Dog barking annoying neighbours

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

We live on acreage, and have an enclosed yard round the house. During the night, we keep the dog in this yard. The neighbours (also on acreage) are approx 120m away from this year.  

Lately our dog has been barking at night as there are plovers in the area. He hears the plovers calling out and he barks at them. Not all night though. And not constantly.

2 nights ago the neighbour sent my dh an angry message about our dog barking allegedly all night. (Dh isn’t home). I was asleep in my room with window open which opens onto the yard the dog is in and didn’t hear anything.

Last night I was more aware and thus didn’t sleep deeply. I heard him bark once for about 1 minute in response to the plover, and I called him over and reassured him and he stopped. Then once several hours later when the neighbours rooster crowed He again barked at the rooster. We also have a rooster but he doesn’t seem to bark at ours, only theirs.

I’ve no doubt they would have put in a complaint. Dh is in a flap about it. I feel they are being unreasonable as it’s not constant barking, we can’t help that the plovers are setting him off, and also they are so far away how can it possibly bother them?  They have a dog too that barks constantly when they aren’t home and I can hear it if I pay attention but it’s not loud enough to bother me.  

Is barking a couple times during the night considered a problem? I feel like it’s normal behaviour.

#2 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

I should also add - I set my phone to record and I found one more instance of barking last night that didn’t wake me. He again barked at a plover about 1.5 hours after the first time and then stopped on his own after about 1min. Not constant either. Like plover call him woof woof woof then plover call then him again. So it isn’t just because I woke up and stopped him when I didn’t wake he stopped on his own

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

One minute constant barking in the middle of the night would be a looooong time to me! Can you move the dog to a smaller area or the laundry so he doesn’t hear/ see as much??

#4 gettin my fance on

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

1 minute of barking in the middle of the night feels like an eternity.

#5 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

Wasn’t constant barking. Like from when he started to when he stopped was 1min.

He’s in a small area of yard already. As I said 120m, or more than the length of football field away from the neighbours. He is a stock guardian dog so he can’t be inside. They fret when they are inside. He doesn’t even come onto the patio preferring to be out on the grass.

#6 Ayr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

Well barking occasionally is normal behaviour. We keep ours inside at night so they don't bark at random night animals. It would annoy me as much as anyone else. I'd never get a dog to leave it outside at night. They bark at night.

Our neighbours opposite us clearly don't feel the same way. That dog they have might bark twice through the night or 50 times. But it only takes once to wake us then we are the ones trying to get back to sleep. Would never complain though, the owner is a council member anyway so doubt it would help. But it's very inconsiderate. Day time it barks, it's annoying, but doesn't wake me. Night time is just unfair. I don't allow mine to do it.

View Postgettin my fance on, on 19 October 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

1 minute of barking in the middle of the night feels like an eternity.

One bark is enough when it wakes other people. I can't see how it's hard to keep them in at night.

If they can't be kept inside then neighbour complaints have to be copped if they come. It's always less of an interruption to the owner than others.

Edited by Ayr, 19 October 2019 - 07:34 PM.

#7 gettin my fance on

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 October 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

Wasn’t constant barking. Like from when he started to when he stopped was 1min.

As someone who had late night/wee hours of the morning barkers next door to me - it doesn't matter that it was not constant.

woof -woof- woof
you wake up.  

Silence                            
you start to relax

woof-woof
your body startles

Silence
you start to relax

woof-woof-woof
you want to kill someone or  something.

Silence at last

And a few hours later...

it starts all over again.

#8 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostAyr, on 19 October 2019 - 07:30 PM, said:

Well barking occasionally is normal behaviour. We keep ours inside at night so they don't bark at random night animals. It would annoy me as much as anyone else. I'd never get a dog to leave it outside at night. They bark at night.

Our neighbours opposite us clearly don't feel the same way. That dog they have might bark twice through the night or 50 times. But it only takes once to wake us then we are the ones trying to get back to sleep. Would never complain though, the owner is a council member anyway so doubt it would help. But it's very inconsiderate. Day time it barks, it's annoying, but doesn't wake me. Night time is just unfair. I don't allow mine to do it.

One bark is enough when it wakes other people. I can't see how it's hard to keep them in at night.

He is a stock guardian dog. They fret being inside. We have wild dogs in the area that also bark at night. And hence why we need him to be here and be outside.

