Pop Vinyls

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 More cheese Gromit

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

I found a Harry Potter Pop at the op shop a few years ago , { $2 for a Dumbledore} I bought it and put it in the cupboard with other random things I think my DS will like one day

Fast forward and I gave it to my son a few weeks ago not knowing anything about Pop vinyls

Do people ‘play’ with pops or just keep them to look at?

I think I might have started something regrettable.. 3 more pops have made a home in our house thanks to Eb games having a buy three for the price of two and the two were $9 each

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:13 PM

a few of the younger lawyers where i work have them on their desks ...like ornaments i suppose. DS has a few...he hasn’t  even taken his out of the box..they sit pride of place on his bedroom shelf...

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

They are collectables..

No one I knows plays with them

#4 123tree

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

My kids do play with them but the bits break off pretty easily. Like items they are holding in their hands or little bits that poke out.  

I believe they are supposed to be purely ornamental.  You can buy clear acetate boxes to put them in because the original boxes obscure them so much.

#5 onetrick

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

I have some on my desk at work cause they make me smile and humanize me to the students I talk to and make good conversation starters :) I dont play with them, but dont keep them in their boxes either...

#6 kimasa

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:30 PM

My kid definitely plays with hers.

Mine are car decorations. DH's are clutter inside a box.

#7 More cheese Gromit

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

So far Ds has had a bit of a play and put them back in the box
But he’s keen for me for Christmas, are there usually some sort of sales for them?

#8 BeAwesome

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

We collect them, and display them.

DD11 has around 20 relating to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  She also just got Brendon Urie for her birthday.

DD7 has Ladybug and Cat Noir, and some Sailor Moon ones, and some Pokemon ones.

I have a few from Stranger Things and other randoms, and DH has a few random ones as well.  The Stranger Things ones are in our liviing room, and the other randoms are on display on the picture rails in our bedroom.  DDs keep theirs on desks/bookshelves.

#9 Ayr

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

Ours are all displayed in their original boxes around the house... We have hundreds.

My youngest is 8, she opens hers and plays with them.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

We have 1 or 2 that are played with, rest are in their boxes displayed around the house.

#11 BadCat

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

I'm about to put up shelves in my loungeroom to display them.

The shelves are clear and I will be putting a clear cover over the top to protect them from dust and cats.

They are definitely collectible.  They sell for $15 - $20 new.  I have one that often sells for around $150 on ebay.

#12 ~J_F~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostMore cheese Gromit, on 18 October 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

So far Ds has had a bit of a play and put them back in the box
But he’s keen for me for Christmas, are there usually some sort of sales for them?

3 for the price of 2 is the best I have found but EB games often doesn’t have a lot of the ones my kids (and I) want, so I google to find the best prices.

#13 BadCat

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

Gumtree often has collections for sale and most will sell individually.  They've often been kept in their boxes so it's like buying new.

#14 AprilEthereal

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

I'm weird. I had to google what they were. Now I know. One of my son's has one or two.  My nephew is a big collector. I instead have a modest collection of vintage dolls. Two of my favourite dolls I have are a 1965 Ideal Bewitched Samantha doll near mint which I bought from the US approx 15 years ago. She sits pride of place on my mantle above the fire. The second favourite is my 1970s Disco dancing  Andy Gibb doll which I bought myself when I was in Seattle a decade ago. He is mint in the box. Sits on my Buffet.

Edited by AprilEthereal, 18 October 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#15 More cheese Gromit

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

im Checking gumtree now ... some of the prices :0

#16 Black Velvet

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:11 PM

My 24 yr old son has a huge collection and keeps them in their boxes. He generally buys the Chase ones (rarer variant).

At one point he was selling them and we would have people coming to the house to buy them. I told him the neighbours must have thought we were doing something dodgy when random cars would come up to our house and leave again after a few minutes. :laugh:

#17 More cheese Gromit

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:33 PM

Googling tells me that thes Pop vinyls are a job for some people

#18 Mollycoddle

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

If you asked me what I'd consider to be the biggest waste of a dollar ever I would say these things. But then I'm the Anti-Hoarder and that goes for collectables as much as it does for clutter.

