Christmas shopping “where can I find this?”

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Hands Up

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

I remember last year there was a thread where people would ask questions about where to find certain things for friends and families, and product recommendations. It was so helpful so I thought I’d see if we could start it again?

My questions are:

1) do LEGO kits exist that just contain useful pieces such as doors, windows and roof pieces, or wheels and car pieces?
2) has anyone got a shock proof (ie can be dropped) digital camera recommendation for a five year old?

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

Windows, doors and roofs. - https://www.teaching...product/LEG9386

Wheels - https://www.fishpond...AiABEgJJWPD_BwE

#3 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Target, Kmart and Big W carry the Lego pieces kits. Look for the yellow coloured boxes next to the base plates, lego head stirage containers. You can also use online Lego resellers Bricklink for specific parts.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

There are some basic lego sets that have doors or wheels.
https://www.toyworld...reativity-11004
https://www.target.c...-1-715/61520424

I bought my kids a cheap waterproof digital camera from target, it was crap. But, there are better ones. Like a go-pro type thing. Definitely kid proof. Look for the action cameras for sports. Most do video and still shots.

#5 Crombek

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Dds2 received this for his 5th birthday. It has been dropped so many times & doesn’t have a scratch on it

https://www.officewo...blue-niw150blue

#6 laridae

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

I've got Olympus tough camera. Shock proof and waterproof. That would be suitable,though they aren't  cheap.

#7 kimasa

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

PSA to anyone else with an LOL obsessed kid. the OMG dolls are limited release and season 1 seems to only have Lady Divas left in stores as she was the least popular, which I only learned this week and after a mad hunt I managed to find a lone Royal Bee (which is the one my daughter really wants) in a water damaged box in a small independent toystore and the guy tried to talk me out of buying it because "It's not worth anything because the box isn't in mint condition, you won't be able to resell it for hundreds!"

I managed to convince him that my kid really does just want to play with the doll, but he still wrote "Customer is aware box is not in mint condition" on the bottom of my receipt.

I did not realise LOLs were considered collectables.

#8 Serenity Now

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

Another vote for the Nikon coolpix - DD9’s has lasted really well, and we will be getting DS one for his 7th birthday.

#9 Warey2

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Yep, another vote for coolpix. We have used our kids’ ones for lots of underwater wildlife photos...while the photos probably weren’t great, we were on a snorkeling trip in Africa recently and our guide took the camera and took some AMAZING photos, and we realised it wasn’t so much the camera, but the photographers to blame for the (lack of) quality.

#10 spr_maiden

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

Re Lego pieces,  google brickresales and see if that's what you're after.  Not sure if you're in Qld but they do online sales also I believe.

#11 Mooples

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

I’m looking for hulk toys for a 4 year old, apparently difficult to find in stores.

Also looking for a new water table. We had a little tikes one that broke. It was from toys r us. Not really sure where to buy from now. I want something with lots of ‘activities’ things that spin, squirt, slide etc. and won’t fall apart after a couple of months.

#12 Hands Up

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

Moopless our $24 Kmart one lasted years!

Edited by Hands Up, 20 October 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#13 spr_maiden

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

https://www.babybunt...66#.XavEq1OuadM

We had this one,  and it lasted ~4 years. Think it got wrecked in a move,  but would have lasted more if not for that.

Otherwise you could do a mud kitchen type thing if your style.

#14 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

A STEM kit subscription service that’s Australian based.
I came across KiwiCo but I’d like to lean towards Australian where possible.

#15 Didi T

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

I don't want to use wrapping paper that just ends up in landfill. Does anyone know where I can get good quality sacks for individual presents that can be re-used year on year?

#16 Sentient Puddle

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

View PostHands Up, on 19 October 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

I remember last year there was a thread where people would ask questions about where to find certain things for friends and families, and product recommendations. It was so helpful so I thought I’d see if we could start it again?

My questions are:

1) do LEGO kits exist that just contain useful pieces such as doors, windows and roof pieces, or wheels and car pieces?
2) has anyone got a shock proof (ie can be dropped) digital camera recommendation for a five year old?

I just joined Costco and they had their catalogue (or coupons or whatever they are) and they had a gopro type camera advertised currently.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostDidi T, on 31 October 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

I don't want to use wrapping paper that just ends up in landfill. Does anyone know where I can get good quality sacks for individual presents that can be re-used year on year?

If you can sew, you can probably make them easily enough.

I searched reusable cloth gift bags and got a lot of hits. Also if you have lots of fabric, you can do the Japanese way where they kind of tie it up like a parcel.

Actually, I might just do that for our family this year.

#18 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

I was thinking of just buying some Christmas type fabric and using that for the girls presents this year. They will love it. Plus I am getting some coloured elastic on a roll for tying it. It looks like hat elastic and DD uses it for hair/headbands when needed.

#19 MsLaurie

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

“Provincial Living” (at quite a few major shopping centres) has a gorgeous range of sacks in different sizes and colours. I just bought a large one with a Christmas tree pattern in bright pastels, they also had red themes and blue/green themes, maybe also a gold version.

Edited by MsLaurie, 31 October 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#20 mayahlb

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

A friend of ours just uses lengths of fabric and refuses then for birthday and Christmas every year. I’ve got a heap of rolls of wrapping paper and once I’ve finished this is what I plan to use.

I’d also be interested in a STEM based kit that was Australian based. We’ve had the kiwico crates but we have had so many issues this year with crates disappearing or not being sent that I’m not renewing it.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

We had the kiwico crates for about 6 boxes but stopped it as was great to build then it just sat around doing nothing so was expensive for a 'build and forget item' (other kids may play with them again but DS didn't)

We tried one called 'brick loot' from memory but was a very expensive USA one for what you got and we should have guessed but not actual lego.

#22 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

I got personalised ptinted Santa sacks from www.spatz.com.au. I notice they now have giant ones.
My mum still has the pillowcases I used as a child which we decorated with fabric paint pens.

#23 ainira

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

I had custom Santa sacks made by Crimson gifts and they are excellent quality. The giant ones are really giant though!

https://bjarneoworks...by-hoot-designz

#24 Threetwoone

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

I've bought sacks from kmart plus tote bag style ones and also christmas themed shopping bags. There is plenty around, it just depends on your style. I've even thought of Christmas themed pillowcases.

#25 DM. 2012

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

If you have a LEGO shop near you they might have doors and windows in their brick wall.  The shop near us (Westfield Chermside) currently has doors and windows.  You can fill a large cup for $30.  Doors and windows will leave lots of empty space in the cup but there are plenty of little things in the wall to fill the gaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.