St Kevin's students act like feral monsters on the train

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 gruidae

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

https://www.theguard...-melbourne-tram

What a surprising coincidence that the school which covered for Pell for years is producing boys who like to sing sex predator songs at women in public.

Their parents are the class of people who want the kids I work with punished for needing welfare, while they happily raise the next generation of rapists who get let off with a slap on the wrist because "They're from good families"

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

it’s appalling isn’t it. seems like it’s a huge cultural problem at that school (and other schools too of course).

#3 Meepy

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

On the radio this morning they interviewed one of the women who was on the tram. What they chanted was absolutely disgusting and I would be intimidated by the group. A former student has gone public and said this type of behaviour is common and not dealt with appropriately.

#4 MarigoldMadge

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

Even apart from the singing and the song, their mass overtook a public space and dominated in a way that made everyone else feel uncomfortable.

No excuse - my brothers went there in the 80’s and they don’t recognise their school experience. They don’t know the song, and it was drummed into them always about behaviour while representing the school in uniform. How it’s changed since then, I don’t know

They all got the email from the principal today - it’s pretty clear and emphatic.

And I like Clem Ford’s take.

https://10daily.com....-women-20191022

#5 TrixieBelden

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

The media really needs to stop referring to these schools as ‘prestigious’ and just start describing them as what they are: ‘expensive’.

Are the students really not expelled for that behaviour?

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

yep, quoting from the article MM posted -

“As a young girl, there were few things more intimidating to me that large groups of boys and men all gathered together in a primal display of male dominance and misogyny.”

so true... they invade our space. all of our spaces. it’s so intimidating and it’s meant to be intimidating. they know what they’re doing.

#7 Hands Up

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 22 October 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

yep, quoting from the article MM posted -

“As a young girl, there were few things more intimidating to me that large groups of boys and men all gathered together in a primal display of male dominance and misogyny.”

so true... they invade our space. all of our spaces. it’s so intimidating and it’s meant to be intimidating. they know what they’re doing.

I still find it intimidating.

#8 petal71

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

So disgusting and intimidating. Did they think they would get away with it in this age where everyone has a video cam on their phone, and they were in uniform in a public place surrounded by older ppl, families? Or did they straight up not GAF?

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

View PostHands Up, on 22 October 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

I still find it intimidating.

yeh i do too.

#10 Treasure Island

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

How entitled do you have to be to think it is ok to behave like that when you are in uniform and on your way to an event to represent the school?

it was drummed into them always about behaviour while representing the school in uniform

Yep, pretty sure in the 80s we would have been expelled for that kind of behaviour.

#11 gruidae

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

View Postpetal71, on 22 October 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

So disgusting and intimidating. Did they think they would get away with it in this age where everyone has a video cam on their phone, and they were in uniform in a public place surrounded by older ppl, families? Or did they straight up not GAF?
They straight up don't GAF because they don't have to.Young people screwing up from that social class get the "boys will be boys" excuses, whereas when boys from poorer areas do the same they're criminalised, called "gangs" and the Herald Sun has conniptions.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:13 PM

View Postpetal71, on 22 October 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

Well they will get away with it. And then they will wonder how much further they can push the boundary and still get away with it.. and they will get away with that too. And all women will suffer.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

View Postgruidae, on 22 October 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

They straight up don't GAF because they don't have to.Young people screwing up from that social class get the "boys will be boys" excuses, whereas when boys from poorer areas do the same they're criminalised, called "gangs" and the Herald Sun has conniptions.

Ain’t this the truth...

It’s bullsh*t.

#14 Future-self

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

That particular gem of a “sports chant” was popular in the late 90s when i was at school too. All the Private school boys sang it on Sat nights at parties - when technically they were/should have been trying to be their best selves to impress us girls. And yet....
I can still remember how their songs and their pack intimidation made me feel.

Some middle aged dudes at my work were banging on about the issue being the in public language, and in public intimidation and general issue being the public brazen nature of the situation. It took me multiple attempts to get them to see that a culture where bonding and sportsmanship are tied closely with singing about rape of faceless non consenting females was the actual  issue - whether that be in private behind school doors, at parties in their homes like I was subjected to or in public.

TBH I’m not  sure that they really truly got it but I think I added something to their thoughts regarding it.

Edited by Future-self, 22 October 2019 - 09:43 PM.

#15 Murderino

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Some guy on Clem’s Facebook page basically said “boys will be boys when in a group” while commenting that her article was great. How could he like her article and so completely miss the point.

