Bread makers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

I really want one.

I have a pasta maker and an el cheapo thermie and I use them both most weeks.  I'm not one for buying appliances and not using them.

Does anyone have a good one they love and use most days?

#2 Mands09

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

Had one and preferred to bake bread in the oven. So for me it’s a waste of money.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

Use your cheap thermo to make bread! There are some amazing recipes, give it time to double prove and it turns out so soft and fluffy :)

#4 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

Can you not make the dough in the thermie?

I honestly don’t think you need (knead?? Hahaha) one.

My mum uses one most days and has for over 10 years. She recently started cooking the bread in the oven so only uses the bread maker for kneading and proving.

She has an amazing tin she uses for the oven I can find out the name of.

#5 ~J_F~

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

When I am in a bread mood, I make the dough in the thermie and bake in the oven.

I got rid of my bread maker once I got my thermie.

#6 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

We had one growing up that we used until it broke.

You put the stuff in at night and in the morning you have fresh bread :) waking up each day to fresh bread sounds (smells) heavenly.

If I had a thermie I'd use it, but I'll just end out burning the motor out on my cheap one if I force it to make bread.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

In that case I'd get one. I haven't got any recs as to brands though.

Like you said, if you have an appliance you use it so if you have the space, why not!

You also just reminded me about my pasta machine that's been sitting in the cupboard for 2 years :/

I have pasta guilt now.

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Ours is a godsend! We grind (some of) the flour ourselves, and it's nice knowing exactly what goes into the bread my son eats every day. Each loaf costs slightly more than a dollar in ingredients, so a good money saver too. Re PPs who use the bread machine for the dough then bake it in the oven - I sometimes do this in winter, but in summer there is no way I'm going to heat up the house by having the oven on! The bread machine doesn't have any noticeable effect on the temperature of the kitchen the way the oven does.

Mine is a Panasonic. Don't think they make the model anymore, but it looks similar to this one:
https://www.billyguy...AyABEgIcVPD_BwE

#9 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

I do have quite a large kitchen, so there is bench room

Go make pasta lozoodle!

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:33 PM

SIL just uses her kitchen aid to make the dough & then bakes it in the oven.

#11 lozoodle

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:38 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 20 October 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

I do have quite a large kitchen, so there is bench room

Go make pasta lozoodle!

I do love making it! I'll drag it out tomorrow :)

#12 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

A big mixer is the one thing I don't have, not totally inclined to buy one, don't tend to bake things that need a big mixer.

#13 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

I have a lot of appliances and I use most of them regularly. I didn’t use the bread maker we were gifted and I passed it on. Love our Philips pasta and noodle maker. Have a thermie too.

I knead dough in my KitchenAid and slow prove in the fridge.  Then bake in the oven. I understand if you don’t want a big stand mixer though. I am not energetic enough to do the old fashion kneading so will do the ‘folding’ method which achieves the same effect with much less effort. It just takes more time.

I prefer this method because my tin is a good size and I get even loaves. I understand that newer bread makers don’t leave the paddle hole in it which used to annoy me. I also often make rolls for burgers which I’d have to bake in the oven anyway.

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:58 PM

I make all of our bread using the thermomix for kneading, and then in the oven.

My recipe is pretty much perfect now :yes:

300g warmish water
20g olive oil
2 tsp's dried yeast
1/8 tsp salt
250g white bakers flour
250g multigrain bread mix
100mg mixed seeds and cracked wheat

Knead for 4 minutes, put in bowl to double in size (about 1-2 hours depending on temperature) , then another short knead and into an oiled bread tin and let rise (again 1-2 hours).  Bake at 200 for 32 minutes.  I do 2 loaves each time.

This makes a nice compromise between something my kids will eat and something I'm happy to give them.

#15 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

When we were looking to buy one, the bread mix shop recommended a fairly cheap one. We used it a lot because we were living in a remote town that only brought in frozen bread, only once a week. I've barely used it since we returned to civilisation!

#16 gracie1978

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:36 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 20 October 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

When we were looking to buy one, the bread mix shop recommended a fairly cheap one. We used it a lot because we were living in a remote town that only brought in frozen bread, only once a week. I've barely used it since we returned to civilisation!

Our local IGA never seems to have fresh bread...and from working at the council I know too much about the local bakery!  Woolies is good, but with the baby twins next year I won't be setting foot in there, it'll be all online.

I think I will get one, now which one?

#17 Toddlerandme

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

I have a sunbeam bakehouse breadmaker and am happy with it. Biggest complaint is how noisy it is when mixing. I haven’t owned any other breadmaker to compare though.

#18 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 21 October 2019 - 04:36 AM, said:

I think I will get one, now which one?
I think ours was a Sunbeam. We went for a bigger one than the bread shop recommended because we’re a family of 5. Mum had a Panasonic and it was very good as well.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 21 October 2019 - 07:50 AM.

#19 spr_maiden

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 20 October 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Can you not make the dough in the thermie?

I honestly don’t think you need (knead?? Hahaha) one.

My mum uses one most days and has for over 10 years. She recently started cooking the bread in the oven so only uses the bread maker for kneading and proving.

She has an amazing tin she uses for the oven I can find out the name of.

I'd love the tin details please.

#20 FeralZombieMum

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 21 October 2019 - 04:36 AM, said:

but with the baby twins next year I won't be setting foot in there, it'll be all online.

Oh with twins - definitely get a bread maker, as you can set and forget!

When looking at breadmakers, see how easy it is to get replacement parts. I haven't used mine for years, as one of my DD's is coeliac and sensitive to even airborne flour. I now have a much larger kitchen, and a great laundry - so I could get back into making bread without making my coeliac DD sick.

One of the issues with my breadmaker, is there is a ceramic part that used to crack. I have had to replace it a few times and last time it was hard to source online.

#21 hills mum bec

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:55 AM

We love our breadmaker and it gets used a lot.  Recently replaced our 20 year old model with the equivalent current model.  https://www.thegoodg...maker-bbm100wht

We make at least one loaf a week and I use it a lot to make dough for bread rolls and pizza dough.  On the weekends we might make a flavoured type of bread in it.

I also have a fake thermie and it is nowhere near to the task of making as much dough as our breadmaker does.  When I do make dough in it you can hear the motor strain and it doesn't mix as well as the breadmaker.

Our model is one of the cheaper ones on the market but it does everything we need it to do and the bread always comes out perfect.  The more expensive models have a dispenser that automatically adds the extra ingredients halfway through (things like nuts, cheese, herbs you add halfway through, not at the beginning) so that would be convenient if you are wanting to set your machine to make those type of breads overnight or when you are at work but we just save those type of recipes for the weekend when we are around to add the extras when it beeps.

#22 gracie1978

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

Thank you that breville one looks great :)

#23 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Im interested too but its the slicing that's the issue.  how do folk slice it?

I have a kitchenaid and I do use the dough hook all the time to make various breads. I do Naan and flatbread a lot which we make on the bbq.

#24 hills mum bec

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

WannabeMasterchef, on 21 October 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

Im interested too but its the slicing that's the issue.  how do folk slice it?

With a good bread knife and a slicing guide like this:

https://www.thegoodg...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#25 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

hills mum bec, on 21 October 2019 - 02:33 PM, said:

With a good bread knife and a slicing guide like this:

https://www.thegoodg...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks I shall have to get one and try it next time I bake a loaf in the oven. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.