NBN - who have you chosen to go with?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:18 AM

And are you happy with them?
Who would you avoid?
Where do you live? (Not your address of course! Just general area).
Edited for a couple more Qs:
- how much data is included in your plan?
- if you are on HFC which speed did you choose?

Optus has sent me increasingly irritated letters telling me to get my sh*t together or I’ll be disconnected from the internet. I’m not intending to go with Optus NBN as their customer service has been pathetic over the years. Trying to narrow down the field.

Edited by Lifesgood, 16 October 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#2 ~Kay~

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

I'm in NSW.

I'm with Belong. No problems. High recommend.

I went with the mid speed option. 50 I think it's called.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

We are in Melb. We were with Optus and they were hopeless. Lots of drop outs and slow speeds. Terrible service. I thought it was our cable that was the problem though.
Switched to Aussie broadband and everything has been running smoothly since then. Only the occasional peak hour slow down. So t wasn’t our cable, it was Optus being hopeless.
We are on the fastest biggest plan.

#4 K.heather

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

Im in Tas and through Belong. No issues here we pay $65 for unlimited data and $10 a month for mobile phone plan, unlimited calls and 1 gig data which rolls over if not used.

#5 AdelTwins

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

We are holding out as long as we can as the plans are $10/month more expensive than we are paying now.

I believe you have 18 months to make the switch once your area is connected.

#6 Ayr

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

We went with optus, we already had optus cable. They all use the same nbn lines so if there's issues with them there's usually issues with other providers as well at the time. Our cable cut off was August so I had to move. Luckily I have had no issues at all, and they're cheaper than some of the independant nbn companies coming out.

Other people in our suburb but not near us complain daily of issues on the community Facebook page. So it's all about location on nbn not necessarily the provider. I don't actually pay for mine so as long as it works I'm happy.

Edited by Ayr, 16 October 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

I took the line of least resistance and just went with Telstra. It's $10 per month more expensive than our cable plan previously, for unlimited (daughter and her bf do a lot of streaming).

Eastern Melbourne.  Have been getting messages from them for a while, and our switch over was only a month or two off.

My understanding though, was that was only for the landline, and that people like us who had cable broadband, that would just keep going.   Not sure, though.

Seamless transition - even connected the modem which was theoretically supposed to be extra. They changed our landline number though, which is neither here nor there given we haven't used it for yonks, but it's apparently a glitch in the Telstra system whereby if you order the NBN online, click on 'upgraded service' rather than 'new service', it still gives you a new landline number.  You have to wait until the NBN is connected, then call them to change the number back. Weird. The person I spoke to admitted it's a glitch in the system.

#8 ~elle~

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

yep - we've had iinet bothering us for over 6 months - phone, sms and email saying our service will be cut off if we don't sign up to nbn right now, quite threatening / angry stuff.  

I rang and complained - they said they're just signing ppl up and our area is not due to be changed over until well into next year. Given that their service (or should I say lack / non existant service  this year ) has been very substandard and I'm looking for another service provider.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

I will probably stick with Optus as our mobiles and current internet with them, I am in a contract with them for another 18months, DH is out of his and I think we are out of the internet one but I like to keep it all simple (it is all in my name though so all on one account) so will stick with them till all out contracts are out together maybe

TPG is good for NBN I hear but we were with them once years ago and were not happy.

I think you have another year before you HAVE to change though regardless of what they try and push

#10 annodam

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Optus Cable first for 19yrs & now with Optus NBN, we must be the very few who have had no issues.

ETA:  Same price as before with unlimited data.

Edited by annodam, 16 October 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

We go through Launtel. Fastest internet in Australia and a local company. There are a lot of us and we game so fast speeds were important. The best thing is that because they are local problems get fixed quickly and with a lot of support and it also has a feature where you can turn it off if you're going away so you don't have to pay when you aren't using it :)

#12 cstar

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

We are with IInet too, had issues though with our land line as it's a voip phone and even though they said it would work, it doesn't.

I did however have a terrible experience the other day with Dodo.  My parents are with them, they only have a landline, never had internet.

