7.30 expose on racing industry *trigger warning*

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Anyone watching this?

Racehorses being slaughtered.

Spring racing carnival is coming. I won’t be betting any money, I won’t be in any sweep. I won’t be supporting animal cruelty.

Not any more

#2 seayork2002

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

But it is nothing new

(And no I am not excusing it)

#3 Lunafreya

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

https://abc.net.au/n...688?pfmredir=sm

They said it would stop though, they said they’d retire more horses.

#4 purplekitty

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

Nobody wants to know.

Just like they avert their eyes away from the disgusting,inhumane Live Export industry.

The government juts waits out the initial outrage and continues on ignoring and suppressing the facts.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

yes - i watched it. really awful. it’s a cruel industry. i wonder if the gloss is coming off the racing industry, albeit just a little bit? tiny steps?  maybe not, maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part....i dunno...past three or so years Spring Carnival hasn’t seemed to have had the same hype...(i know it’s still raking in millions)

#6 PurpleWitch

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

I cant watch it. I have a greyhound and it breaks my heart.

I didn't have any idea of the industry until this year. I don't know, I wish I didnt :(

#7 Lunafreya

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:49 PM

They could make it less cruel even if they stopped overbreeding at studs

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:58 PM

yes,  I think that’s the key LF...they’re  breeding more horses than they need ....due to greed.

#9 RabbitHash

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

I have always loathed horse racing. This just confirms what I have always felt.
I can't watch it, I will find it too upsetting. I certainly hope the shine is coming off the industry. I hope they get charged with animal cruelty and lose millions of dollars.

#10 MissBehaving

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Is the problem just with the cruelty in the knackeries or would it be just as much an issue if they were perfectly humane and there was just as many racers ending up there?

#11 Lunafreya

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

They called one owner on the program asked him if he knew his horse had been sent to the knackery. He was shocked

I think the cruelty and the scale is just shocking. Horses that bring in thousands and then just cruelly discarded.

Think about that during the spring carnival this year, they said some horses go straight from the race track to the knackery

#12 NeedSleepNow

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:40 AM

I’d like to think more people will boycott the races this year, and stop fuelling this terrible cruelty....but I doubt it :(

#13 annodam

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

All the people whom I know still continue going to the races.  No one cares!
They started last week with Guinness Day & they will continue to attend all racing carnivals in Melbourne.
I also gave a friend who co-owns a Pacer & recently won best 2yo of the year at Crown.
It ain’t gonna stop, there’s too much money involved.

#14 marple

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

I can't even understand the motivation. They mentioned a horse ( Prince something) who was bought on;y 3 years ago for $400 000. Got sold for $350 to a slaughterhouse.
Surely that horse could have been sold on for other work. How does that even begin to make sense financially?

Poor horsies. They just need to stop breeding so damn many.

#15 annodam

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

That's the thing, Thoroughbreds are bred specifically for racing, they can't do anything else (that's the excuse they're using anyway).
Similar to Pacers & Trotters.

Look I don't know, I think it's similar to dog/cat breeding.
Why add more animals into the mix just for show when there are Shelters full of animals requiring homes?

Oh, oh I own a Grand Champion dog!
Who the fk cares?  Like seriously?

#16 71Cath

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostRabbitHash, on 18 October 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have always loathed horse racing. This just confirms what I have always felt.
I can't watch it, I will find it too upsetting. I certainly hope the shine is coming off the industry. I hope they get charged with animal cruelty and lose millions of dollars.

I'm the same.  It's at least 10 years since I participated in the office sweep.  The comments about not having any fun get very boring.  I don't know how anyone can support horse racing.  It's vile.

#17 rainycat

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

Most of my friends don’t support the racing industry anymore because of how cruel it is. Growing up so many of my friends owned ex racers and most were great and very much loved. I’m very glad the industry is being exposed for what it is.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

i used to work (in house legal) for a major player in the horse racing industry....I’d get members tickets and go to the races, it was quite popular - this is like, 15 years ago. but now, the thought of advocating for this industry is foreign to me, i’d no more do it now than i would for Big Tobacco.

