Has the OTC codiene ban done any good, or just inconvenienced the average Jo?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 Ellie bean

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

It’s certainly been a hassle for me, I really can’t get through my period without codeine, I have to do a fair bit of planning now and that’s for someone with a supportive GP, who I can easily get an appointment with, and I’m able to pay for extra dr’s appointments if needed. I can see it could be a nightmare in other circumstances. I really hope it’s cut down codeine overuse, I’d hate to think it was pointless, the cynical part of me suspects people overusing drugs will still get them somehow.

#52 rosie28

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

Panadol is being taken very seriously here in this hospital I’m in for fetal monitoring and a migraine- I had a dose at 11am, so they’ve turned the hospital inside out to find me a codeine only tablet so as not to double me up on paracetamol. They finally found one! So now I’ve had the equivalent of 2 panadeine tablets. I think.

#53 purplekitty

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostGreatmum, on 11 October 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

U shouldn’t leave medication in a car anyway. And u can take Panadol an hour apart as long as u don’t take more than the amount in 24 hours.
What do you mean you can take it an hour apart?

#54 Greatmum

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Someone said they took it an hour early one time and panicked. Dr has told me that is ok so as long as I don’t have more than 8 in 24 hours. When I have headache I take two then two a few hours later if it hasn’t helped. And that usually works so wouldn’t have any more in 24 hours.

Edited by Greatmum, 11 October 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#55 born.a.girl

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostGreatmum, on 11 October 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

U shouldn’t leave medication in a car anyway. And u can take Panadol an hour apart as long as u don’t take more than the amount in 24 hours.

Sure you shouldn't, but for some people, knowing there's emergency medication in the car if and when they need it can make a huge difference.

For many years I took a medication that was supposed to be refrigerated.  I left the dregs of bottles in my bag, in the glove box etc because it had a very short half life and a very erratic period over which it would work.  The occasional times I had to resort to using it, it worked long enough for me to get home.

#56 RabbitHash

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Somewhat tangentially, codeine is a great cough suppressor for dry, hacking coughing fits. It is slightly annoying to have to to the doctor to get cough syrup.

#57 purplekitty

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

View PostRabbitHash, on 11 October 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Somewhat tangentially, codeine is a great cough suppressor for dry, hacking coughing fits. It is slightly annoying to have to to the doctor to get cough syrup.
There are OTC options.

#58 PrincessPeach

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

Not sure if its changed since, but I was able to buy a bottle of Rikodine for DH last month.

For the lack of sleep I (should i better say we) were suffering, it would have been well worth the $60 for the dr to get that on prescription.

#59 Greatmum

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

I always take meds everywhere I go just in case. But I never leave them in the car.

#60 Soontobegran

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 11 October 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

the cynical part of me suspects people overusing drugs will still get them somehow.

The people overusing codeine are people like you and me. Normal people not taking them for a hit but because they believe they need them for pain, they are not illicit drug seekers. The tolerance happens very quickly, the drug requirements rise exponentially and by then it is too late.

If you need codeine for period pain...like any other chronic condition you can see a doctor and get a plan in place that will enable you to have them when needed.
Lots of people have to go to a GP when they feel they could medicate themselves if everything was OTC....it's all good until it isn't though.

#61 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Our doctor gave us a prescription for codeine syrup when my kids had the flu earlier in the year,  for that exact purpose. They did actually have flu though not just a cold.

#62 born.a.girl

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostGreatmum, on 12 October 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I always take meds everywhere I go just in case. But I never leave them in the car.

Horses for courses - it depends on what you're on, how often you need it, whether it's by schedule or 'as needed' and the consequences of it wearing off.  My 'just in case' involved every physical space I regularly inhabited.

#63 purplekitty

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

View Post**Tiger*Filly**, on 12 October 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Our doctor gave us a prescription for codeine syrup when my kids had the flu earlier in the year,  for that exact purpose. They did actually have flu though not just a cold.
It is no longer recommended to use Codeine in children under 12 yrs. of age.

Under 18 in certain circumstances.

#64 Fizgig

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 10 October 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

Yes but everyone is paranoid about overuse and rebound headaches. It is quite simple 8 days around cycle and 3 days mid month my head twitches. Botox has helped so just 1-2 codeine tablets a day helps, but you know rebound headaches. I have done months without codeine and exactly the same pattern. I think until menopause is complete and my hormones aren’t going crazy it will be a problem for me. Problem is my cycles (which were a lovely 8-12 wks) have become as little as 21d and even on medications to help regulate them I went out to 30d but am now back at 26d. Leaves little time for non twitchy times.

That sounds like an absolute pain VVV. I get hormonal migraines (3-4) days but only at the beginning of a cycle. My GP was happy to prescribe me nurofen plus because I told her it was the only thing that had ever worked just to take the edge off. I also got a script for a triptan. Nurofen for the first sign of a migraine and triptan if that doesn't see it off. The combination is a beauty for me. I hope you can get what you need. My GP said that hormonal migraines are the worst because they can hang around for ages!

I haven't found it that much of a pain as I have other scripts and need to go to the GP 1-2 times a year anyway and just get all scripts renewed when there. I carry my meds with me everywhere in a lockable/childproof purse that I learnt about on EB.

thebag

#65 RabbitHash

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 11 October 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Not sure if its changed since, but I was able to buy a bottle of Rikodine for DH last month.