#16 zenkitty

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

They know they can get away with whatever they like, they’ve had 16-odd years of training in the ways of rich, entitled men. Can you imagine the outrage if a bunch of kids of African descent were chanting that? They would have been arrested.

When I was at school people in the community would dob you in for eating in public in your school uniform, or not giving up your seat on the bus, it was a small town so they could usually figure out who the perpetrator was and give them detention!

It reminds me of the private school boy in The Hunting - no consequences, only support from powerful fathers who have gotten where they are with the same awful behaviour.

Edited by zenkitty, 22 October 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#17 someoneanon

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

And this is why the catholic organisation needs to be shut down. It's all poisoned and need to be purified with redemptive actions from church and school systems. Nothing will happen though and it will keep producing disgusting things.

#18 lizzzard

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

The behaviour is unacceptable but I think the incident provides an excellent opportunity for cultural progress. I wonder what the school’s response has been? Surely such behaviour should be grounds for expulsion?

#19 Quay11

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:18 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 22 October 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

The behaviour is unacceptable but I think the incident provides an excellent opportunity for cultural progress. I wonder what the school’s response has been? Surely such behaviour should be grounds for expulsion?

I am so much more cynical about this prompting any cultural change...

These boys think it's fine to do this in public, and they'll go onto to illustrous careers in and around Australia with everyone they surround themselves making excuses for their poor attitudes, lack of empathy and inability for self-reflection.

Insular, boorish, depressing creatures that they'll turn into to "lead Australia" thanks to our depressing ghetto schools of privlege and pomposity. I hope they get cultural change but I suspect their parents and the school will too concerned about their mental health to actually do anything life changing for them. My main hope was it was just a couple of ring leaders and some of the boys actually felt uncomfortable about it.

#20 BadCat

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

I think there'll be a couple of minutes attention and then it will all disappear, same as all bad behaviour by teenage boys from wealthy families.

I don't think they should be expelled.  I think it would be utterly hypocritical for a school to expel students for living the culture that they've taught them. Better to fire the faculty who covertly support this kind of behaviour.

The culture of elitist schools in particular needs to be thoroughly investigated and monitored.  As Clem Ford says, there will be plenty of kids there who are uncomfortable with this behaviour.  They need to be given a voice in the school.  They need to feel comfortable to bring this kind of behaviour down.  Because if we can tear down this kind of thing at schools, we're halfway to killing the root of toxic masculinity.

#21 SFmummyto3

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

View Postzenkitty, on 22 October 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

It reminds me of the private school boy in The Hunting - no consequences, only support from powerful fathers who have gotten where they are with the same awful behaviour.

Yes I thought about this show also.

Usually it’s been Xavier with the negative press reports of bullying and bad behaviour. These guys are old Xavier boys and two are sons of a QC and one of a Scientist sentenced just yesterday..

https://www.google.c...rticle/11625862

Disgusting behaviour. They know they can get away with it. Good on that lady filming it and sending it to the Abc.

Edited by SFmummyto3, 23 October 2019 - 06:16 AM.

#22 lizzzard

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:19 AM

View PostQuay11, on 23 October 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

I am so much more cynical about this prompting any cultural change...

These boys think it's fine to do this in public, and they'll go onto to illustrous careers in and around Australia with everyone they surround themselves making excuses for their poor attitudes, lack of empathy and inability for self-reflection.

Insular, boorish, depressing creatures that they'll turn into to "lead Australia" thanks to our depressing ghetto schools of privlege and pomposity. I hope they get cultural change but I suspect their parents and the school will too concerned about their mental health to actually do anything life changing for them. My main hope was it was just a couple of ring leaders and some of the boys actually felt uncomfortable about it.
I didn’t mean cultural progress in general, but within the school. If this is handled well, it could be a catalyst for setting a new expectation about the standard of behaviour that is supposed to be the norm, and what won’t be tolerated at the school. It can be disheartening to see examples of the current norm but if people throw up their hands and say it will never change...it will never change.

#23 AllyK81

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:27 AM

The boys at the University college I lived at about 15 years ago used to sing this. There are more verses!

Skevs seems to be in the media more than the others which amuses me no end because my old next door neighbour’s (admittedly lovely!) son goes there and she was always badgering me to send DS there which I have no intention of doing.

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:40 AM

it’s probably one of those schools that parents justify spending all that money on because it “aligns with their values”....hmmm, think about that.

#25 esme weatherwax

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

The boys (footy guys I think) used to sing this at our very low socio economic public school. Being obnoxious isn't exclusive to wealth. That being said, they should absolutely face punishment and more importantly they should be made to listen to women, children and other members of society telling them exactly why this behaviour is intimidating and unsavoury.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.