3 seats in Kia Sportage

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SuburbanPlum

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:52 AM

Hi there
Here's a challenge for those who are savvy about car seat configuration. We currently have 2 kids in FF Britax Graphene and FF Britax Slimm-Line in our Sportage.
1) Will we manage to fit a capsule in too? If so, which one? (Bonus if it fits on Mountain Buggy Duet or Swift pram) And what configuration?

2) When the new bub outgrows the capsule our eldest will be 4 and ready to move into a high back booster. If it all fits, we'll keep the two seats above and swap in a booster instead of the capsule. Which booster? What configuration?

Thanks for your thoughts. Would be fantastic if we don't have to upgrade to a larger vehicle for a while.

#2 Mose

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

Boosters with 3 across are very difficult to manage because you can't get your hand in between the seats easily to do the seat belt.

In your circumstances I would be planning on looking for a seat which will allow harnessing for longer.  

None of my nieces, nephews or the child old enough to say, have been able to sit safely in a booster as soon as they turned 4.

Edited by Mose, 05 November 2019 - 07:47 AM.

#3 theboys2

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

ive got a kia sportage and have def fit three seats in my car. I think a RF seat in the middle and two FF seats.

I would get two maxi guards or soemthing simialr which are extended harnessing as liek PP putting your hand down to buckle in is a PITA! and it hurts lol.

If you get a extended RF seat it will also give you longer to use that configuration. (i do not know the specific seats/ capsules you are talking about tho sorry)

I have managed 3 FF seats but it was 2 maxi guards and 1 booster (hiliner) I have also got three maxiguards in there before as well.

#4 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

If you're on FB OP there's a few car seat groups, someone on there can usually help.  We got 3 across in our camry, 2 maxi guard pros (now 3) and a RF Miridian.  I went to baby bunting and tried a heap of seats with the Miridian we already had from DD. If there's a baby store near you they're usually very helpful.

#5 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

With the graphene and the slimmline yes a capsule should fit. No idea which one fits your pram though, sorry. Install a FF seat in the middle first. Then the other FF seat on a side. Then the capsule on the other side.

While a seat belt booster is legal at 4yo it's not recommended. Most 4yo are not mature enough to be responsible for their own safety (sit still, not lean out, not slump even while asleep etc) plus it's hard to get your hand between the seats to do up the belt.

Much safer and easier to stay in a harnessed seat as long as possible. Britax maxi guard or maxi guard pro. Baby Love Ezy Grow. Infasecure grandeur (titanium or emperor or achieve or cadence). These are the "type G" harnessed seats that will keep up to a large 8yo/small 10yo harnessed.

#6 Jamelex

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:36 PM

A different option could be to forego the capsule, put your eldest in a harnessed booster (I have three maxi guards across two cars here) and then the little two could use your two existing seats (newborn of course RF).
The Graphene and Slimm-Line are narrow seats already. Your best chance at getting them to fit (however you choose to go forward) is install the middle seat first.

#7 SuburbanPlum

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like we might squeeze everyone in then. I appreciate info on the extended harnessing - wasn't aware of this option. Definitely keen on a MaxiGuard for the eldest.
The idea of putting our newborn straight into the Graphene had crossed my mind but I thought this might be tricky logistically - waking up when transferring to pram, carrier etc. Anyone successfully managed a younger child without a capsule?

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

i had a capsule for 4 days with #1 before swapping to a rear facing seat (he screamed blue murder in it & i couldnt lift it). As a newborn, they rarely woke on transfer & then as they got older they were so used to it they still barely stirred.

But just on the booster, my 3.5 year old has just reached the entry height booster on our infa secure travel booster & no way would i trust him to sit in it. But he is on the 85th percentile for height & most of that is in his body.

#9 BubbleBird

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

I've had three across in my Sportage! One being a Maxi Cosi Citi capsule. I don't know if that would fit your pram though. Also, I would keep your 4 yo in a harness for as long as possible, for both safety and ease of doing up. I've only just moved my 7 year old to a harness.

#10 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

SuburbanPlum, on 08 November 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

The idea of putting our newborn straight into the Graphene had crossed my mind but I thought this might be tricky logistically - waking up when transferring to pram, carrier etc. Anyone successfully managed a younger child without a capsule?
I have 4 and never had a capsule! In fact I didn't know many people with one.

#11 SuburbanPlum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

Thank you everyone. Feel a bit silly not knowing about extended harnessing. I think we might just go with a new MaxiGuard and put the wee one into No2's current Graphene.

#12 Jamelex

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

I’ve got three and all went straight into 0-4 seats, no capsules. There are quite a few harnessed boosters around but I love my maxi guards.

#13 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

Jamelex, on 09 November 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

I’ve got three and all went straight into 0-4 seats, no capsules. There are quite a few harnessed boosters around but I love my maxi guards.

Ditto on all of those. 3 kids, never had a capsule, love our maxi guards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.