Bicycle trailer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CoffeeGuy

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:14 AM

I searched and the thread on this was 11 year old so thought a new one was fine.

I found one on youtube that seemed like a great idea.
https://www.youtube....h?v=ZCi6bs56Dh8

Found this exact one on ebay $169.
https://www.youtube....h?v=ZCi6bs56Dh8

I have a 4.4km round trip for childcare 44km per week (five days a week).  I have been looking at purchasing a super cheap bomb car for this purpose but an ebike with a trailer would be a lot cheaper and maybe more fun.  I do like riding a bicycle.

Anyway anyone used a bicycle trailer?

#2 Froyo

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

For riding through peak hour traffic with a small baby in the back? It's a no from me. Safety (or lack thereof) shouldn't be about dollars or 'fun'.

#3 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

I have a bike trailer and for the amount of riding you say you are going to do, don't go cheap! The one you link is for very occasional use. It will not be as safe or as durable.
The two brands you need to buy would be Croozer or Thule/Chariot (Thule brought Chariot 5 years ago). You should see if you can pick one up second hand if you cannot afford new.
Now the other thing to consider if that they don't reccomended using it with children under 9 months without special harnesses. It got an additional harness and it basically was a 5 point harness with side protection. The one you linked above will not take it. I contnued to use that harness until my DS was 2 years old and grew out of it.
We only ever rode on bike trails or very very quiet side streets. The trailer does affect handling of the bike and you need to take turns wider than normal.
And although the trailer is shower proof its not pouring with rain proof.
Get a car. In NSW and Victoria the weather can be far too hot or far too wet and cold to cycle every day with a child safely. A car means you can further afield to other places as well.

#4 literally nobody

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

and if it’s raining? won’t be that fun for bubba. and id certainly not ride one in peak hour.

#5 Kavity1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

We have a croozer double trailer, best investment ever, kids have all said its comfy, ours has held up miraculously, bought second hand in great nick and has now been 10 years and 5 kids still going strong, completely water proof and converts to the best double pram to push around with a huge space for storage underneath.

The only downside is, do not underestimate how heavy the things are to tow with 2 kids plus bags, if your area is hilly I hope you are fit lol very heavy to tow.

#6 mm1981

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I've got the Thule Cross trailer which is fantastic. It is 100% waterproof (for the PP that mentioned rain). Kit yourself up in easy remove rain pants (I recommend zips down the sides) and a bike rain jacket. You can find them online.

I used the trailer to take my twins to childcare from around 10 months. It was about a 2km trip. I also regularly took them to playgroup about 6km away and the journey was fine. Quite often they would fall asleep.The Thule Cross also reclines, so quite comfy and also converts into a stroller.

Regarding traffic, I always rode on the footpath (as is legal in NSW if travelling with children). You will find in most of the suburbs there is very few pedestrians so it is fine. I always got off and  walked past a pedestrian if I come across one.  

The biggest danger I found was actually cars reversing out of driveways. It is amazing how many people do not stop and look at the footpath.

Definitely invest in an ebike if you are towing the trailer, unless you are quite a strong rider and willing to arrive at your destination sweaty.

I actually have 5 kids and have an ebike set up that I can take them all on. The purchase,  although quite expensive (about $5k all up) has been life changing. I could easily do drop offs at primary school, pre school and kindergarten without worrying about parking. I could basically pull up at the front gate/door. My drop off time reduced from about 45 mins to about 20 minutes. I could then continue on to work, using the ebike, and arrive without being sweaty or needing a shower.

The trailer also can be filled with groceries so I can do a big shop and bring home on my bike.  

We no longer have a car (we did move) and the reason we can manage this is because of the ebike setup.

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.  I did a lot of research into this before purchasing.

#7 CoffeeGuy

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Traffic is a minor issue on the route to the childcare.  Through a park and down a back street.

Regarding heat, cold and rain, it will be about 6am/6pm so heat won't be an issue.  It will be cold in winter so will need to wrap child up.  As for rain water proof trailer and a raincoat.

Yes trailer has to be durable enough to hold up.

