Keeping baby cool in summer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 CoffeeGuy

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

Hello,

I recently had my son stay over for the weekend, it was 34 degrees so baby was too warm and got a heat rash.  Mother wants me to get air conditioning so I can have my child without him getting too warm and getting rash.

I had a fan blowing on him but that was not enough to prevent heat rash.

I've been looking at some portable air conditioners so I can see my son and keep him from getting heat rash.

Is it possible to keep baby from getting heat rash without portable air conditioner?  Maybe a better fan or damp cloth.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 01 November 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#2 Mooples

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

I remember in your other thread you mentioned wrapping him pretty frequently. You might need to look at summer weight sleeping bags for him to wear over the warmer weather. I think a fan should work well enough in your bedroom.

#3 JomoMum

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

What was he wearing? Did you have him wrapped the entire time?

#4 ainira

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

How warm was it inside and what are you dressing your son in? Is he wearing too many layers?

Are you using a sleep bag for sleep or are you still wrapping? Wrapping is likely to be too warm, and he’s probably getting too old to be wrapped.

ETA. Snap. Other EBers seem to be thinking the same as me :)

Edited by ainira, 01 November 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#5 Crazyone26989

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

Our bedrooms don’t have aircon so my DS sleeps in about a 25-26 degree room. I’ll turn the fan on if it’s more than that or seems stuffy. He wears short sleeve and leg pjs and a 0.2 tog sleeping bag. Never had a problem.

#6 Grrrumbles

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

You also need to think what will work when he is more active. Fans can be tricky with older babies pulling themselves up to stand on them or tripping over the base.
Have you got a room thermometer and heavy curtains? If the temperature keeps going up even if the room is pretty dark then you are probably going to need better cooling.

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Get a portable air con.  

Keep the room at a reasonable temp - eg maybe around 22 - 24 degrees in summer.  Dress him with light layers - he doesn't need heavy winter type clothes or wraps now.

#8 CoffeeGuy

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

He was wearing a nappy and a sleeveless, legless cotton onesie.  Pretty thin material.  I had him just wearing the nappy for a bit during the day.

I don't have a thermometer so not sure about the temperature inside my room.  It was probably around 25 and pretty humid.  I'll get a thermometer.

Could get lighter weight blanket for wrapping or not wrap.

#9 Paddlepop

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

Get another fan that can be used only for baby when he's with you. Point it just above him when he's sleeping to keep the air moving. A fan pointing directly at a baby when sleeping can result in them getting too cold.

Dress him in natural fibres like cotton and bamboo. Ditch the synthetics.

Dress him in less clothes. If it's hot just have a nappy on him if he's happy with that. Maybe just a singlet or sleeveless legless onesie aka singlet onesie. No need for pants.

Use a very light wrap when he's sleeping, or none at all. A thin 100% cotton muslin should be sufficient to wrap him. No heavy wraps or heavy sleeping blankets. Dress him lightly underneath the wrap. Just a singlet or summer onesie.

Leave his arms out of the wrap. He needs them out to be able to roll over and back again.

Wipe him down with a cool damp washer.

#10 Ozquoll

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:18 PM

Paddlepop's advice is excellent. I'd only add that in a humid, 25 degree room I wouldn't have any sort of covering on baby, and definitely not a wrap.

I'm not so sure about the portable air-conditioner - they might cool the room but they are so bloody noisy I doubt either you or baby will get any sleep! If you're in Melbourne and you want to try one anyway, I've got one you can have for free 🙃...

#11 Paddlepop

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

Ozquoll: Lol, I had a summer baby in Brisbane. Hello humidity.

Portable air cons can be great. They make the room cool. I have two of them in two different rooms. Biggest problem is that they're bloody expensive to run but they can be the only type of air conditioning possible for renters. They can be loud but depending on the baby that might not be an issue. It can work well to block out any outside noise that might disturb the baby. Mind you, my baby would settle and go to sleep to the sound of a Lady Gaga CD so she had no issue with sleeping with the portable air con running on really hot days.

#12 Ozquoll

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:14 PM

Paddlepop - I had a Melbourne late summer baby, and didn't he hate the heat (just like his Mumma😆)! When winter rolled around, my stubborn little baby still hated having covers on him, even in an unheated bedroom 🥶. Hasn't changed, still can't keep sheets or blankets on him at age 6. I figure too cold is preferable to too hot, especially when they're babies.

The only time I used my portable air conditioner was the last six weeks of pregnancy, when I was huge and miserably overheated. I ran that thing constantly for six weeks and was rewarded with a power bill $200 higher than usual 😦. Worth every penny, I admit! Even though I did have to sleep with earplugs in and hardly saw DH for six weeks as his QLD bones objected to the cold in the bedroom 😆.

