Extinction Rebellion Poll

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

Poll: Extinction Rebellion (306 member(s) have cast votes)

Extinction Rebellion. Yay or Nay.

1. Yay (179 votes [58.50%])

Percentage of vote: 58.50%

2. Nay (127 votes [41.50%])

Percentage of vote: 41.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Lunafreya

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, I'd like to hear what they should do that hasn't been tried

#52 (feral)epg

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 09 October 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

I'm in Perth and heard quite a few locations announced on my way home last night and way in to work this morning.  They gave intersections and a 2 hour time window to 'be prepared'.

It was on ABC radio.  Maybe it depends who you listen to and how much they care?

Weird.  There was never any attempt to block any roads in Perth.  There will be some protests in the city on Friday and I guess there is some chance of roads being blocked between Elizabeth Quay and the CBD but it's unlikely that anything would go for very long.  

It all might be quite fun and creative though!

#53 can'tstayaway

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostFahrook, on 09 October 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Rubbish.  It is well known that part of the XR strategy here is to not tell police where they will "swarm" for maximum disruption of business, roads and transport.  The plans only show starting points, they do not show where the random blockades of intersections or railway lines will occur.  
That’s one interpretation of their actions. Another is that when they comply with requests to “move on”, they do so which results in the “random” protests.

The bike blockade was on for 3 minutes before they complied with police requests to move on.

Part of the problem causing the extra disruption is that the governments discourage protests on the sly. Maybe I’m cynical but I see the governments actually happy that the general population are inconvenienced and get upset with the protesters. It’s a PR game on both sides.

#54 (feral)epg

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

View Postcan, on 09 October 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

That’s one interpretation of their actions. Another is that when they comply with requests to “move on”, they do so which results in the “random” protests.

The bike blockade was on for 3 minutes before they complied with police requests to move on.

Part of the problem causing the extra disruption is that the governments discourage protests on the sly. Maybe I’m cynical but I see the governments actually happy that the general population are inconvenienced and get upset with the protesters. It’s a PR game on both sides.

So far the Perth police have been mostly lovely.  I think they really enjoyed last weeks interpretive dance in gas masks outside woodside, and todays AC/DC concert at parliament house.

#55 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 09 October 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Weird.  There was never any attempt to block any roads in Perth.  There will be some protests in the city on Friday and I guess there is some chance of roads being blocked between Elizabeth Quay and the CBD but it's unlikely that anything would go for very long.  

It all might be quite fun and creative though!

They weren't so much saying road blocks as they were just letting people know that there would be protests in certain areas - I think between 11-1, so be aware if you were driving around the city or going to get your lunch etc.

Also the protests outside Channel 7 and Channel 9 (I think it was)?

#56 can'tstayaway

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

View Postcasime, on 09 October 2019 - 04:22 PM, said:

I do object when protesters undertake illegal or dangerous activities (trespass, supergluing themselves to roads, hanging from the Storey Bridge), which requires others to have to put themselves at risk to remove or save them or can make people feel threatened (such as vegan protesters who trespass onto private property).  I also disagree with harassment of passers-by who have the right to go about their day without being screamed at or forced to engage with anyone protesting if they do not wish to.
I agree with you about not agreeing with dangerous or violent action.

With XR in Brisbane (I’m not following closely elsewhere), the state government made new laws after the fact to make protestors glueing themselves on the road to be illegal. When they did it, it was not illegal.

The man who suspended himself on the Storey Bridge did not put anyone in harm’s way and did not risk any police officers to ‘rescue’ him. He was talked ‘up’ the same day.  He is an experienced climber and was well prepared. He was in mobile phone contact with police and traffic on the Storey Bridge is crap normally anyway.

I haven’t heard of any Brisbane XR protestors who have trespassed onto private property.

#57 #notallcats

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 09 October 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

My anxiety is due to groups of people, being stuck somewhere, not being able to leave and having people all up in my space.

If things go as predicted with climate change, it's likely you will experience far more of this than what you experienced today with the protests.  If weather extremes happen -fire, flood, cyclones - you have to move into evacuation centres.  Food and water shortages, you'll be lining up.

#58 purplekitty

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 09 October 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I think the legacy of Joh Bjelke Petersen is coming home to roost.

We are in a situation where protesting attracts more serious penalties than domestic violence, white collar crime, and incarcerating people without charge for well over 5 years (that's our government).

We are now in a place where governments have already outlawed previously acceptable protest actions, like strikes, that achieved sensible working conditions - and they are removing those hard won rights through they system. Nurses protesting patient ratios would now be jailed for taking industrial action protesting that.

And how Bjelke-Peterson and Qld. were criticised and berated by the rest of Australia at the time.
Deservedly so.

What has changed.

#59 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:14 PM

hmmmm 54-45 (and change) .....it’s interesting - this is the epitome of the “relaxed and comfortable” attitude - protests are meant to be loud, noticeable, attract the attention of the press, attract negative attention and inconvenience people. that’s what they’re designed to do....protests that don’t do that aren’t really protests, they’re a bunch of people standing around a water cooler agreeing “I’m ok - and you’re ok too” - but we’re not ok, and we need to agitate for change.

brings to mind this quote (different catastrophe)
“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”

#60 Lunafreya

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

Good people who do nothing.

#61 AliasMater

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

I have just unfollowed the Queensland Police FB page. As far as I'm concerned, they are intentionally riling up hatred for protestors.

