And the mansplainer of the day award goes to...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:22 PM

Winston Smith.

Edited to add explanation because sometimes I can see the image and sometimes I can't.

Winston says on Twitter that a fetus is outside of your body and the uterine lining is an external surface.

Because Winston is an idiot.

Posted Image

Edited by BadCat, 14 October 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#2 JustBeige

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

How embarrassing for him. He said that in his 'out loud ' voice :lol:

#3 Chchgirl

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Jesus.

#4 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

Wow 😂

#5 MooGuru

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

Ahhh yes, I learnt that during antenatal classes when they showed that classic video about pregnancy - Aliens.

#6 VigilantePaladin

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

??????

I googled but the only Winston Smith I got was from 1984....

#7 BadCat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostMurderBritches, on 14 October 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

??????

I googled but the only Winston Smith I got was from 1984....

Can you not see the image I posted along with his name?

If not, let me enlighten you.

Winston says on Twitter that a fetus is outside of your body and the uterine lining is an external surface.

Because Winston is an idiot.

Edited by BadCat, 14 October 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

Well it would make labour and delivery a breeze.

#9 Literary Lemur

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

surely it follows then that the fetus can live outside a woman's body and hence removing it from her body is not as issue?

#10 ~J_F~

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

How the hell do you get to be an adult and think that crap like that?!

The dumb of some never fails to surprise!

#11 JBH

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

I could almost be convinced to have another baby if I could grow it on the outside of my body.

#12 Murderino

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

The lack of knowledge amongst men (and some women) of women’s reproductive organs is horrifying. I genuinely think my 8 year old son knows more than many, many adult men.

I’m going to have to find that tweet as I’m sure I’ll get a good giggle from replies.

#13 zenkitty

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

I am in no way condoning this idiot, but I can see the anatomical basis for him forming this stupid view. In purely cellular terms, epithelium lines body cavities dividing “inside” the body from “outside” - there’s a long stretch of “outside” the body between your mouth and your anus, inside your lungs, bladder, uterus, etc.

Of course, this purely cellular perspective necessarily considers an embryo as a collection of cells too, which is where he can’t exactly have it both ways.

#14 magic_marker

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Does he have a fetus living in his testicles.

Sheesh. Now l've heard everything!

#15 Crombek

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

I think I *kind* of grasp his reasoning, but I can’t really articulate it. I don’t think he’s trying to say it’s is literally outside, but the uterine lining creates a ‘bubble’ of space that does not belong to the mother? Maybe?

I very much disagree with him in any case!

Zenkitty said it much better lol

Edited by Crombek, 14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#16 Just Jack

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

Surely he's just making a bizarre anti-choice argument - ie to the effect that the fetus is 'other' to the mother - rather than making a literal anatomical argument?

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 14 October 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Surely he's just making a bizarre anti-choice argument - ie to the effect that the fetus is 'other' to the mother - rather than making a literal anatomical argument?

with these forced birthers you never can tell. the foetus is “external” to the body if you don’t think the woman *is* a body....a person....but rather a mere incubator ....

#18 zenkitty

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 14 October 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Yes, he’s deliberately misinterpreting and twisting an anatomical concept to justify an anti choice position. He’s saying a foetus is no more a part of a woman’s body than faeces.

#19 ~J_F~

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

Let’s see him push a baby out of his vag then argue it’s outside of the body!!!

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

View Postzenkitty, on 14 October 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Yes, he’s deliberately misinterpreting and twisting an anatomical concept to justify an anti choice position. He’s saying a foetus is no more a part of a woman’s body than faeces.

ha well in that case let us expel it like faeces and it can can fend for itself...would that satisfy this guy? no, didn’t think so....

(sarcasm font.....i get that you’re not agreeing with his view!)

#21 zenkitty

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 14 October 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

(sarcasm font.....i get that you’re not agreeing with his view!)

Just taking his reasoning to it’s logical conclusion!

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostCrombek, on 14 October 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

I think I *kind* of grasp his reasoning, but I can’t really articulate it. I don’t think he’s trying to say it’s is literally outside, but the uterine lining creates a ‘bubble’ of space that does not belong to the mother? Maybe?

I very much disagree with him in any case!

Zenkitty said it much better lol

Except without the mother the uterine lining would not be there. The mother's blood supply is responsible for all that goes on in the uterus.
I can not excuse his reasoning at all...let's try a uterus growing a baby without the mother as the host.I know they are trying but to this point it hasn't happened.

#23 kirstenfleur

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

I... don't understand...

There isn't enough "no!" in the world, sometimes.

#24 Dianalynch

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

I get it anatomically speaking, like the digestive system, however he’s an idiot, his argument is a fallacy, I mean who thinks that way...

#25 ali-song

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 15 October 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Except without the mother the uterine lining would not be there. The mother's blood supply is responsible for all that goes on in the uterus.
I can not excuse his reasoning at all...let's try a uterus growing a baby without the mother as the host.I know they are trying but to this point it hasn't happened.

So... more like a tooth?

Such a strange argument for this dude to make!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.