For the lack of sleep I (should i better say we) were suffering, it would have been well worth the $60 for the dr to get that on prescription.

Ricodeine is the one I usually get. You were able to get it without a prescription?

#66 iwanttosleepin

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Codeine is/was way overused and nowhere near the wonder drug many people make it out to be.

there are much more effective ways to manage pain for lots of circumstances.  So yes, reducing ODs by 50% with everyone made to revisit their pain management regimes is a good outcome. less convenient yes but a good outcome.

I agree that it doesn't make all GPs perfect immediately but if it starts the conversation and training improves - excellent outcome.

#67 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostRabbitHash, on 13 October 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Ricodeine is the one I usually get. You were able to get it without a prescription?

Yes - really surprised. It did require a label, but still easier than trying to get DH to a dr at that point in time (he was working stupid hours).

#68 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 12 October 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

It is no longer recommended to use Codeine in children under 12 yrs. of age.

Under 18 in certain circumstances.
My kids aren't under 12.

#69 born.a.girl

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

View Postiwanttosleepin, on 13 October 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

Codeine is/was way overused and nowhere near the wonder drug many people make it out to be.

there are much more effective ways to manage pain for lots of circumstances.  So yes, reducing ODs by 50% with everyone made to revisit their pain management regimes is a good outcome. less convenient yes but a good outcome.

I agree that it doesn't make all GPs perfect immediately but if it starts the conversation and training improves - excellent outcome.

I'll start by saying I haven't had coedine since the restrictions came in, mainly because the cause of my migraines, a tumour wad diagnosed and removed (after nearly 20 years of them).

I'm not sure who's saying it's a 'wonder drug'. I tried all sorts of migraine alternatives over those years, hoping like hell that one of them would work better, because coedine gave me constipation from hell, which aggravated my Ulcerative Colitis - ironically caused by the tumour, and like the migraines and a number other things, gone the way of the tumour.

My GP is fantastic, but what would you suggest people do, whose doctor doesn't recognise the level of their pain, and who refuses to prescribe adequate pain relief for them?

All very well to have better conversations and more training (and more pain clinics), but some here have found they can't actually get adequate pain relief.

(I fully agree with the long term objectives.)

#70 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 10 October 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

A 50% drop in overdoses is massive.

It is, BUT:

"Our research didn’t look at whether the codeine switch led to more people using paracetamol or ibuprofen, or were harmed by them."

Ive read elsewhere theres been huge increases in taking Nurofen which can do a lot of damage if not taken correctly but it wont show up for a while.  Taken correctly my pharmacist assured me nurofen was very

safe,

#71 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

I get bad back pain from an injury as a teen, when it flares codeine was the only thing that worked properly

Now to take the edge of the pain when its flared up i take 2 panadol and 2 nurofen at once, then same again about 3 hours later v the 1 maybe 2 at best codeine tablets

inconvenience to me as i have a fear of drs and wont go unless im unconscious or as good as so to go for back pain just wont happen for me.

Edited by *Nasty*Squeekums*, 13 October 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#72 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:02 PM

I was listening to a news story about how the numbers of GP and hospital visits had gone way up. Then said to DH “Well what do they expect with everyone’s employers now demanding medical certificates, as well as those who need Panadeine every now and then having to see a GP for a prescription for it.”

My pain clinic doctor told my GP that I am to take Celebrex, but for times when my back and hip are just too bad. I am allowed Endone or Panadeine Forte as a box of either was doing me 2months or more.
MyGP refuses to prescribe Endone or anything above Panamax Co anymore.

#73 purplekitty

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

View Post**Tiger*Filly**, on 13 October 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

My kids aren't under 12.
I'm relieved to hear that.

The efficacy of Codeine for cough and analgesia has been brought in to doubt in recent years while the possible side effects have been cause for greater concern.

It has been linked to breathing difficulties and deaths in children and adolescents and paediatric organisations and regulators have responded.

#74 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 13 October 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

]Ive read elsewhere theres been huge increases in taking Nurofen which can do a lot of damage if not taken correctly but it wont show up for a while.  Taken correctly my pharmacist assured me nurofen was very[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

safe,

But how many people are taking nurofen correctly? even the box doesnt mention it shouldnt be taken on an empty stomach - yet Ive had multiple GP's & pharamcists tell me to do this.

#75 Ayr

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 13 October 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

I get bad back pain from an injury as a teen, when it flares codeine was the only thing that worked properly

Now to take the edge of the pain when its flared up i take 2 panadol and 2 nurofen at once, then same again about 3 hours later v the 1 maybe 2 at best codeine tablets

inconvenience to me as i have a fear of drs and wont go unless im unconscious or as good as so to go for back pain just wont happen for me.

I switched to voltaren rapid for my back pain. It has worked better than panadol/normal neurofen though not as well as neurofen plus but it saves a trip to the Dr for a prescription.

View PostPrincessPeach, on 14 October 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

But how many people are taking nurofen correctly? even the box doesnt mention it shouldnt be taken on an empty stomach - yet Ive had multiple GP's & pharamcists tell me to do this.

Neurofen plus should be and I did think it said on the box but I haven't had a standard box around for a while. Normal Neurofen I have never been told by a Dr or pharmacist to not take on an empty stomach. One Dr I said I was having to take it during the night every night for my pain at one point and she said it was fine and won't do any harm but I'd need to have something in my stomach if I'm taking neurofen plus.

Edited by Ayr, 14 October 2019 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.