Illness and Childcare

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 rubyskye

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

Is it really that bad? I've held off (DS are 3 yrs and 1yr) but am sort of considering a childcare centre for them so I can study/work.

DS gets very bad ear infections in winter and I'm stressed putting him in childcare will lead to more ear infections.

All the kids I've seen in childcare seem to have permanent runny noses and one was hospitalised after picking up gastro at childcare. Are they in the wrong kind of places or is there a heap of illness going round?

The educator I saw said they are basically sick for the first 6 months with things like conjunctivitis and colds :( our problem is our DS gets ear infections after every cold.

Thanks

#2 seayork2002

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

DS had a few times (he started at 12 months 3 days a week) where he had a cold/lethargic type thing so was off a few times in the first year.

After that I do not remember him getting sick

(yes this is just me posting about my son I am not saying medically anything)

#3 literally nobody

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

whether you do daycare or not it happens anyway in kindy or school.

my kids weren’t too bad tbh. I always gave them probiotics so not sure if that contributed.

#4 Tokra

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Depends entirely on the child and their immune system etc.

#5 Luci

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

I think it also depends on the child. I have 3 children who are all now at school. My oldest DD got sick quite a bit when she started preschool at the age of 3, so much so I was dreading it when DS started, thinking to myself "here we go again".  However he didn't get sick much at all, and neither did my younger DD.

#6 chicken_bits

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Anecdotally, my kids got sick a fair bit when they were younger and in daycare, but now they are rarely sick and when they are, it is very mild.

My daughter seems to have an epic immune system. Whenever bugs go around school she doesn't seem to get them. Nor get sick when her brother (who she shares a room with) gets sick. *touches alllllll the wood*

My friend whose child started kinder without any previous daycare experience had a year of hell then instead.

I'd say it also matters how good the daycare centre is in terms of hygiene practices and enforcing exclusion periods.

I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor re: putting your kids into care. But I understand that sick leave/carers entitlements certainly needs to be considered.

#7 Grrrumbles

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

It varies so much in my experience but when your oldest starts school, your youngest is likely to affected a bit too. As well as coughs and colds, things like hand foot and mouth and nits can also be the cause of exclusion. Both my DH and I work in large buildings so it would be hard to blame everything on childcare.

#8 kitkatswing

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

Mine started at 6 months old.. The first couple of years she was sick a fair bit...
She started Prep this year and hasnt been sick once... (touch wood)...
It built up her immune system heaps!

#9 South Coast

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

I'm going to be honest and say we had a terrible time with DS - he started at 11 months.

We took him for an hour trial the week before he started at the centre, within 24 hours he was sick.  From there he was sick for 18 months, we had two hospital stays, antibiotics all the time.  I ended up also getting made redundant from my job because neither myself or DS could keep well.

Fast forward 5 years and DS started school this year - he is as strong as an ox, hardly ever sick...  I still get sick all the time but thats a whole other story.

#10 spartan_mum

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Consider Family Day care as an option if you are concerned. My DS1 hardly ever got sick when he started at 7 months. Much less children so obviously less chances of getting sick.

My twins (DS2 & DD1) went straight to a daycare and have been much more sick. Nothing serious mostly just colds but given that most daycare's are quite strict with attendance if sick they have had much more time off (even when really they could have gone but had to be excluded due to having a temp while at daycare the previous day for example)

#11 klr75

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

maybe look into Family Daycare - smaller group of kids

#12 eigne

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

We started at 10 months in March. That first winter both she and I had one cold after another for about four months. We’d be well for a day or two and then come down with another bug.

But we have been fine since then! This past winter she’s had a few runny noses but I have been totally fine (touch wood).

#13 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

Neither of my children have ever been hospitalised as a result of a daycare-acquired illness. DD never got hand foot and mouth (probably got it without symptoms as it went through her room) while DS has had it twice this year (and DD still didn’t get it). They both got quite a few colds but rarely anything that involved a long time off - except the HFM bouts for DS (the second lot took 10 days to clear) and a bout of norovirus which had DS out for ages early this year (never-ending gastro was not fun). DD is now 5yo and in full time school. When she gets a cold it lasts about half a day now.

#14 Mands09

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

My first started at 11 months and was constantly sick for 6 months. The GPs were useless anytime I took him there as well.

Last straw for that centre was being home gastro at least once a month. I was pregnant with DS2 and caught it every time.

Went to a different centre after a year break. DS1 rarely got sick there. DS2 went when he was 5 months old and picked up a few things, nothing too serious until he bought home a bug that landed DS3 in hospital at 6 weeks old with how nasty it was. At that point I pulled the pin on childcare as I was going to need care for 3 kids and a nanny was cheaper. Never get sick anymore and I really can’t face the thought of putting DS3 into childcare next year whilst the others are at school.