However if I were into collecting I wouldn't go for mass-produced brand new crap like pop vinyls, I'd go for stuff with actual value such as old Star Wars figurines. My son has 3 Gremlins figurines I got a few years ago from overseas on EBay, they were by no means cheap (think $100+ each) but we got them out of the box to play with. Both kids got a Care Bear when babies, these are still in the boxes and I've repossessed them.

I find it weird that these days toys are marketed and people buy them with the sole purpose of display, never taking out of the box. Way back when, they were just toys to play with. And there's no point in saying X is worth Y amount of money if you have no intention of ever selling it.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 18 October 2019 - 11:15 PM.

#19 BadCat

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 18 October 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

However if I were into collecting I wouldn't go for mass-produced brand new crap like pop vinyls, I'd go for stuff with actual value such as old Star Wars figurines.

Old Star Wars figurines were once brand new crap.

Collectibles don't always start out as collectibles.

#20 Ayr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 18 October 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

If you asked me what I'd consider to be the biggest waste of a dollar ever I would say these things. But then I'm the Anti-Hoarder and that goes for collectables as much as it does for clutter.

However if I were into collecting I wouldn't go for mass-produced brand new crap like pop vinyls, I'd go for stuff with actual value such as old Star Wars figurines. My son has 3 Gremlins figurines I got a few years ago from overseas on EBay, they were by no means cheap (think $100+ each) but we got them out of the box to play with. Both kids got a Care Bear when babies, these are still in the boxes and I've repossessed them.

I find it weird that these days toys are marketed and people buy them with the sole purpose of display, never taking out of the box. Way back when, they were just toys to play with. And there's no point in saying X is worth Y amount of money if you have no intention of ever selling it.

Retired ones that weren't "mass produced" are worth alot. Some people just like them. I find it odd when someone doesn't like a certain thing it's the biggest waste of money... I'm sure you have hobbies or things others would say the same of if they were rude enough to or cared what you did with your money.

Some my husband has are worth $500+ now. He isn't intending to sell them at the moment but it's an option if needed.

Edited by Ayr, 19 October 2019 - 07:50 AM.

#21 More cheese Gromit

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

We’ve added a couple more to the collection today, they’ve come out of the box for a bit of a play and are now in the boxes again

I have no problem with him playing with them, but they are easier to store in the boxes

We have shelving near the ceiling around the walls in his bedroom that are the perfect size and depth for the standard boxes

#22 kimasa

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostBadCat, on 19 October 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

Collectibles don't always start out as collectibles.

On that note, search ebay for "Spice Girls Chupa Chups". There's clearly a couple of placeholder listings in there, but you're looking at $15-$50 for A LOLLIPOP depending on which Spice Girl is on the packet.

To think of the number of those that I ate as a kid...

#23 BadCat

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:33 AM

Th burning question is, how much am I going to give in and pay for the only Gerard Way pop I don't have yet?  Cheapest I can find is $68 and that's without the box.  Going to be around $100 with the box.

#24 Holly298

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

My DS (9) has about 50 ( has been collecting for a few years and just got 9 for  his birthday from various friends/relatives -) he still plays with them , rips them straight out of the box , boxes going into recycling (I remember once the guy at the Zing shop had a heart attach when DS ripped open the box when he bought one once and said oh you really should let him take them out of the box!) my nephew stayed over last night and I could hear them playing with a few of the new ones (just like playing with action figures)

#25 BadCat

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

I'm right in the middle of putting up shelves for mine.  Taking a break at the moment.  Once those shelves are up, the unboxing begins.  But I will save the boxes in case I want to sell them one day.

I've got 5 in a package I haven't opened yet, and will get another 10 in a package soon.  I'm going to put them under the christmas tree for myself.  And I will be super surprised to get a set of Mad Men pops and a set of Umbrella Academy pops from Santa.  Santa is the bomb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.