Keeping baby cool in summer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Pearson

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

I had a heat rash baby in Brisbane summer.
Wet washers thrown in the freezer helped, we took them everywhere. Baths with some bicarb. Less clothes. Singlet and nappy at home, add nappy cover or training pants when you go out.
I am a big fan of singlets. They wick the sweat from your body, making it cooler.
Honestly, no matter what you do, baby could just be susceptible to heat rash. My heat rash baby got sent home in grade 1 from an airconditioned classroom with "measles". He had a freaking heat rash, no other symptoms, and only around his neck. The teacher got a quick lesson in over reacting.

#27 Babetty

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

View PostPearson, on 02 November 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Wet washers thrown in the freezer helped, we took them everywhere. Baths with some bicarb. Less clothes. Singlet and nappy at home, add nappy cover or training pants when you go out.

I'd forgotten this! We used to keep a stash of wet washers in a plastic bag in the freezer. Just rubbing the back of Bub's neck with it made a huge difference.

#28 Jingleflea

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

They're also good for a teething baby to gum on.

#29 Starflash

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

Have you ever tried the old-fashioned evaporative air conditioner? Aka wet towel by the fan :p

#30 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

I get why you're looking to appease the mother but it's ridiculous of her to threaten that you can't have the baby if you don't have Aircon 🙄. Definitely look at ways to keep him cool but I think she's being OTT.

#31 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

We kept DS cool for ages without an air con doing everything I suggested. You don’t need an air con, they certainly do help though.

#32 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

Singlet, nappy, change to cooler wraps (my ds3 wanted to be wrapped until 8-9 months through summer) try a thin sleeping bag instead if he likes it. Lots of fluid in small doses. Can be a wet flannel, sippy  cup of water, ice cube in a mesh bag feeder. Some kids are just prone to heat rashes and if it’s around the chin/neck area could possibly be dribble rash.
Also check your lease agreement to see if you are allowed to bring in a portable aircon seeing as you are a share house it may not be allowed

#33 CoffeeGuy

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

View PostI, on 02 November 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

I get why you're looking to appease the mother but it's ridiculous of her to threaten that you can't have the baby if you don't have Aircon 🙄. Definitely look at ways to keep him cool but I think she's being OTT.

Well heat rash is a problem and if I can't keep baby cool enough that becomes her problem as she has to deal with the rash during the week.  She does have a point but I think air con is a bit much.

Mother has the final word when it comes to children so better to comply.

View PostStarflash, on 02 November 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Have you ever tried the old-fashioned evaporative air conditioner? Aka wet towel by the fan Posted Image

Wow that works?  I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.

View Postlizzybirdsworth, on 02 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Singlet, nappy, change to cooler wraps (my ds3 wanted to be wrapped until 8-9 months through summer) try a thin sleeping bag instead if he likes it. Lots of fluid in small doses. Can be a wet flannel, sippy  cup of water, ice cube in a mesh bag feeder. Some kids are just prone to heat rashes and if it’s around the chin/neck area could possibly be dribble rash.
Also check your lease agreement to see if you are allowed to bring in a portable aircon seeing as you are a share house it may not be allowed

Only appliance banned is fan heater probably because it is a fire risk and it cooks the electricity bill.  Considering the coin operated air con, clothes washer and drier I reckon it is rocking the boat to have portable air con roasting the electricity bill.

#34 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

I have found pine tarsal baths that are not too warm or cool dealt with heat rash very well.

#35 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

You might find this ABC article useful:
https://www.abc.net....summer/11634332

One of the things I found useful in looking after a baby, is wondering what people would have done a generation or three ago.

My mother had six, 18 months apart, in a brick veneer without insulation (wasn't a thing then), and the only fans were ones small children could stick their fingers into. We lived somewhere with roasting hot summers, that didn't cool down overnight much.

I was in a weatherboard with higher ceilings, so not as bad, and just did the things she did - facewasher plus some moving air if you can.

The mother doesn't actually have the final say - she has a significant say given whatever happens at your house has implications for her, but that doesn't give her the right to dictate unreasonable requests of you, when it's your time with the baby.

One of the problems with constant air conditioning, which may be what she's used to, is that it makes the contrast with the actual temperature much more difficult to deal with.

The orientation of your room might be making a difference too.  I once lived in a weatherboard part of a house that faced west, and during heatwaves, had no escape from it.    If you get hot sun shining on the window, getting a piece of shadecloth and fixing that over the window outside will make a huge difference, if there's no sun protection on it.

#36 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 November 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

One of the things I found useful in looking after a baby, is wondering what people would have done a generation or three ago.

My mother had six, 18 months apart, in a brick veneer without insulation (wasn't a thing then), and the only fans were ones small children could stick their fingers into. We lived somewhere with roasting hot summers, that didn't cool down overnight much.

I was in a weatherboard with higher ceilings, so not as bad, and just did the things she did - facewasher plus some moving air if you can.

The mother doesn't actually have the final say - she has a significant say given whatever happens at your house has implications for her, but that doesn't give her the right to dictate unreasonable requests of you, when it's your time with the baby.