Goodluck. Hope your experience is better than ours.

#15 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 21 October 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

whether you do daycare or not it happens anyway in kindy or school.

There have been a few studies that confirm this hypothesis. (not conclusively, yet)

As in, you get it in either daycare or school. Was true for my kids.

#16 Mollycoddle

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Another saying it depends on the kid.  I think childcare centres get a bad rap as far as this is concerned.  Kids can pick up things from anywhere and everywhere and it can take time for their immune systems to develop.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 21 October 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#17 Pocket...

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

I think it depends a bit on the centre and the child.

Ds got a cold fortnightly at daycare initially but very rarely got ill when he started school.

Dd didn't get ill when she started daycare or school but got ill more often and younger than ds as she got bugs off him.

Some kids I know didn't do daycare and got ill more often starting school. Others got an increase in illness at daycare and school.

#18 Magnolia2

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 21 October 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

There have been a few studies that confirm this hypothesis. (not conclusively, yet)

As in, you get it in either daycare or school. Was true for my kids.

A GP said this anecdotally to me too, ie. you can either put it off a few years til school, or ride the wave of regular lurgies now and enrol your kid in childcare. Neither are exactly desirable options!

(To answer OP’s q: DS has been in since the start of the year, got two back to back viruses with rashes in the opening month. Since then he has had an ongoing runny nose, but nothing significant that’s kept him upset and/or out of childcare. Touch wood. It probably helps that on both occasions there was an outbreak of HFMD we were away though!)

#19 Jenflea

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

DD didn't go to daycare but she also didn't get sick more than once or twice a year once she started preschool and onwards.
Year 2(last year) she had gastro a few times and a cold or 2, but the school had a shocking run of illnesses, half the teachers were away sick for a week or 2 all at once.

She's nearly 10 and rarely gets sick at all.  Some people are more prone to illnesses and some less I suspect.

#20 quartz85

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

If he is getting ear infections that frequently it may be worth seeing an ENT. DD was getting them with every cold and she now has grommets. Hasnt had one since.

I think germs and little kids go hand in hand. Regardless of daycare. We seem to be getting heaps now with FYOS and kids bringing different germs home from two different places.

#21 JomoMum

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

View PostTokra, on 21 October 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Depends entirely on the child and their immune system etc.

Completely agree.

DS started at 18 months and never went through any stage of being sick all the time. He got the occasional cold. Even now, he’s in FYOS, he’s had one day off this year  due to a tummy bug.

#22 rosie28

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:27 PM

We’ve never had any issues with the children being sick from daycare. Lots of people seem to (my niece and nephew seem to be constantly ill) but this year we had one child with an ear infection and the other with a runny nose/mild cold, and last year no illness at all, so it isn’t inevitable. My 5.5 year old will finish daycare in the next month or so having had a total of 3 days off (all going well, I should knock on wood). Our 3 year old has had one day off since she started at 12 months old.

I think it’s just the individual kid, and a bit of luck (we’ve had no nits either).

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

From an external observation it depends on both the child & the centre.

Whatever centre my nephews attended, they seemed to be constantly sick, mind you starting school they still seem to be sick all the time & pick up every single bug going around.

Yet our close friends had the total opposite experience, only a handfull of illnesses between both kids (different centre) & now with both at school there are the same.

Neither of mine went to daycare, but on starting school we havent had any worse run of bugs than the previous winter.

ETA: Im expecting a different experience next year when my little mr goes to kindy - he's my asthmatic & unfortunately gets quite ill with a cold.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 21 October 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#24 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

I had 2 girls close in age go through childcare. They were both prone to ear infections too and got sick a lot with ear infections and tonsilitis.
After about the 16th round of antibiotics within a few months I pushed hard for their tonsils to be removed.

They also had grommits in ears and DD1 adenoids out. Virtually zero illness after that.

Just a heads up for OP as her son sounds like he has similar issues. They dont take tonsils out lightly but the grommits might be something to investigate.

My 5 month old DS will need to attend childcare when I go back to work in about a years time.  Im fully expecting him to have the same issues so this time I will keep very good records of his illnesses and get the ENT opinion earlier.

- Oh also OP you could look at FDC.  Ive never used it but from reading forums I gather the smaller size means less chance of infection.

#25 onetrick

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

DS is 18m ans isnt in childcare, yet gets sick frequently when I take him to swimming or play centers... so I dont think we are avoiding it just by avoiding childcare! Plus DH and I are both teachers, so I'm sure we bring home some bugs too... I do know that my first year of teaching was awful for illness and they say the same happens when you change schools- it's like you get used to some bugs, but then get exposed to new ones!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.