Sleep evades me! Help please!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 mpoppins92

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

I’m on my fourth day of no sleep. I think I may be nodding off for small 20-30 minute bursts each night but I’m not averaging more than an hour a night and I’m up by 3am. I can tell by how often I see the time and my Fitbit.

I don’t have kids and I live alone, it is my brain keeping me awake. I cannot switch off! It’s not even stress necessarily it’s inane thinking and wondering sometimes about work, sometimes about other things. I can’t take a sleeping pill until the weekend because they leave me very groggy and I can’t work feeling that way. This has happened before but it’s normally one night, max two and then I am so exhausted sleep finally comes but this time I don’t even feel that sleepy just very absent minded.

I have tried:
- herbal sleep vitamins
- rescue remedy
- going to bed earlier
- listening to meditation (made me even more alert because I was concentrating so hard on the instructions)
- a notebook by my bed to write my thoughts into
- no screen time an hour before bed

I will give just about anything a go! So please fire any suggestions at me!

#2 SelceLisbeth

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

I go through cycles of severe insomnia like you mention. I havent found anything that helped except my body eventually giving up and I crash for a week.

What I have found that helps me is lots of self care. If I am going to be awake, then I dont want to be awake and stressed. I will watch a bit of attenborough, maybe have a shower, a warm decaf drink, maybe a foot scrub or face mask, and some night time yoga.

Sleep stories have helped me when my insomnia is mild or moderate. Has to be the right voice though. I like Stephen Fry speaking, so have some of his sleep stories.

I hope you find relief soon. Sleep deprivation is cruel and dangerous.

#3 IamzFeralz

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

I’ve just been through a lot of sleep deprivation too recently and tried all the things you mentioned. Even melatonin didn’t help.  Restavit made me feel terrible even on a quarter dose.

I started going outside in the bright sunlight more often starting off in the morning at breakfast time  and that was the one thing that seemed to work!

Hope you get more suggestions. Sleep deprivation is horrible.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

I had this when my son was first born (I know you don't have a child!) what I worked it out was for me was thinking what I had to do the next day so once I had a mental plan I managed to sleep ok.

My mind was over active.

Once I get to sleep I am fine but I have always taken ages to get to sleep that was my problem

#5 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

exercise for at least 20-30 mins (something that will bugger you out, get your heart rate up a bit), preferably outdoors. the days I exercise are the days I sleep better.

read for 30+ minutes before bed (or listen to a podcast/audiobook)

do your task list during the day as you need it, rather than trying to cram it all just before bedtime. Before bedtime (I usually do it after dinner, to give my mind enough time to process it before bed), review what you have written that day, or-organise and prioritise it for the following day (or week, whatever suits)

Aim for roughly same bedtime each day, aim for roughly the same wake-up each day too. You don't have to go to bed earlier, but it helps to maintain a similar bed routine. For DH, it means going to bed between 9:30pm-10:30pm, for me it means going to bed between 11:pm-12:am (I need less sleep than him).

No caffeine after mid-afternoon.

And I like my pillow spray. It seems to help me (but maybe that's a placebo effect!)

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 17 October 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#6 Gudrun

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Random:

Make lists well before going to bed

Lavender pillow

Radio on all night (listening to other insomniacs on talk-back for example as a distraction from your own thoughts and eventually associating radio with sleeping or at least resting instead of doing or thinking about other stuff)

#7 Ayr

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Melatonin from iherb.
If that doesn't work (doesn't work for me any more) Restavit from the chemist (or you can get bulk lots online which is what I've been doing lately).

#8 literally nobody

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:54 AM

View PostAyr, on 17 October 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

Melatonin from iherb.
If that doesn't work (doesn't work for me any more) Restavit from the chemist (or you can get bulk lots online which is what I've been doing lately).

Can i ask where you can buy restavit in bulk online? thanks :)

#9 Pocket...

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

My first stop for almost anything is getting blood tests. Many things can cause sleep problems and must are fairly easily treated.

#10 Ayr

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

View Postliterally nobody, on 17 October 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

Can i ask where you can buy restavit in bulk online? thanks :)

There's some ebay sellers who sell lots of vitamins and supplements I just search doxylamine and usually buy a brand called kirkland from a seller with high, good feedback.

Can get it in bottles of 96 tabs. I often buy 4 bottles for around $40 which is 384 tablets over the 20 for $12 at the chemist.

Edited by Ayr, 17 October 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostGudrun, on 17 October 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Make lists well before going to bed
i agree with this. Doing it just before your head hits the pillow means it was the last thing you were focussed on and your mind tends to stay locked on to that, particularly if you have a long or complicated list of things.

#12 literally nobody

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostAyr, on 17 October 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

There's some ebay sellers who sell lots of vitamins and supplements I just search doxylamine and usually buy a brand called kirkland from a seller with high, good feedback.

Can get it in bottles of 96 tabs. I often buy 4 bottles for around $40 which is 384 tables over the 20 for $12 at the chemist.

Fantastic, thanks very much.

#13 chicken_bits

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

Have you tried melatonin as opposed to sleeping tablets?

#14 chicken_bits

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

View PostAyr, on 17 October 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

Can get it in bottles of 96 tabs. I often buy 4 bottles for around $40 which is 384 tablets over the 20 for $12 at the chemist.

I believe Kirkland is Costco's in house brand?

#15 Ayr

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

No idea I don't shop at Costco but they're much cheaper than the restavit brand!

#16 lucky 2

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

General Moderator reminder:

As per EB Forum Rules please do not rely on advice (in this case health and OTC medication advice) offered on the forum.
Please seek health advice from a health professional.

Op, I'd encourage you to see your GP or at least talk with a pharmacist about any OTC remedies.

#17 froglett

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

I'd try exercise (even just a brisk 30 min walk) in bright sunlight at 6am ish. That helps enormously for me.

#18 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

If you cant track down restivit, then polaramine is another old school antihistamine which causes drowsiness.

#19 Dianalynch

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

See your gp - what works for me is

Melatonin
Sunlight first thing in the morning, eg have breakfast outside
Cut down on screens
No caffeine after 12 noon
Exercise
Psychologist

Good luck, sleep deprivation is the worst

#20 Kallie88

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

A hot shower about an hour before bed can help, the temperature change of cold to warm to cold is similar to sleep and apparently helps prepare your body.
I often try to imagine a story, like I'm dreaming, when I'm overthinking, it gives my brain something to do that isn't as distracting as the chatter of normal thinking.

#21 Silverstreak

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Get your thyroid checked just in case!

#22 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Music helps my brain stop churning. I play music every night for DS since he was 2. It helps him sleep. As we co-sleep, it makes me sleepy too. It goes for 3hrs. I downloaded it from youtube. Maybe look for a song you like there and use it?

Mediation before bed?

A friend once told me that orgasms cure her insomnia.

#23 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 17 October 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

If you cant track down restivit, then polaramine is another old school antihistamine which causes drowsiness.

Or phenergan. I find phenergan works best for me and you can start with just 10mg if you're sensitive to medication.  I find pharmacists are usually a good go to for medication advice.

#24 Lunafreya

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

Four days with no sleep sounds severe, j would be seeing your GP stat

#25 Kallie88

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 17 October 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

A friend once told me that orgasms cure her insomnia.

True for me too, it's gotta be really bad for this not to work

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.