Baby sleeps in bouncer?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Sheeva33

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hello ladies , is this ok to put a 6 weeks old to sleep 3-4 hours in a bouncer?

#2 K.heather

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Having had a baby pass away from sids, there is no way TO ME, my opinion mine only that this would not be ok.

#3 StringArt

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

No,  a bouncer is for when baby is awake.  I know it's hard (mine loved to fall asleep there)  but it is not a baby safe sleep environment.

#4 Future-self

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

You are not going to have anyone tell you that it is ok.
It violates every Safe sleep principle listed in SIDS and Kids.
ETA link https://rednose.org....cle/bouncinette

In addition to that, there is no safety standards in Australia for Bouncers. They could all be safety hazard even when baby is awake for all we know. That just adds to why leaving them sleep in one for hours isn't ok.

Edited by Future-self, 09 November 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#5 Mands09

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

One of my kids would have his head turned to the side and basically his face smooshed into the fabric of the bouncer when he did start falling asleep in ours. Maybe it was a bad design as the next bouncer I got this wouldn’t have been possible. So I always made sure I saw exactly what he was up to in the bouncer. I even refused one of those sleep rocker things my MIL bought which have since been subject to recalls in America.

#6 Bugster

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

I admit I let my son sleep in his swing chair during the day when nothing else worked but only when being watched & checked on often.

Never overnight never for 3-4 )”hrs , although he never slept that long till over 1yr

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

Not at 6 weeks old, no.  Far too young.

#8 SummerStar

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. But my youngest would sleep no more than 20 mins at a time during the day from when we brought her home for months. If she fell asleep in the bouncer there was no way I was going to move her. But I did not leave her unattended and watched her constantly. Sometimes nothing else works.

#9 Freddie'sMum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask.  Are you OK OP?

If you need help with baby's sleep - you can ask us here or is there a local health clinic you can go to?  The one I took our DDs to, you could make an appt to go in and talk to someone or they had a drop in time, you just turned up and took a number.

#10 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:15 PM

Im so sorry for your loss K.Heather

Its not recommended to let a baby sleep on an incline because of the angle of the airway.

My DS has reflux however and sometimes it is the only way he will sleep in the day.  I let him sleep on a gentle incline in his pram only next to me while I am awake. I do not leave him unattended in his rocker or pram at any time.

Also its important to make sure the straps fit well. Most of the accidents with bouncers have been strangulation from the straps as the baby slipped down

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 09 November 2019 - 02:22 PM.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

Not safe, not for 3 hours.
Is it your baby? Have you tried a transfer? Let baby fall asleep in the bouncer then gently put baby into their bed?

I found transfers tricky, but it helps when they don’t lose temperature during the transfer. So keep them wrapped tightly, and even pre-warm the mattress, and then slowly move from bouncer to bed.

#12 onetrick

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

I would let DS sleep in the swing when 3 or 4 months old I think it was for 20 mins of sanity saving sleep (or 40 if it was a bad day), but I would be in the room watching and could see if his airways became obstructed. Eventually he became used to the white noise rather than the motion and that could be replicated in a cot.
I also second pp- let us know if you're not ok. I struggled with a newborn and the lack of sleep was horrific :(

#13 JomoMum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

View Postonetrick, on 09 November 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I would let DS sleep in the swing when 3 or 4 months old I think it was for 20 mins of sanity saving sleep (or 40 if it was a bad day), but I would be in the room watching and could see if his airways became obstructed. Eventually he became used to the white noise rather than the motion and that could be replicated in a cot.
I also second pp- let us know if you're not ok. I struggled with a newborn and the lack of sleep was horrific :(

Unfortunately one can’t always see the airway become obstructed. It’s not always as obvious as something covering the mouth/nose. It can be as simple as the slouch of the head and neck causing a blockage internally. Not to suggest you didn’t mean that, I just wanted to expand for anyone else reading.

#14 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I did with my kids and they're still alive. But each to their own and everyone will have different opinions on this.

#15 rosie28

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

Nope, and not in swings or those death trap hammocks either. There are also guidelines for sleep in car seats. You can’t always tell when an airway is being blocked.

#16 onetrick

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

Jomo's mum- that's what I meant (as in slouching head etc= bad), but I'm glad you elaborated :) I am an anxious person so I would never do anything that i thought/ knew was dangerous, and I do need to he more aware of how it comes across on a public forum. So thank you x

#17 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

bouncers, swings, car seats are all no no's

#18 Apageintime

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

No.  

Have you tried a baby carrier?

#19 Ellie bean

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

My daughter did sleep in a bouncer including overnight to about 7 or 8 months but she had severe reflux, would not sleep anywhere else unless held, and her paediatrician gave it the ok because it was that or me ending up falling asleep sitting up holding her, so it was basically the best of a bad set of options. i wouldn’t recommend it if avoidable, I’m very lucky dd was ok. Is your baby not sleeping/ are you struggling, can we help with suggestions?

#20 AsperHacker

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

ImperatorFuriosa, on 09 November 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

I did with my kids and they're still alive. But each to their own and everyone will have different opinions on this.

That is the most painful argument. And there's a pp in this thread who lost a child to SIDS. Insensitive much?!?

Everyone might have different opinion but the guidelines are pretty set on safe sleeping for babies. Bouncers are not a safe sleep safe regardless of how many *alive* kids did it.

#21 Jenflea

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

It's the ones who died you need to think about, not the ones who didn't.

Sure people survived without seatbelts but so many didn't and that's why we use them.

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

There are reasons for the SIDS recommendations which have seen nearly a 75% reduction in the rate of deaths.
Flippant remarks about having babies still alive having used them to sleep in is just a horrible insensitive thing to say in this thread.

My 5 children are still alive after sleeping on the tummies on sheep skins........sadly hundreds are not, we got lucky and I have nightmares about this still.....with babies you do not push your luck.

Condolences to you and yours K.heather.

#23 Chelli

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

I have removed a post that threatened to move this thread off topic.

Admin

#24 newmumandexcited

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 AM

Mine did sleep in a bouncer at times, but not at that age.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Mine did sleep in the rocker/bouncer - during the da while I was supervising and with it tipped flat but not for 3-4 hours generally. I wouldn’t put them to sleep in it as it’s not a safe sleep surface but if they fell asleep there and it had been a trying day I might leave them there for a bit. Definitely not at night.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.