Edited by Ozquoll, 01 November 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

Get a thermometer and check his temperature, that way you can tell if he really is too hot.

Your temperature doesn't just rise from a fever, you can also use it to tell if a baby is too hot. It will also be useful for when he does get sick.

I have an in-ear one, but this one will do it on the forehead and also measure room temperature, not sure how accurate:
https://www.chemistw...ead-thermometer

If he is wrapped, you'll want a muslin cloth wrap. Super thin and perfect for swaddling.
https://www.kmart.co...--bears/2457806

#14 CoffeeGuy

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

Ok will take these recommendations in consideration and I'll pick up a second hand air conditioner too so the mother is satisfied and will allow me to have my son over.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 02 November 2019 - 08:50 AM.

#15 ainira

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostCoffeeGuy, on 02 November 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Ok will take these recommendations in consideration and I'll pick up a second hand air conditioner too so the mother is satisfied and will allow me to have my son over.

Just bear in mind that these units are extremely noisy and expensive to run. Will your flat mates be ok with the noise? It may also affect your rent if utilities are currently included.

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

A fan will be plenty. Baby will need to stop being wrapped, get a lightweight sleeping bag (0.2-0.5 tog).

#17 BECZ

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

We had (well it’s still in the garage) a portable air con in the last place that we rented and it wasn’t noisy at all.
Not sure if some brands are louder than others, but ours was a Delonghi Pinguino if that helps at all.  It was about $1400, but they have come down a lot in price, so not sure if the quality is the same.
It didn’t make the 3br unit we were renting ice cold, but made the unbearable quite comfortable.

#18 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

My DS lived in a vest and nappy when it was hot. We also had a lot of sleeveless, legless onsies which we got from Big W along with the lightweight sleeping bag.

#19 onetrick

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

I like your logic about getting whatever it takes to get your ex to allow your DS to sleep over :)
Others have made practical suggestions about not wrapping bub up as well. It could also be the carrier- depends on the brand and type, but we used to find DS got far too hot in ours.
Does your house have any type of cooling at all?? If you live somewhere hot- how do you normally cope with the heat?

#20 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

I used to give DS a wipe down with a damp wash cloth as well, including getting it on his best.

Also, summer is great to do nappy free time. Just put some towels on the floor. We got some great photos :)

#21 CoffeeGuy

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

Haha there is actually a coin operated air conditioner in the living room.  You can imagine how land lord would not like seeing their electricity bill shoot up hundreds of dollars just as Coffeeguy starts looking after baby.

I'm old fashioned, when it's hot you drink water and use a fan.  I never had air conditioning, dish washers or that fancy newfangled stuff.

I can pick up a second hand one off gumtree for $100 to appease the mother.  Store it in my room but never ever use it.

As long as I can keep baby cool enough to prevent baby heat rash mother will never know.

No nappy!?  That's living on the edge.

Edited by CoffeeGuy, 02 November 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#22 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

It is, but those bums need airing to prevent nappy rash. Especially in summer!

This is why I suggested towels, which are good for preventing mess as well as being nice to crawl, roll on.

#23 Crazyone26989

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

View PostCoffeeGuy, on 02 November 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

Haha there is actually a coin operated air conditioner in the living room.  You can imagine how land lord would not like seeing their electricity bill shoot up hundreds of dollars just as Coffeeguy starts looking after baby.

I'm old fashioned, when it's hot you drink water and use a fan.  I never had air conditioning, dish washers or that fancy newfangled stuff.

I can pick up a second hand one off gumtree for $100 to appease the mother.  Store it in my room but never ever use it.

As long as I can keep baby cool enough to prevent baby heat rash mother will never know.

No nappy!?  That's living on the edge.

LOL my son LOVES nappy free time. He gets at least 5-10 mins every nappy change and it improves his mood greatly!

#24 nom_de_plume

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

The only cooling we have in our house is one pedestal fan in each bedroom. My kids mostly slept in a singlet and nappy or just a nappy, and then in a sleeveless sleeping bag over summer and were fine. Agree with plenty of nappy free time.

Once they’re rolling you’ll need to stop wrapping and use a sleeping bag instead. You can get very light muslin sleeping bags for summer.

Also some babies (and adults) are just prone to heat rash. The suggestions in this thread are great for keeping baby comfortable, but it may just be that he is prone to heat rash.

#25 Lunafreya

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

My son would get terrible heat rash. Still does.

We used to get a shell pool and put it on the balcony once he could sit up. I’d always be out there too, supervising Bub as well as keeping cool by putting my feet in the water.  Sometimes you’d get all three of us me, ex and MIL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.