World teachers day gift ideas

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 curlin

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

Any ideas for teachers presents for world teachers day?
I have 5 to buy for!

#2 BBC

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

I've never had a gift for world teacher's day!

I like to receive red wine, chocolate or nice soaps.
Or something the child has made.

#3 José

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

wine. office works voucher. kikki k stuff.

#4 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

I have given gifts for my kids teachers before. A coffee card for one for 10 coffees to their favourite place.

This year I was going to give the only teacher we have a set of glasses that have their favourite movie on them.  They are limited edition for the 25th anniversary of the movies release

Not sure if that is too OTT

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

It’s not a thing ...:shrug:

#6 marieb

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

I give ours coffee voucher cards for the cafe down the road

#7 .Jerry.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

A P&C at one of my schools once gave a carton of apples - "an apple for the teacher".  We thought that was a great gift!

#8 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Genuine suggestion- white board markers

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

Why would you give gifts? (And I say that as a teacher)

Get your child to make a card.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

EsmeLennox, on 16 October 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Why would you give gifts? (And I say that as a teacher)

Get your child to make a card.

I am not a teacher so didn't want to say that myself but yes that!

#11 SMforshort

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

Every year I got my primary aged kids to write a small booklet for their teachers.  It was 8 pages long (so 2 A4 pages folded in half).  I preprinted at the top of each page things like

Ms X's always says
I like it when Ms X
Ms X's favourite subject is ___________ because
It makes Ms X happy when
If I had a million dollars I'd buy Ms X a

etc

I always encouraged the kids to write full sentence and make sure they gave reasons.  When young they drew pictures.

Make sure they know they can only write nice things!

The teachers loved them.

#12 Goldenash

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

I just googled this and apparently it has passed. It was sat 5 oct.

#13 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

[color=#363636"span style="font-family: Open Sans", sans-serif][font=Open Sans", sans-serif"Most countries around the world celebrate World Teachers&rsquo]This year, World Teachers’ Day falls on Friday  25 October in Australia.[/font][/color]

[color=#002246][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Since its set up in 1994, the day celebrates the marking of the ” teaching in Freedom” in 1996.[/font][/color]

[color=#002246][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Found all this relevant information[/font][/color]

Edited by Tinky Winky Woo, 16 October 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#14 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

I buy for those teachers who have gone above and beyond for my kids.  If the teachers do 'their job' so to speak then I don't purchase anything for the day.

#15 Dianalynch

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

I’ve never done anything for world teacher’s day, am I supposed to? I buy end of year gifts, and I’m good for tissues etc throughout the year...

#16 Jenflea

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

My child is the gift!!

Mostly joking, but teachers all seem to love her.

#17 curlin

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:16 AM

I should add that the whole thing is organised by the PFA. They do a lunch where parents also donate the food and an email has gone out from the PFA suggesting a gift for your favorite teachers would be lovely (I.e I feel almost guilted into it!). I know last year most people gave gifts and would hate for my little ones to stand out as not involved!

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:15 AM

Lunch is more than enough, goodness.

Since you’re in this position though, I would get whiteboard markers or some other stationery supply you’ve noticed they have in the classroom.

#19 *Melstar*

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

I like to do something. I do handwritten cards and a small gift. Or handwritten card and flowers. I used to love taking in a rose from my garden to my teacher growing up, so if I have enough roses in my garden at next week, we will probably do this!

I like to include support teachers, deputy and principal because I think they always get forgotten in the gift giving and the jobs they do are so important in allowing / helping good teachers to do their jobs.

#20 onetrick

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:53 AM

Oh, how awkward for the teachers involved! I'd feel guilty if I thought parents had been told to buy me a gift... and then think that money could be better used to help the students/ school :(
We sometimes get a note in our pigeonhole from the our principal for world teachers day with a choccy attached and honestly, that is enough :)

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

curlin, on 17 October 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

I should add that the whole thing is organised by the PFA. They do a lunch where parents also donate the food and an email has gone out from the PFA suggesting a gift for your favorite teachers would be lovely (I.e I feel almost guilted into it!). I know last year most people gave gifts and would hate for my little ones to stand out as not involved!

The lunch is a great idea...the gifts just no. But I understand why you feel compelled.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

curlin, on 17 October 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

No offense to my son's teachers they are great teachers!!!! but no way would I be doing this, my son is leaving primary so this year we may do something OUR CHOICE.

Our school has a lunch (the school does it) and the P&C buys flowers that is it - there is no mention of parents giving gifts and actually now I think about it is there a tax/law thing that means gifts can only be a certain value anyway? (there is my job we are legally not allowed to accept items over a certain amount - I am personally not bothered at all it just means I don't gain as much weight)

#23 Jenflea

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

I think public school teachers in the ACT can't accept anything over $50 or have to submit it to the principal.

#24 Treasure Island

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

Wow, seriously this is not a thing, your PFA is taking the p*ss. If they want to do a morning tea they should pay for it out of their budget. They should definitely not be asking for gifts as well.

#25 can'tstayaway

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

High SES school. Our P&F have organised a catered lunch to be delivered. There are a few allergy issues so outsourcing it means the teachers can eat it comfortably and low stress for others. Individual classes are organising small gifts like a bouquet of flowers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.