Are you on acreage though? Cause the comparison would not be the house across the street. It would be the house 5 or 6 blocks away.

#9 Ayr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

View Postgettin my fance on, on 19 October 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

As someone who had late night/wee hours of the morning barkers next door to me - it doesn't matter that it was not constant.

woof -woof- woof
you wake up.  

Silence                            
you start to relax

woof-woof
your body startles

Silence
you start to relax

woof-woof-woof
you want to kill someone or  something.

Silence at last

And a few hours later...

it starts all over again.

Yep it's inconsiderate and annoying. Owners downplay their dogs barking alot. If it annoys people and you don't make changes they will complain. There is no alternative. Regardless if you think it's unreasonable or not.

#10 Ayr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 October 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

He is a stock guardian dog. They fret being inside. We have wild dogs in the area that also bark at night. And hence why we need him to be here and be outside.

Are you on acreage though? Cause the comparison would not be the house across the street. It would be the house 5 or 6 blocks away.

That's all good but if it annoys neighbours then they are well within their rights to complain. I see none of that as a reason for them to put up with it. If I am woken every night by a dog barking even twice through the night then I won't be happy. Don't care what kind of dog it is that's not my problem it's yours and you don't sound wiling to make any attempts to fix it.

But I get from the OP they haven't complained yet. So I wouldn't worry about it unless they do. But they have every right to if it annoys them. I prefer to keep the peace. So when I didn't get any sleep the other night and then when I finally did this dog woke me and barked for around 3 mins causing me to get no sleep after that, I did not complain and I won't. I will allow it to continue to ruin my sleep and stress and stew on it myself.

Edited by Ayr, 19 October 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

I’m very sensitive to noise and dogs barking are the worst. As PP has said, you hear it once, you get on edge, then you can’t get back to sleep cause you’re waiting for that next bark, never knowing when it will happen.  And certain dogs have barks that travel, further and louder than you might think.

Just keep your dog inside at night. Simple.

#12 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

I guess my question is really, is it reasonable for them to be complaining from such a long way away.

I feel it’s not. As I said it’s a long way. A football field length. I guess most people’s experiences are with neighbours close to them.  We are allowed here to keep a rooster for example which would drive most people nuts. We have a rooster and so do they. Their rooster crows earlier than ours, starts about 330am. It’s also rural so there is lots of noises at night. Not just various peoples roosters, but horses, wild dogs get into fights, thousands of cockatoos that get startled by a goanna and take off from their roost in the middle of the night.

It’s far from silent round here.

#13 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

He’s also barking at the plovers call which is quite loud and noisy itself. Last night I was woken not by him but by the plovers initially.

And it’s not like woof silence

It’s like plover plover plover woof woof plover plover plover ect.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 October 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

I guess my question is really, is it reasonable for them to be complaining from such a long way away.

I feel it’s not. As I said it’s a long way. A football field length. I guess most people’s experiences are with neighbours close to them.  We are allowed here to keep a rooster for example which would drive most people nuts. We have a rooster and so do they. Their rooster crows earlier than ours, starts about 330am. It’s also rural so there is lots of noises at night. Not just various peoples roosters, but horses, wild dogs get into fights, thousands of cockatoos that get startled by a goanna and take off from their roost in the middle of the night.

Could it be the tone of the noise though? A large dog’s deep bark can travel a lot further, and penetrate rooms more, than a high pitched noise like a bird noise or a smaller dog.

The rooster though, that would kill me. But no doubt they are use to their own rooster, much like you sleep through your own dog’s barking.

#15 Ayr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

Its reasonable for anyone to complain about noises that annoy them at any time of day. Whether action can be taken or not is another story but no one can tell them what annoys them or causes disruption to their evening. Only they can say how something makes them feel. So it's reasonable for them to complain, but I'm not sure if action could be taken under the circumstances.

We get bird noises during the day and bat screeches at night but only dogs seem to have the ability to create the kind of noise that breaks through everything. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. They all have the right to complain if it's annoying enough to them.

Edited by Ayr, 19 October 2019 - 07:49 PM.

#16 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 19 October 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

I’m very sensitive to noise and dogs barking are the worst. As PP has said, you hear it once, you get on edge, then you can’t get back to sleep cause you’re waiting for that next bark, never knowing when it will happen.  And certain dogs have barks that travel, further and louder than you might think.

