Going to 4yo kinder in different area to school

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Toby123

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

We are looking at moving but could take up to a year to find our forever home. This will mean my child will likely not go to prep with any of their kinder friends.

Starting school in 2021. Does anyone think that matters? I’m worried that will Make it difficult to settle in. Has anyone done this and what was your experience?

#2 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

This year in my group of 26 there are at least 6 who are going in a different area. Schools are used to it. Certainly your child won't have the comfort zone of being with peers, but unless you attend a kinder attached to a school then there is no guarantee friends would be attending the same school anyway. Don't over think it.

#3 nom_de_plume

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

I don’t think it will matter at all. The kids from DD kinder last year went to 8 different schools. Only 3 other kids went to the school DD did. She isn’t close friends with any of them now and has her own little group of friends she has made at school.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:58 PM

My kids never had any from the kindergarten go to the same school as them. Did not cause any problems.

#5 Future-self

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

DS only ended up at the same school as one boy for Kindy. The school put them in the same Class to help transition but really, i don;t think it had a big impact either way. With three Public schools and 3 Catholic Primaries in the two suburbs the Kindy serviced there was never going to be that follow through which we were fine with. Don't worry too much

#6 Dianalynch

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

Ds was the only one at his primary school from his kinder - no problem at all.

#7 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:32 PM

Most schools do a series of transisition sessions in the year beforehand. That way teachers can assess kids and the kids can recognise other potential classmates.
Just make an effort to attend these sessions so the people and the environment is familiar.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

I don’t think it’s a problem. Kids come from all over the place these days, various pre schools and child care centres. They won’t all have a familiar face or a friend. They will make new friends.

My sons will be the only ones from their kinder at their school. And their kinder is only 4kms away! There are just so many schools and pre schools and child care centres around here that the kids scatter a bit.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

With so many daycare centres around, and our school not accepting any out of area enrollments for this years intake, i dont think many kids knew each other before they started at prep this year.

i know from our kindy, there was only DS & 1 other, and they were not put in the same class.

#10 BornToLove

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

DD attended child care close to DH’s work. Her childcare offered a fantastic kinder program (better than the local kinders) so she didn’t know any kids in her FYOS class.

Looking back, it would have made the first few weeks easier. However, DD wasn’t the only who didn’t know anyone and by the end of term one, it was like the whole class was one little family unit. Part of that had to do with an amazing prep teacher. At the same time, FYOS is such a huge transition for everyone that social groups change and adapt I don’t think it makes a huge difference.

#11 More cheese Gromit

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

My DS was the only one kinder starting at his school, so he knew no one

He loves going to school and is making friends

#12 kimasa

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

We did this.

DD did kinder at her childcare centre, which was a national chain.

Jan-Oct she did it in one location.
In October we moved 45 mins away and transferred directly to the same chain in the new suburb, which was on the other side of the suburb- a suburb with 6 public primary schools (unless I'm forgetting one), plus three religious, plus the neighbouring suburb on that side has it's own schools, you get the picture.

The kinder transition was awful. There stemmed to be little consideration for the fact that she was moving into a new place with no kids she knew where the kids already had their groups. She was criticised for only making one friend (a girl with special needs who previously had no children playing with her) and I was told that she would struggle in school and I should reconsider her going.

She then went to a school near us and was the only child from her kinder there, and she thrived. She's had an excellent year. She's made lots of friends, is doing well academically and loves school. The kids are from a big assortment of places, just about every early learning centre and family daycare in the area, multiple council kinders, plus she's not the only one who recently moved to the area.

#13 ekbaby

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

Neither of my oldest 2 kids went to preschool with kids who were in their FYOS. DS1, it was because we moved. He didn’t even attend any of the transition stuff or best start, he just rocked up on day 1. He’s been completely fine. Like most kids he went through a few different friendship groups in his first couple of years (they are pretty flexible then) and the last few years has had a solid group.
DS2, as wed mived I could only get him into preschool a big further away from school. The preschool was great. He knew a few kids due to DS1 having been at school but it didn’t really make a difference. His best friend ended up being another new kid to the area who didn’t know anyone.
DD starts school next year and by fluke happens to have 2 kids from daycare going to her school (unexpected as her daycare is closer to my work than to school/home). She’s really not phased though and hasn’t even asked for/looked for those kids at orientation:

#14 gracie1978

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

I hunted out who was going to be in DS's class and invited them round for a playdate before orientation.