My mother actually had one of those baby seats on the back of her bicycle.  That's another idea.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 07 November 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#8 tarrie cat

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

We managed to buy a second-hand Croozer trailer and it's been great. My daughter went into it when she was eight months old which meant we had to buy a special "baby" pack which had a booster and a head support. She's four and half now and we're still using it and will until she exceeds the weight (which is 35kg including extra cargo).

The distance you're riding is definitely doable. It's about what I do and I'm doing it on a normal bike. However, I'm a regular cyclist so for me it's an excuse to get some training in.

In four years of commuting on a bike, I've only had one road rage experience (got called a f*cking idiot - eh). On the whole people are pretty good as long as you're sensible and use the safety stuff like the flag. It's all about choosing your route.

ETA: All the good trailers will be waterproof. Our's has a plastic cover that stops the rain coming in but it can be rolled up and kept out of the way when it's not. The trailer has one of the best five-point harnesses I've ever seen.

Edited by tarrie cat, 07 November 2019 - 05:54 PM.

#9 Contrebasse

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

Lots of families near us use cargo bikes - https://www.bicyclen...ies/cargo-bike/

The ones with a long back are good for primary age kids too (think you use a baby seat until they can hold on themselves.)

#10 WaitForMe

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

We live in an area where lots of families don't own cars and use bikes as their main mode of transport.

In Melbourne too, so yes, all sorts of weather conditions. And with babies.

The challenge with a really little baby is securing them. They don't have much strength in their necks which means they can't wear a helmet. You'll need to do some googling into newborns and bikes. I think some people use a car capsule in the trailer.

The trailer is definitely a better option to the seat on the back, they need to be able to sit up unassisted before being in the seat.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

No No No DON NOT USE A CAPSULE OR CAR SEAT  in a trailer. You cannot safely secure it inside the trailer. Below is a picture of how to use an Infant insert inside a trailer (my son in a Chariot).
And before everyone goes "where is his helmet"-
1. He's 7 months old here. They don't make helmets to fit that size.
2. The helmet would interfere with the head side support/ projection and force his head forwards.
3. He's in a full 5 point harness with a U shoulder strap. If by some chance the trailer tipped, he's going to be suspended by the harness. The trailer is a built roll cage plus is attached to the bike by a special joint which allows the bike to tip but the trailer doesn't.

I have ridden in all types of extreme weather, including hail, tropical monsoon down pours, 0 degree Celsius days as well as temperatures up to 36 degrees (I was a serious cyclist doing over 100km per weekend before bubs) and little kids just cannot regulate temps as easily as us adults. Sitting still, they will feel the cold and even enclosed the wind gets in the trailer. Yes, you can get rain covers, but the actual fabric of a trailer is like woven outdoor chair fabric, touch it and the water seeps in.

Yes families can live without cars, but I am sure they also look at a rain radar and choose not to go when there's hail due or take public transport or a taxi. When you are talking about having a hard drop off or pick up time (which daycare will have), you have to have a plan B option for weather events.

Attached File  bike trailer.jpg   104.59K   24 downloads

#12 mm1981

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Regarding the weather, I dare say it would be an extremely unusual occurrence where the cold would be an issue. We now live overseas and I regularly ride with the kids in sub zero temperatures. So does countries like Denmark and Neatherlands.

Heat would be a bigger issue, but if you are travelling at 6am/6pm, this is unlikely to affect your journey, especially for such a short ride.

#13 wilding

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostCoffeeGuy, on 07 November 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies.

Traffic is a minor issue on the route to the childcare.  Through a park and down a back street.

Regarding heat, cold and rain, it will be about 6am/6pm so heat won't be an issue.  It will be cold in winter so will need to wrap child up.  As for rain water proof trailer and a raincoat.

Yes trailer has to be durable enough to hold up.

My mother actually had one of those baby seats on the back of her bicycle.  That's another idea.

The finger pincher I call those! My mum had one when I was growing up and I would continually get my fingers caught in the springs of the seat :omg:  I'm 37 and still remember that to this day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.