Does this sound like CVS to anyone who's experienced it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

So... DD is 9, nearly 10, has ASD, ADHD and anxiety (separation, global and one other type I always forget - in a nutshell, anxiety is always present in our lives).

In the last four or so months, she's had 4-5 bouts of unexplained vomiting, beginning at night around 11pm -12 am, where she basically vomits every hour, on the hour, for about 4-5 hours.

Then miraculously is symptom free, apart from lethargy the next day.

Until now, I've put it down to random gastro bugs but it's bizarre how each episode happens around the same time and follows the same pattern.

Obviously, standard eb disclaimer - will consult health care professional etc etc, but since I can think of a couple of members who's kids have this, I wondered if it were similar to thier experiences?

#2 SelceLisbeth

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

Hi OP, as you might know, my older son has this. He was much younger when his bouts started (12 months old). I think his anxiety at such a young age was caused by sensory issues related to his autism.

What you write does sound like CVS. The rules of thumb are that the vomiting bouts are regular (DS is every 15 minutes), that the episodes start during the night (usually waking the pt up in their sleep) and also that often a long sleep tends to clear up the vomiting and break the cycle.

It was a long time for us before we had a proper diagnosis, despite DS being hospitalised at least once a month in the early years. As DS has grown his episodes are less frequent, but virtually every episode now results in needing an admission to hospital, where as when he was younger I could manage about 50% of them at home.

Triggers tend to be easy to figure out, but often difficult to avoid. For my DS (who also has Double Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Specific Anxiety Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder and ADHD -  Inattentive - Read: lots of anxiety) its not just things that are negative that trigger an episode, its also anything that excites him, like xmas, birthdays, holidays etc. We have spent a few xmas days in the kids ward. The most typical port of call is for kids to be prescribed the anti-emetic wafers that chemo patients get to be given at the onset of symptoms. Didnt work for my child. I know it does work for some others though.

Other triggers are any gastro illnesses. They are guaranteed hospitalisations. DS cannot afford to get gastro bugs as they make him very sick. A few years ago he had salmonella and that triggered his CVS as well and I came close to losing him as his kidneys and heart were under great strain.

The main thing to take away from all of this is that often doctors dont know what CVS is. Even paediatric registrars at hospital. They will often want you to trial fluids like gastrolyte, but in most CVS people anything in their stomach will irritate and exacerbate the vomiting.

With what you report, Id guess it is CVS, but at the milder end. I would definitely do my best to address your child's anxiety as much as possible to reduce occurrences. You may not yet have enough of a pattern for a diagnosis of CVS, I dont know. Definitely worth writing down the incidents, including time of onset, time frame between vomits and if a sleep precipitates recovery, how long the sleep is.

Happy to answer any questions here or via PM.

#3 gracie1978

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Are there any blood sugar issues?

My friend's child had this issue, CVS looked like the most obvious diagnoses, but after a lot of testing they worked out he needed to eat VERY regularly.
Including food just before sleep and immediately on waking.

I can't remember what it's called but it was confirmed with home blood sugar tests.

#4 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:18 AM

That is incredibly helpful SL. I was hoping you would reply. We are linked in with a paed gastro for other reasons although i didn't find him overly helpful last time (but that was more to do with a GP suggesting that her MI stuff was being worsened by histamine type issues, and we were trying to look into GI and ENT aspects) but I suspect it might be worth seeing him again. I would hope he would be up on this sort of condition.

I will start a diary - it's just too weird that it's become a pattern. I'm thankful she hasn't been so bad that she needs hospitalization and doesn't seem to get overly dehydrated, just needs to drink extra water the next day, but each episode seems to be marginally worse.

It didn't help that DH and I had a massive fight in the middle of it because he sat there watching me clean up but didn't lift a finger, so no doubt that didn't help the situation. She's a bit of a mess mentally today from hearing that.

I am so exhausted from meeting their needs (both kids have disabilities) and then having to pick up his slack too. Sigh.

And my bedroom still smells like vom and I can't find the source... 🤔

#5 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

Ooh that's interesting about the blood sugar Gracie... I actually have never looked into that with her. Hmmm.

#6 BusbyWilkes

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I have a family member (with similar diagnosis to your DD) who had abdominal migraines. Very severe in her case and requiring regular hospitalisation.
My child seems to have a milder version that we are just tracking/keeping an eye on at present.
Gastro Paed would be the person to see.

#7 Islander

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

I also had vomiting bouts associated with low blood sugars for years as a teenager, would vomit about once an hour for about eight hours. But mine always coincided with obvious triggers like huge amounts of exercise on not much food (and never started overnight as far as I remember). It was diagnosed by accident- I needed a medical for a school trip and sugar in my urine was an incidental finding. I think I just control it with diet now- I still get nauseous but carry food everywhere!

#8 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Islander. I will definitely ask the GP about blood sugar issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.