#15 smmaho

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

It is incredibly common for children to go into Prep with not knowing anyone. Children come from so many different areas, kinders and childcare centres that your child won't be the only one. They are also incredibly resilient at that age and I think us as parents find it more difficult than our children do. My child will end up going to our local kinder or childcare centre however he will be going to the school I teach at which is half an hour away. I have no concerns at all with him not knowing anyone.

#16 Kreme

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

I don’t think it matters at all. DD had a few girls from preschool who went to her school, but none in the same FYOS class. DS had no preschool friends go to his school, even though it was the local catchment public school. The school was great in facilitating new friendships b

I think it’s good for kids to learn to make new friends in different situations.

#17 Murderino

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:32 PM

Chiming in to say it doesn’t matter - my kids went to a kindergarten near my work and were the only children in their kinder that went to our school. They transitioned perfectly even though most of the kids in each of the FYOS classes came from one kinder.

Edited by Murderino, 06 November 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

I think there was only one child from his childcare that went to his FYOS, and it we close to his school

I don't see a problem

#19 Mands09

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

My DS1 went to a different preschool/kinder to everyone else at his FYOS. The teacher didn’t seem to understand that he knew no one and 95% of the other kids already had made friends from the attached preschool so it wasn’t going to be easy for him to fit in. He got criticised by her for not being able to make friends. Yet here we are at the end of the year and he has one kid who he is extremely close with and several others inviting him to their birthday parties etc who are in adjacent classes to his. He doesn’t gel with the kids in his class who seem cliquey (parents all know each other and catch up regularly outside of school) which is okay. DS1 couldn’t have cared less.

#20 **Xena**

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

In Tasmania Kinder is part of the school so generally all kids will move to Prep together. It's pretty common for kids to move away though. I don't think it's as hard for them in early years :)

#21 seayork2002

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostMands09, on 06 November 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

My DS1 went to a different preschool/kinder to everyone else at his FYOS. The teacher didn’t seem to understand that he knew no one and 95% of the other kids already had made friends from the attached preschool so it wasn’t going to be easy for him to fit in. He got criticised by her for not being able to make friends. Yet here we are at the end of the year and he has one kid who he is extremely close with and several others inviting him to their birthday parties etc who are in adjacent classes to his. He doesn’t gel with the kids in his class who seem cliquey (parents all know each other and catch up regularly outside of school) which is okay. DS1 couldn’t have cared less.

Weird teacher!

DS has gone onto have a wider group that has lasted to y6 where all the memebers just play more within smaller groups no one is deliberately left in or out all of the memebers just  mix around, they have worked it all out themselves I don't remember the teachers being involved

#22 WaitForMe

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

This happened to my daughter although it was only one suburb over... or more like 2, the edges of each of those two suburbs.

She was fine. Had a BFF in no time. The other kids have the advantage of being able to go back to their 'old' friendships, but the groups have moved around quite a bit, not just in FYOS but also grade 1.

Its nice to have, for sure, but its not the end of the world if they don't.

ETA: Plus from what I could see, the kids with kinder friends were not at all immune from school fear.

Edited by WaitForMe, 06 November 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#23 Toby123

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the reassurance - much appreciated.

#24 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

My girls went to our lovely local 4yo kinder. Most of their friends went to private schools where we went to the local public.
They were sad at the time but they made new friends very quickly. Kids do at htat age.

#25 dadwasathome

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

DS16 did kinder in the city. No-one from his kinder went to the same primary school (although he's caught up with one at high school). He did know 4-5 other kids from the mothers group crowd.

Ds11 went to kinder around the corner form home and literally on the opposite side of the zone for the school. He started school with 2 kids from kinder, but both moved away fairly early.

I really don't think it matters that much, but does depend on the childs' personality

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.