part time you don't need your child to be in the day's you're not working which will obviously save you money. Daycares generally don't negotiate their fees and their hours are usually set at 12 hours for the day regardless of how long the child is there. Also, you need to prove you are volunteering if you intend to tell centrelink that you are.

#3 lizzzard

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

You're really a sucker for punishment aren't you OP? :xmas_tongue:

There are some whizzes on the forum when it comes to this topic so hopefully someone will come in and offer their practical tips :)

#4 PatG

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

You can also include travel time in your hours.

Can you outline here (if you are comfortable to) what a typical work fortnight looks like? As in which days you work and which hours?

Some childcare centres do have a special rate for 10 hour days (mostly brought in so people could have all hours subsidised if child needing to attend 10 days per week).

#5 CoffeeGuy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostKallie88, on 10 November 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

45 hours a fortnight isn't 5 days a week, is your work casual or part-time? If it's part time you don't need your child to be in the day's you're not working which will obviously save you money. Daycares generally don't negotiate their fees and their hours are usually set at 12 hours for the day regardless of how long the child is there.

I'm only given 4.5 hours work per day five days a week.  I have updated original post to clarify.  Casual.

#6 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

View PostKallie88, on 10 November 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

Daycares generally don't negotiate their fees and their hours are usually set at 12 hours for the day regardless of how long the child is there.
I agree with your first point but not the second. I know some centres responded to the CCS by offering 8 and 10 hour days. I think Goodstart centres were one? Seemed like a lot of hassle to me! Our centre kept it simple with a daily rate for 12 hours (thankfully).

OP you need to use a CCS Calculator and do the sums yourself.

#7 bikingbubs

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

My thoughts? Yes, childcare is expensive (as are children in general!!)

#8 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

Could you ask work for different hours, like 2 full days and 1 half day a week? Childcare isn't very workable cost wise if you're only working 4.5 hours a day.  I think from memory you're in retail? So don't know if that's something your work would consider but it might be worth asking.

#9 Kallie88

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 10 November 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

I agree with your first point but not the second. I know some centres responded to the CCS by offering 8 and 10 hour days. I think Goodstart centres were one? Seemed like a lot of hassle to me! Our centre kept it simple with a daily rate for 12 hours (thankfully).

OP you need to use a CCS Calculator and do the sums yourself.

Some, but to my knowledge not that many.
Anyway, op you might be better off looking at family daycare for say 6 hours a day. Use the centrelink calculator, it's usually not far off if you've got all the info it needs, get the info for a long day care centre and a family daycare if there's one you can use, try a few scenarios

#10 José

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

IME you can't negotiate child care fees. Some may require payment for 12 hours a day some may allow 10 hours. So check the policy for your preferred centre. Whatever their policy is they are unlikely to vary it cause you find it to be too expensive or don't need care for the full hours etc etc.

#11 Datrys

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:19 PM

For those working hours, would family day care be a better option?  As in, not having to pay for hours of care you don't need?

#12 José

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostSM3s Fight Song, on 10 November 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

Could you ask work for different hours, like 2 full days and 1 half day a week? Childcare isn't very workable cost wise if you're only working 4.5 hours a day.  I think from memory you're in retail? So don't know if that's something your work would consider but it might be worth asking.

Great idea! 4.5 hours each day sounds pretty inconvenient while also being primary caregiver to a young child. Certainly worth chatting to your employer.

View PostDatrys, on 10 November 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

For those working hours, would family day care be a better option?  As in, not having to pay for hours of care you don't need?

The FDCs near me still have minimum hours. Could be less than long day care though.

#13 luke's mummu

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

I would be looking for a job with longer hours do you can earn more $ and utilise full days of childcare. Having children is expensive, and unless you’re on a very good hourly rate 45 hours a fortnight is unlikely to be enough income. Kids get more expensive as they get older. Eg food, shoes, swimming lessons

Edited by luke's mummu, 10 November 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#14 onetrick

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Childcare seems to be set up.for those who work typical 8+ hour days. We are looking into putting DS into 1.5 days a week next year and it isnt really worth it- we are better off working while days and getting whole days care. Oh well, I'm just thankful that childcare centers exist in the prevalence they do.
Could you possibly share care with your DS' mum (or is she moving interstate already?)? If she could have bub during your working hours even a few days of the 5 that would be helpful for you and still give her a break/ time to work for herself?

#15 CoffeeGuy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostDatrys, on 10 November 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

For those working hours, would family day care be a better option?

Great idea I'll contact a few family child care places in my area.

View Postonetrick, on 10 November 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Could you possibly share care with your DS' mum (or is she moving interstate already?)? If she could have bub during your working hours even a few days of the 5 that would be helpful for you and still give her a break/ time to work for herself?

