White Christmas USA

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kelsta1978

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

Anyone ever visited the USA and experienced Christmas in the snow? Looking for recommendations on where to go.. 2 families with 4 kids aged between 9 and 13.

#2 eilca

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

I was hoping for snow when we did Christmas in New York, but it did not happen.

I think Canada is more likely to have Christmas snow.

#3 José

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I did a winter around lake Tahoe in California with xmas in a small town called Truckee, near Donner Lake, not too far from Reno. There are plenty of ski resorts around Tahoe so you could expect snow at xmas.

Edited by José, 08 November 2019 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Fennel Salad

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

Denver? There's been a lot of snow in the rockies that ski resorts in the area have opened early.

I'll be there between xmas and ny 👍

Edited by Fennel Salad, 08 November 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#5 Cimbom

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

With the exception of perhaps going to a ski resort, I wouldn’t book a whole overseas holiday hoping for a weather event that may or may not happen. If you’re not fussed about snow specifically there are lots of Christmas related events and activities that make more sense to base your plans on IMO

#6 Lifesgood

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Perhaps aim for a ski resort, with as high altitude as possible. Breckenridge springs to mind - you get there via Denver. Do a bit of research as to which ski resorts have the best chance of snow at Christmas.

#7 Apple14

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

I was in NYC and we didn’t get snow until New Year’s Eve.
I’d also suggest Canada.

#8 SummerStar

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

We are planning a Canadian Christmas in the next few years. That's where I would go to be guaranteed snow rather than the US.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

We've had many Christmases in Toronto Canada.... maybe 30-50% with snow on the 25th. As per PP's comments, even in Canada your best bet would be up in the mountains somewhere.

#10 BeachesBaby

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

As others have said, Canada. Otherwise the Midwest, Chicago, and Boston are likely to have snow over Christmas. As a New Yorker I’d honestly just plan for Canada or somewhere fart north like New Hampshire/Maine to be really sure I’d get some snow.

#11 gemgirl

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostCimbom, on 08 November 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

With the exception of perhaps going to a ski resort, I wouldn’t book a whole overseas holiday hoping for a weather event that may or may not happen. If you’re not fussed about snow specifically there are lots of Christmas related events and activities that make more sense to base your plans on IMO

I remember we wanted a white Christmas when I was a kid, and we went to a place in Europe thinking we'd get one. When we got there and told the locals, they said "it hasn't snowed on Christmas day in years".

Amazingly, though, we woke on Christmas day to tons of snow. It had snowed all Christmas Eve night.

But, definitely agree. If you're going especially for a white Christmas, I'd pick a ski resort/ high altitude.

#12 Lifesgood

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

DH and I had a white Christmas in Courchevel one year long ago. We were literally skiing in winter-wonderland snowflakes on Christmas Day. It was gorgeous.

#13 Sandra

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Breckenridge is definitely snow filled as are the other ski resorts there. They have had some big falls and definitely more to come. Close by is Alma which has USA’s highest altitude bar as far as I know.

#14 dadwasathome

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

The Berkshires have been recommended to me on TripAdvisor MA forums. We were in Boston in 2016 and it was 6-10 degrees, one day even 14. It had snowed a couple of days prior but had mostly gone by Christmas. Back there for this Christmas so maybe white.

We did get snow in NYC before and after Christmas in 2016.

#15 overlytired

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 08 November 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

We've had many Christmases in Toronto Canada.... maybe 30-50% with snow on the 25th. As per PP's comments, even in Canada your best bet would be up in the mountains somewhere.

Toronto doesn't get much snow anymore. If you want a Canadian vacation with guaranteed snow wherever you are, Montreal, Ottawa, and Quebec City are virtually guaranteed (I can only remember two green Christmases in all my years – 40+). All are within driving distance to ski resorts (1-2 hrs); granted they are not Rockies sized but nice places to go. Montreal is about an hour's drive from the Green Mountains in Vermont (USA) which also has nice skiing (Jay Peak, Stowe. Montreal and Quebec City both have nice 17th century historic districts.

If you prefer more westerly locations, Calgary and Edmonton are both within easy driving distance of the Rockies (Banff, Jasper).

#16 Coffeegirl

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:31 AM

Mountains.   If you want to guarantee a “white” Christmas, you will need to head to the mountains.

Dec isn’t usually a snowy time of year for most cities that do big Christmas events.