Just keep your dog inside at night. Simple.

He can’t be inside. He’s was born on a farm and has never spent a day of him life inside a house. He would fret if he was separated that far away from his stock he is guarding. He is already on the other side of the fence to them at night in the house yard. He’s not a house dog/pet he is a working dog.

#17 gettin my fance on

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 October 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

If you're living on acreage, I will hazard a guess that there is not a lot of bricks and mortar between the dog and your neighbours to help absorb sound.

Nor would I expect a lot of background noise, traffic etc - just that wonderful silence of rural nights - until a dog starts barking.

#18 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

When we moved in not long after they got their rooster. Which used to wake me up every night. And that is worse than a dog barking. And it really is like crow silence waiting for the next crow.  I eventually got used to it. We hatched out some chicks and got a rooster and figured we may as well keep it seeing as we get woken up by rooster crows anyway then we can hatch out some more chicks.

#19 ~Bob~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

I think it is. Sometimes noises travelling over land can echo, so it’s not a lesser noise than a closer neighbour.

The thing is, your dog obviously woke them, or they wouldn’t have heard it to send you the message. So yes, they have a right to complain. As others have said, it’s about waking them up. Many people don’t get back to sleep quickly and it would be VERY annoying to nod back off, only to have him bark and wake you up again.

#20 newmumandexcited

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

Yes I believe it is fair

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 19 October 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

He can’t be inside. He’s was born on a farm and has never spent a day of him life inside a house. He would fret if he was separated that far away from his stock he is guarding. He is already on the other side of the fence to them at night in the house yard. He’s not a house dog/pet he is a working dog.

Maybe offer to double glaze your neighbours windows then?

#22 Ozquoll

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Roosters are diabolical 😠. I'm convinced they never sleep, nor shut up.

Re the dog noise - I'm usually the first to say that barking dogs are awful and should be stopped, but given what you've described I think it's possible your neighbour is overreacting. If they have made a noise complaint, perhaps invite them to take a decibel reading of the noise next time they hear your dogs.

#23 Let-it-go

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Omg.....why ask the question, if you don’t want to hear other opinions other than your own?!

Yes, a barking dog at night disturbing/waking a neighbour is a problem.  It’s waking them up.  Stop the dog barking somehow.  It’s not ok for your dog to wake people in the night whether you’re on acerage or not.

Edited by Let-it-go, 19 October 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#24 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

View Postgettin my fance on, on 19 October 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

If you're living on acreage, I will hazard a guess that there is not a lot of bricks and mortar between the dog and your neighbours to help absorb sound.

Nor would I expect a lot of background noise, traffic etc - just that wonderful silence of rural nights - until a dog starts barking.

Lots and lots of trees. Can’t even see their house.

And anyone that thinks being on acreage is quiet at night has no idea. Wild dogs barking and fighting, foxes, cockatoos, owls, flocks of noisy fruit bats and cockatoos. Roosters crowing. There are other dogs in the area that bark too especially when the wild dogs up the back start. Our dog won’t bark at them though.

View Postgettin my fance on, on 19 October 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Lots and lots of trees. Can’t even see their house.

And anyone that thinks being on acreage is quiet at night has no idea. Wild dogs barking and fighting, foxes, cockatoos, owls, flocks of noisy fruit bats and cockatoos. Roosters crowing. There are other dogs in the area that bark too especially when the wild dogs up the back start. Our dog won’t bark at them though.

#25 knottygirl

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 19 October 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

Omg.....why ask the question, if you don’t want to hear other opinions other than your own?!

Yes, a barking dog at night disturbing/waking a neighbour is a problem.  It’s waking them up.  Stop the dog barking somehow.  It’s not ok for your dog to wake people in the night whether you’re on acerage or not.

I wanted to know what was considered problem barking. Like an actual definition. They are so far away I’m not even confident that they can be sure that it’s our dog as the night they said he barked all night I didn’t hear him once.

The only suggestion people have said is put the dog inside. I have said this isn’t possible. I guess people who live in suburbia don’t understand working dogs and their purpose. It’s not a little poodle we are taking about.  

I was to know what the amount of time a dog can bark for or the decibel of noise that you have to hear from your house for it to be considered nuisance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.