No as soon as I get my child I think she'll pack up her stuff and leave.

My thoughts? Yes, childcare is expensive (as are children in general!!)

I'd get $17k from Centrelink to pay $10k cost including family car running costs and 110 hours child care.  I come out $7k ahead.

If I can reduce this child care cost using family day care I'd be looking at even better number.

#16 onetrick

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, but kids are expensive... and if you are casual you might need to factor in paying for childcare even when DS doesnt go (he gets sick/ public holiday) and you dont work? I am just starting to investigate childcare myself so I could be wrong but I think you generally still pay on those occasions?
Sorry- 7k sounds awesome but it will go so quickly!

#17 bikingbubs

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

Are you trying to figure out how to make a profit from having your son?

#18 luke's mummu

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

View Postonetrick, on 10 November 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Yeah, but kids are expensive... and if you are casual you might need to factor in paying for childcare even when DS doesnt go (he gets sick/ public holiday) and you dont work? I am just starting to investigate childcare myself so I could be wrong but I think you generally still pay on those occasions?
Sorry- 7k sounds awesome but it will go so quickly!

Yes you still pay for childcare for sick days, public holidays and annual leave. Unless the operator closes for annual leave over Christmas, then you might not have to pay

#19 José

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

View Postbikingbubs, on 10 November 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Are you trying to figure out how to make a profit from having your son?

It sounds like that.
But surely not!
The OP is most certainly not going to come out ahead. Food , child friendly cups, clothing, medicine when ill, nappies, toys to entertain and help with brain development, books, activities e.g. swimming lessons, needing a day off work here and there because child is sick ( you can't send a sick child to day care) etc etc.

#20 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure if you've just expressed yourself unfortunately coffeeguy but that last post does give the impression you're trying to make the most money from having your son you can.  Your decisions should be based around his best interests. You'll need to spend a lot on baby over the course of a year, he needs proper nutrition and a safe home and loving care.  I'd be focusing on working out how you can give your son the best start in life.

#21 afterlaughter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Coffee Guy do you have a older friend that could sit down with you to apply for Centrelink FTB and CCS it’s a tricky system to navigate to ensure you don’t end up with a debt. You need to find a better job I would be signing up with a job agency while keeping your current job to help you land a full time higher paying position.

#22 blimkybill

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

If you have read previous threads from the OP, it seems he just needs to process the money side of the changes he is facing. It really does seem he means well for his son.

The OP will be eligible for Parenting Payment (single) as well as Family Tax Benefit once he has full time care of the baby. Parenting payment does allow you to do some part time work without losing all of your payments. Parenting payment plus part time work may realistically be the best way to go while the child is young. It gives options for the OP to respond when things are tough, in times of sickness, and to have enough quality time with his son.

OP, I agree with others than day care at a centre, which will charge you for at least 10 hours a day, will be expensive when you are only working 4.5 hours a day. Even with the subsidy you will receive. Family Day Care may have a minimum charge of less than the  10-12 hours centres charge.

And remember your eligibility for subsidy includes your commuting time as well as your actual work time, and your commuting time includes getting your child to day care. You should easily pas the 49 hours per fortnight on your current work hours.

Anyway, you might be best off either using family day care for shorter days, or seeing if you can work less days per week but longer hours each day.

#23 blimkybill

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

View Postafterlaughter, on 10 November 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Coffee Guy do you have a older friend that could sit down with you to apply for Centrelink FTB and CCS it’s a tricky system to navigate to ensure you don’t end up with a debt. You need to find a better job I would be signing up with a job agency while keeping your current job to help you land a full time higher paying position.
Remember not all single parents of very young children work. Many use parenting payment especially in the early years and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

#24 nellie_

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

If you're just looking for care while you're at work for the 4.5 hours you might consider occasional care?

I'm not sure if this is available where you are located but they often have 5 or 6 hour sessions and most are CCS eligible now which helps. Of course this may not be an option 5 days a week but perhaps worth looking into?

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

View Postnellie_, on 10 November 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

If you're just looking for care while you're at work for the 4.5 hours you might consider occasional care?

I'm not sure if this is available where you are located but they often have 5 or 6 hour sessions and most are CCS eligible now which helps. Of course this may not be an option 5 days a week but perhaps worth looking into?

Yes, I used occasional care 1 - 3 days a week because I was able to pay for just the three hours, she then slept for two and was happy with sidestream attention after that while I worked, so instead of paying for a full day, I got away with 3 x hours and still managed to work full time.

The cost of full time child care at that stage of our lives was unthinkable, if I was to continue to build my business, which did eventually pay off.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

BrainFart, ElysianLyric, Google (2), Bing (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.