One of the problems with constant air conditioning, which may be what she's used to, is that it makes the contrast with the actual temperature much more difficult to deal with.

The orientation of your room might be making a difference too.  I once lived in a weatherboard part of a house that faced west, and during heatwaves, had no escape from it.    If you get hot sun shining on the window, getting a piece of shadecloth and fixing that over the window outside will make a huge difference, if there's no sun protection on it.

Agree entirely with this and is said much more eloquently than my attempt. As a society we have become so used to constant air con that people find it hard to cope without it now. Admittedly summers are getting hotter though 🤷. My kids are 6 and 3 and they were both babies in Brisbane in summer with no air con. I just used common sense and kept them dressed lightly, used fans, wet washers etc and they were mostly fine with minimal heat rash that I can recall.

#37 IamOzgirl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 November 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

Unfortunately unless court orders are in place she can refuse to give up baby.

It is also very unheard for court to grant overnights prior to 2yrs of age. If mother is against it.

Suspect OP won't be going doing the court order path anyway. But still is worth considering.

But OP is right in that he can buy the portable A/C unit and not use it.

#38 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 03 November 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Unfortunately unless court orders are in place she can refuse to give up baby.

It is also very unheard for court to grant overnights prior to 2yrs of age. If mother is against it.

Suspect OP won't be going doing the court order path anyway. But still is worth considering.

But OP is right in that he can buy the portable A/C unit and not use it.

Of course she can unreasonably refuse to hand the baby to him, but again, that would be unreasonable.

I can't imagine any court allowing that sort of requirement to be put into court orders if they existed under the circumstances (where they are not permitted at his residence).

#39 IamOzgirl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 November 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

Of course she can unreasonably refuse to hand the baby to him, but again, that would be unreasonable.

I can't imagine any court allowing that sort of requirement to be put into court orders if they existed under the circumstances (where they are not permitted at his residence).

I don't understand your second para.

But unfortunately it is not considered reasonable for a father to expect overnight stays under 2yrs of age.

#40 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:03 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 03 November 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

I don't understand your second para.

But unfortunately it is not considered reasonable for a father to expect overnight stays under 2yrs of age.

The mother has specified he must have air conditioning.  If she wanted that condition built into parenting orders, I'd be very surprised if any court allowed that to be added, given where he lives. What could/should be included if necessary is making sure the baby is kept cool enough - doing it the way people did for millennia.

Not sure if you've seen all the threads - the mother has flagged, more than once, her desire to leave the baby with him full time when the baby's about a year old, and move interstate.

In those circumstances, I suspect it would be considered very reasonable for the father to spend some periods of time with the child, and not just during the day, rather than a 12 month old suddenly thrust into a completely alien environment.

How that all pans out remains to be seen, but she's been consistent with her wishes.

Edited by born.a.girl, 03 November 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#41 IamOzgirl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Right I get you now.

I wasn't saying get air con built into parenting orders.

I was saying that with no parenting orders in place she can make up any excuse, or not even an excuse can just say no, not this week.

Mother isn't being consistent, yes she says she wants to give baby up to him full time. But then is saying "no, not unless you have air con"

So she is not consistent. The only way OP will have consistentency is parenting orders. And I suspect he won't do that.

So to see his baby right now he needs to go by her rules, and so buying an A/C and not using it is a good plan.

#42 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 03 November 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Right I get you now.

I wasn't saying get air con built into parenting orders.

I was saying that with no parenting orders in place she can make up any excuse, or not even an excuse can just say no, not this week.

Mother isn't being consistent, yes she says she wants to give baby up to him full time. But then is saying "no, not unless you have air con"

So she is not consistent. The only way OP will have consistentency is parenting orders. And I suspect he won't do that.

So to see his baby right now he needs to go by her rules, and so buying an A/C and not using it is a good plan.

I agree, but what a waste of money.

No, I know you weren't saying 'get it built in', I was simply saying if they DID get parenting orders she'd have buckleys of having it built it, and I consider it unreasonable whether they do or don't.

Maybe he should, given her vacillations (which may be due to the stress that's she under).

#43 gracie1978

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

This thread has had so many good suggestions
We have two broken ceiling fans, getting them replaced with new DC ceiling fans, hopefully that will keep us all cool enough at night.

#44 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 03 November 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

This thread has had so many good suggestions
We have two broken ceiling fans, getting them replaced with new DC ceiling fans, hopefully that will keep us all cool enough at night.

Our bedroom ceiling fan is just extraordinary.

On the advice of Choice we got a six speed one as our bedroom's not huge, and the lowest speed on the three speed ones can be too high.

We pretty much leave it on the lowest speed all of summer - the speed is such that it just feels like you're outdoors on a pleasant day - difficult to even pick up air movement, but it's there.

With a sweaty husband I like the way it keeps the air fresher, too.

#45 Soontobegran

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 November 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

Courts can do strange things when babies are involved.

efc

Edited by Soontobegran, 05 November 2019 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.