Do you do Halloween?

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#1 Aughra

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Just curious how many families embrace Halloween?

I'd never done it before, but we moved to a new town last year and decided to join in.

It was quite fun dressing up and handing out lollies to the local kids.

I'm still not sure on all the etiquette though.  I let the kids choose their own lollies last year but a few grabbed handfuls!  Are you supposed to hand them out to them?  I also had door knockers after we'd taken down our decorations and turned out the porch lights (we'd run out of lollies).

What are your best Halloween tips?

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

No. I'm not interested and I don't think my children need any more lollies.

Edited by eachschoolholidays, 20 October 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

Hell yer... best day of the year.

We have the costumes planned out. The lollies are purchased. The decorations are ready.

Bring it on :)

#4 Elly_Bells

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

We don't either. I don't like the idea of children begging from door to door for lollies (which they don't need) and all the fear and horror is off-putting too. Despite the lack of decorations at our house we still get group after group knocking.

#5 Jane Jetson

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

The kids have gotten into it, the last couple of years. There are a few streets in Canberra which seem to embrace it.

As a result, we also registered with the Canberra Halloween Facebook network and I handed out candy last year, and plan to again this year. It's quite fun really. There's always a sh*t tonne of leftover lollies from DD2's late October birthday so it works out quite well.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

We don’t do it. I hate talking to strangers, and begging strangers for lollies is just weird to me.
But DS is excited about it, he loves to dress up.

Any ideas how I can put up the “no trick or treaters here” sign without DS realising what’s happened?
I could just lie and say Halloween was last week or something, I guess, but he will see the other kids walking the streets.

#7 Black Velvet

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

No I hate it. It's massive around here, literally groups of people knocking for hours.

I don't care if other people wish to celebrate, they can knock themselves out
I'm an introvert and just don't want to be disturbed in my own home.

#8 andyk

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

I walk the kids around 3 blocks in the neighbourhood. They wear costumes. Most of the neighbours will put a sign on the letterbox if they are participating which is great for not bothering those who aren’t interested.

#9 Sweet.Pea

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

I put a sign up - no Halloween. It was respected last year.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

I'm a convert after loathing it for years.

I didn't realise a few years ago that kids were being told to only go to houses with invites, and as a result got zero kids coming in, despite them being in the street.

Had no problem with kids being greedy. Some have gone to an amazing amount of effort with their costumes.  Have met a few very funny kids.  All in groups, or with parent at the gate.

I used to loathe the whole heaps of lollies stuff until I realised one year just how many people were getting out on the street and engaging with others.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Ourselves no? I am not against it so if there is an event to go to DS can go  personally though we do nothing

#12 luke's mummu

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

No I hate it. Too much damage to property around here done in the name of “ fun”. My advice would be if/when you don’t want any more visitors, put a note on your letterbox saying no visitors please. A porch light on/off doesn’t seem to mean anything in my street

#13 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

We have a couple of parties to go to, and a dress up for our sports club. We do some spooky baking.  But we dont personally trick or treat, and nobody ever comes trick or treating to our house as we have a front gate.

#14 Aughra

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 20 October 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

We don’t do it. I hate talking to strangers, and begging strangers for lollies is just weird to me.
But DS is excited about it, he loves to dress up.

Any ideas how I can put up the “no trick or treaters here” sign without DS realising what’s happened?
I could just lie and say Halloween was last week or something, I guess, but he will see the other kids walking the streets.

My understanding is that if you're giving out candy you put some decorations out to show that you're participating.  If your lights are off and you have no decorations people shouldn't be knocking.

Our small town has a FB group where people put their address and the times they'll be 'operating' and someone makes up a google map for the kids to follow.  It seemed to work well last year.  We just had a few late knockers.

#15 TrixieBelden

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

We don’t dress up but we always have lollies. Some years people knock and some years they don’t.

I find some costumes really upsetting - ones that depict injuries or corpses - so I stay at home but I’m happy to give you a mini twix if you knock on the door.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

We have a trunk n treat party at church and I’ve only missed it once in a decade. It’s good fun.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 20 October 2019 - 10:46 PM.

#17 rabbit hyde

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

We love it in my our household.  I've literally just finished decorating the house.

It's really big in our area and it's actually been a great way to meet the people on our street.  There's also quite a lot of elderly people in our area and its really heartwarming to see them out on their front lawns with all the kids.

We usually have a letter drop with a balloons that asks people to either decorate or simply put the Ballon out if you'd like to participate.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

yes we do...our neighbourhood is hugely into it. if we didn’t have kids we wouldn’t..but we wouldn’t be grinch-y about it...we’d have lollies to hand out, but probably wouldn’t get into dressups and decorations...

#19 No Drama Please

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

We absolutely love Halloween. Our neighbourhood goes all out. Heaps of houses decked out, people get dressed up, drag rugs and chairs out, sit outside, have drinks and nibbles. We just take a few extra bags of treats to top up when people run out.

The kids all know each other anyway so it’s basically just walking round to friends or neighbours houses. You’re always running into people that you know. Trying to figure out who is who under their costume.

After we head back home, have pizza, watch a “scary” movie, then raid the kids lollies after they’ve gone to bed. It’s a lot of fun!

#20 Riotproof

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

We only give lollies and have a few decorations out. I don’t send ds out and they don’t overly dress up. I did buy some lollies today, suspect I need more tbh.

#21 Chchgirl

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

We never did, not many did.

I'll buy some stuff for anyone who might come to the door, then eat the rest or all of it myself 😁

#22 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:08 PM

No. And I put a sign up, because I don't want to have to be the Halloween Grinch. I am happy for others to do it, but I am not going to specifically buy crap to feed other people's kids, and I like my home life to be very uninterrupted.

#23 dadwasathome

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

We do a Halloween themed celebration as a neighbourhood gathering. On the nearest Saturday before the 31st - aint got no time for a big gathering mid-week.

If started with neighbours with US relatives, and I was quite anti, but I’ve softened over the years. That said, we’ve organised it for 5 or 6 years so this may be our last for the fancy dress - happy to host the bbq

#24 seayork2002

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

Growing up in Sydney  the only time I ever heard a mention of Halloween was US sitcoms/movies no mention at school or in the streets which is I guess why I am not bothered at all.

I am sure others in Australia had it growing up but I didn't in the 1980s

#25 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 20 October 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

Growing up in Sydney  the only time I ever heard a mention of Halloween was US sitcoms/movies no mention at school or in the streets which is I guess why I am not bothered at all.

I am sure others in Australia had it growing up but I didn't in the 1980s

no - i didn’t growing up in the 1980’s either SY...only read it about it in Judy Blume books!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.