We’ve done Nyc at Christmas 3 times now and we’re headed there again next month.   Only had snow once and it wasn’t enough to really give you the “white” Christmas experience.

I’ll be honest the lack of snow doesn’t change how I feel about Christmas in NYC.  They still do so many displays and events.  It’s cold enough to skate in Central Park or Rockefeller’s. You get the experience without the slush, dirty puddles of water on the curbs and the bitter cold.  

Don’t forget it has to be a decent way below zero to get that nice white crisp snow you see in the adverts!

#17 LoveMyMuffins

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

Head to the mountains. We were in Boulder, Colorado and decided to go up to Vail one Christmas. Snow all around and snowed on Christmas Day. It was beautiful. It is a ski resort but it was Christmas and we didn’t have family in Boulder so it was perfect for us. Not to mention the drive up and down was gorgeous with all the trees covered in snow!. You can get transport booked if you don’t want to do the driving. Plenty mini buses/vans. Oh we were also lucky enough to get snow in Boulder itself a few days after Christmas 🙂

ETA 2.5 hours road trip to Vail from Boulder

Edited by LoveMyMuffins, 09 November 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#18 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

We had a family White Christmas a couple of years ago. My brother was living in the US in an area that often gets snow but he said not to risk it with by staying at their place if we wanted a guarantee. So we all (including brother and wife) went an stayed in the ski fields in Utah. Hit the jackpot too with a huge dump that came in a few days before we arrived. You couldn’t see out the ground floor windows of the house we were staying in due to the snow.  It was everything you would imagine it would be with a little log cabin, roaring fire and Xmas. Oh yeah and skiing Santa’s everywhere on Xmas eve day.

And yes it did snow at my brothers place but apparently only a light dusting.

Dh and I also had a white Xmas many moons ago in a little town near Toronto. There was heaps of snow on the ground and it snowed overnight on Xmas eve so we woke up to fresh snow.

#19 MsNorbury

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

Definitely Colorado

While you have a reasonable chance in Denver/Boulder head to the mountains and it will be magic. We lived in Boulder and although I think we had no snow on Christmas day we did on boxing day.

You could try staying in a mountain town like Telluride or Crested Butte- a bit more charm than the big ski resorts. However the big ski resorts have so much Christmas stuff and things for kids.

Or if skiing is not your thing you could check out Estes Park

I miss those mountains.

#20 LoveMyMuffins

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:43 PM

This thread is making me really nostalgic for Christmas in America 😐

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

Colorado by far. You need a high resort for snow.

Tahoe is low, and California is in drought.

I lived in two ski resort (Colorado and Tahoe) and didn't get snow on the day, also went on a holiday to Europe, which was a bad season.

But north hemisphere Christmas is just so different to ours it's well worth the trip. Even if you stay in a city.

#22 lizardqueen

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:49 PM

Breckenridge is a sure bet for snow at Christmas. They opened their ski resort this weekend.  Steamboat is really nice too. Silver Star or Big White in Canada are good fun. The only problem with a ski town at Christmas is the exorbitant cost, it's the priciest time to be there and really busy.

If you're not skiers, check out Quebec City.  Very pretty, very snowy.  And cold. But it's lovely, and it's Canada so the exchange rate is more favourable than the US at the moment.

#23 IamOzgirl

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

Good post

OP we really need to know you reason for a white Christmas.

Just snow or skiing.

A cheap skiing holiday (ie if you are beginners and consider it part of the whole white Christmas experience, but also a must) you might want to rent via vrbo (even around since before air bnb) in Frisco, Co.

It's higher than Mt Kozi. But doesn't have the higher price of ski resorts. But probably lacks the ambience too.

#24 2bundles

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

Quebec City is amazing. Google it and look at the photos!

If you want west coast- Whistler

#25 Melly_trish

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

We were lucky to get a white Christmas a few years ago at Durango in Colorado. There is a very inexpensive ski resort called Purgatory. Unfortunately Durango is not too easy to get to, fly into Albuquerque, New Mexico and drive there. The town is very pretty and they do a steam train in the theme of The Polar Express. This was truly magical. We dressed in our pjs, travelled to Santa’s village, drank hot chocolate, and got a little bell to take home from the fat man himself :) We rented a holiday house near Bayfield, over looking a lake - very picturesque.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.