The guy was trying to get me to move them over to NBN so I asked him if the cost to their monthly bill will change, NO, will there be any additional costs, NO, they do charge for delivery of modem however he will waive that.  Anyway, I said to him I need to speak to my parents and I'll get back to you, can you email me the details so I can go over them, I give him my email address, he sends it to my brothers email (he was the one who connected them with Dodo to begin with), he forwards it to me, I take a look, this guy has gone ahead and put in the order for NBN!!!! I was beyond p*ssed off.  I call them up to cancel, I told the lady he said the price would be the same is that correct, she tells me no, they will be charged an extra $30 per month.  I lost it, I told her I wanted to put a complaint against him as if he was talking to my parents they wouldn't understand and then they'd be stuck trying to deal with it all.

The next day my brother sends me an email with an invoice for $24.90, so I call them up again, this is the delivery fee for the modem!!!   I tell them I want to lodge a formal complaint, they put me through to that department.  Apparently, he cannot waive the delivery fee and the service had not been cancelled.  

So be careful, they promise you everything to get you to sign up and then you are left to deal with it.

#13 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

Melbourne. We are with Aussie Broadband. Cringey name. Their call centre is in Australia. DH researched and they seemed the best for our needs. Their focus seems to be good customer service and I can't fault it so far.

#14 dadwasathome

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

Inner-west Sydney. There was no good reason to change from Optus. NBN has been more solid than the previous cable service.

#15 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Aussie.  Can't fault them. Certainly a change from my previous Optus "service"

#16 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

We stayed with iinet.  Have always found them good (not as good as when they first started up as a small australian company, especially now the call centre seems to mainly be in South Africa) but they have always been better than Telstra and Optus.

I am hearing really good things in our area about Aussie Broadband too.  I would have swapped to them if Iinet didn't work out, but we've had a great experience so far, no drop outs and kids not fighting over who's using too much each night.

#17 Jo.F

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

I'm with Aussie Broadband in Morphett Vale, SA. I pay $74/m for 500gb

Never had a problem with them. No drop outs, good speeds and barely any downtime due to network issues/repairs. The ex did a lot of research before connecting with them and they were the best for what's around. They also cap their connections and dont take new clients unless they can support them (well they did when we booked) unlike other carriers who will sell to as many customers as they can which then in turn slows down speeds when they have say 20,000 connections but 100,000 clients. If that makes sense.

#18 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

I have to change over before February and getting lots of letters from Telstra. I am reluctant to stay with them.

I have heard nothing but glowing reviews about Aussie so will probably go with them.

I am in Melbourne western suburbs

#19 MooGuru

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

My parents Optus nbn experience has been a nightmare. Finally connected and their speed is less than 1/5 of what it was pre nbn and they can't even open the Internet at all during peak times.
It took months to sort out and now this. I keep telling them to go to the ombudsman but they think because it's a contract there's nothing they can do.

#20 SFmummyto3

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Another recent convert to Aussie BB. We’re on the middle slightly cheaper option which is heaps faster than the old adsl. May well upgrade to the faster one.

#21 **Xena**

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

Ruf~Feral~es, on 16 October 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

We stayed with iinet.  Have always found them good (not as good as when they first started up as a small australian company, especially now the call centre seems to mainly be in South Africa) but they have always been better than Telstra and Optus.

Iinet was bought out by TPG in 2015 and that's when the customer service got moved mainly overseas.

#22 AnythingGoes

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

Melbourne east - stayed with iinet and have been happy with them. We had some problems early on but that was the nbn not iinet. We swapped over when they did our area in the hope that if we had teething issues at least the technical people would still be in the neighbourhood.

#23 aluminium

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Aussie Broadband

We had Telstra and then My Republic but Aussie have been the best by far.

ETA we're near Newcastle NSW.

Edited by aluminium, 16 October 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#24 hills mum bec

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

We are in Adelaide Hills where the internet is woeful.  We had a fixed wireless plan with Superloop with unlimited data for $70/month.  We had no issues with it unless the weather was particularly bad and this would affect the dish on the roof.  When we finally got NBN in our area we changed to Superloops NBN unlimited plan for $90/month that was supposed to be faster but it wasn't any faster and kept dropping out so we have changed back to the fixed wireless connection.

#25 mumbag

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

Perth. Aussie Broadband and they've been fantastic, no issues, fast connection. Very happy with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.