anecdotally i have noticed a small, almost imperceptible - decline in support for the industry. maybe only over the last few years.....after those few racehorses were shot after the melbourne cup races...and now this footage.  i’m in sydney but melbourne cup used to be a big deal here, offices would organise champagne lunches - all the restaurants and pubs in my local area would advertise “have your melbourne cup function here” - but over the last two or three years, that’s been in decline. we did nothing for it last year....it wasn’t even mentioned. no office sweeps, it wasn’t shown on our flat screens....no one cared.

as i wrote - this was all just something i have casually observed over the recent years...but today i saw this - an official study does indeed show that interest in racing is declining - it may be just a blip...who knows, but it’s an interesting space to watch.

http://www.roymorgan...19-201910170719

#19 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

some high profile reactions to the show - sorry my ipad is glitchy and i can’t link from twitter but prominent horse trainer Lee Freedman tweeted along the lines

“disturbing footage, if we don’t make real changes the court of public opinion will bury racing” -

so, it’s not so ingrained in the national psyche it seems - it’s not untouchable - i think people will “vote with their feet”.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

It could be in decline. Target was really big in getting race dresses in about 8 years ago. But last year and this year they have a few fascinators but hardly any of the mass of racks of dresses they used to.
I think this investigation as uncovered two issues here.
The over breeding/ out right lying the fate of the horses and the behaviour/staff at the knackers. Just what type of people are being employed, how are they being trained, why is management allowing this behavior and are the staff requiring support/ counselling about the work they do BEFORE they become the inhuman abusers shown?

#21 Crombek

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

View Postannodam, on 18 October 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

That's the thing, Thoroughbreds are bred specifically for racing, they can't do anything else (that's the excuse they're using anyway).
Similar to Pacers & Trotters

They certainly can, nearly every horsey person I know has had an off the track horse at some point in their lives. The problem is that there are just.too.many.

It’s eugenics in action. Breeding for very specific, very rare, traits & discarding the trash. They have zero value as a living being. Every track horse rehoming place I know is at capacity.

ETA: I agree it’s becoming less popular though. I don’t think the Kath & Kim episode helped 😂. Now everyone ‘classy’ goes to the polo.

Edited by Crombek, 18 October 2019 - 10:09 AM.

#22 Lunafreya

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

I used to be very into the Melbourne cup, even backed a winner. But after seeing horses killed right after the race, I just couldn't anymore.  This is the final nail in the coffin for me.

My Dad got me into it, he puts money on the cup for us every year. I've asked him not to.

Yay, he's not doing it. It's not much, but its something

Edited by Lunafreya, 18 October 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#23 kim27

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

View Postmarple, on 18 October 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

I can't even understand the motivation. They mentioned a horse ( Prince something) who was bought on;y 3 years ago for $400 000. Got sold for $350 to a slaughterhouse.
Surely that horse could have been sold on for other work. How does that even begin to make sense financially?

Poor horsies. They just need to stop breeding so damn many.

Ex racers used to be the main horses used for jumping, eventing etc. Now most in the top areas of these sports are warmbloods. On top of this, racehorses are bred with speed the top priority. That means you get retired racers with an unsuitable temperament, unsound or both that can’t be used for pleasure horses or pony club. Some genetic lines are renowned for bad legs or brains but hey, they only need to run fast for a few years so who cares.

Of course there are many wonderful thoroughbreds that make fantastic riding horses but anyone that has had any involvement in the horse world like I have won’t be surprised by this report.

#24 TheGreenSheep

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

350,000 people attended the Melbourne Cup carnival last year. The money is a massive boost for the Victorian state coffers. It is a sport that isn't going anywhere. The rise of betting apps has kept the sport rich without having to pop on a frock and attend the course.

I live in an area full of race training facilities, pony clubs, trotting parks, agistment and horsey people. Im not one of them, but I can appreciate the beauty of a horse, just not willing to invest in owning one to stand in a paddock to eat grass or ride them.

Horses are very expensive. They have a very short time for racing and breeding, but live long lives.

The drought has placed extra pressure on owners with the costs of feed.

In death theyre very expensive to deal with as theyre large bodied animals and there are very few horse crematoriums available nationally. Theyre routinely sent off to knackeries when old or injured. How they treat the animals at their end of life is a whole other issue and we have so many rules/laws/guidelines about the treatment of livestock at the abbatoirs, I am surprised that this doesn't also apply to large animals for pet food production.

#25 Lunafreya

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

I love horses, don't know how to ride but I do know owning one is an expensive commitment.

A horse is for life, just not on race day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.