#62 red_squirrel

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

I had heard of them but didn’t really know anything about them so went to their website. It didn’t say much.

I found they have a YouTube Chanel. They put their own talks there plus some tv interviews. The talks are quite lengthy but I have listened to a few over the last few days.

These people are quite nuts.

They are against the ‘carbon economy’ and so want that to change. So far so good. Except they take it to extremes.

the following comes from a few different head people.

They want no airports. No building of solar or windfarms because they require fossil fuels to produce. No climate mitigating devices such as sea walls as they require concrete and again the use of fossil fuels. No new roads. Some others I’ve forgotten.

They say, we won’t be back to the Stone Age but not sure how they will get electricity to work. No one has asked if they see us having electricity and I think someone should. They also want to destroy the economy as it is carbon based. And don’t believe in following the laws as they are only in place to keep the carbon economy going.

I have listened to a few of the founders talks and he is quite the catastrophist. Saying things like there will be mass starvation within ten years possibly 5. In one he got carried away and said within three years. He is determined there will be mass collapse and half seems to want it to come from his disruptions.

He is also actively encouraging young people to get arrested in the spirit of adventure. Which is really irresponsible because if they get a record forget about getting a job in the future. The founder in particular seems drunk on power.

Also, he keeps saying they need to do these disruptions as everything else they did has been ignored and they are determined to be heard. So what happens when they are again ignored? This guy needs to be watched.

They are not like your normal environmental groups.

Edited by red_squirrel, 09 October 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#63 Lunafreya

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

#64 BadCat

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

I am absolutely on board with them.

I support their civil disobedience 100%.

Millions of people all over the world marched peacefully.  Scientists have produced endless reports showing we have a problem.  Advisory bodies have told governments what they need to do.  And governments all around the world continue to focus on their short term economy because the future economy isn't their problem.

It's time to **** sh*t up.

#65 (feral)epg

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

View Postred_squirrel, on 09 October 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

I had heard of them but didn’t really know anything about them so went to their website. It didn’t say much.

I found they have a YouTube Chanel. They put their own talks there plus some tv interviews. The talks are quite lengthy but I have listened to a few over the last few days.

They are against the ‘carbon economy’ and so want that to change. So far so good. Except they take it to extremes.

They want no airports. No building of solar or windfarms because they require fossil fuels to produce. No climate mitigating devices such as sea walls as they require concrete and again the use of fossil fuels. No new roads. Some others I’ve forgotten.

They say, we won’t be back to the Stone Age but not sure how they will get electricity to work. No one has asked if they see us having electricity and I think someone should. They also want to destroy the economy as it is carbon based. And don’t believe in following the laws as they are only in place to keep the carbon economy going.

I have listened to a few of the founders talks and he is quite the catastrophist. Saying things like there will be mass starvation within ten years possibly 5. In one he got carried away and said within three years. He is determined there will be mass collapse and half seems to want it to come from his disruptions.

He is also actively encouraging young people to get arrested in the spirit of adventure. Which is really irresponsible because if they get a record forget about getting a job in the future. The founder in particular seems drunk on power.

Also, he keeps saying they need to do these disruptions as everything else they did has been ignored and they are determined to be heard. So what happens when they are again ignored? This guy needs to be watched.

none of that is true

#66 BadCat

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

You know what?

I don't know how much, if any, of that is true.

And I don't care.

I just don't.

Somebody has to do something.  Are they going to have their demands met?  Of course not.  Does it matter?  Of course not.  What matters is that governments stop thinking about their own personal re-election and remember that their job is to serve the people of their nation, not sit on their hands while the world burns so as not to get potential voters offside.  

And we've seen repeatedly that world governments are ignoring the pleas of the people.  It's time to get loud and angry.

Edited by BadCat, 09 October 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#67 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

They are not all "quite nuts".  Read the opinion piece that I posted from the ABC site

And it often takes people at the extreme to push for the changes.  And then we find a 'happy medium'.  Changes to the things that matter - carbon emissions - but keeping our airports too.

#68 TrixieBelden

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

Lol.

I could have a criminal record related to protesting and I would still be able to have my job - one that I can only assume has far greater responsiblities and requires (clearly) far greater education than yours RS.

Talk about catastrophising......

#69 red_squirrel

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 09 October 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

none of that is true

Go to the XR YouTube site and watch any of their talks. All of this comes from recent talks.

I didn’t watch many Tv interviews as they were just back and forth sound bites. The talks are community lectures they held.

#70 **Xena**

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Complete rubbish. It was started by 100 academics signing to say they wanted a call to action and taken up by Get Up and other activists. There is no singular founder. Their aims are the same as the other Climate Change strike groups:

1.Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.

2.Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2025.

3.Government must create, and be led by the decisions of, a citizens' assembly on climate and ecological justice.

I have no doubt there are probably some members of it that have more extreme views but it's disingenuous to make untrue claims about what the group's core message is.

Edited by **Xena**, 09 October 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#71 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Yeah my job would be fine too.  We ask about criminal convictions, but personally, I think I'd be more likely to employ someone with a criminal conviction for climate protests, or domestic violence protests.....

I still disagree with destruction of property during a protest, but that is a different conviction to disturbing the peace.

#72 No Drama Please

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Postred_squirrel, on 09 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Go to the XR YouTube site and watch any of their talks. All of this comes from recent talks.

I didn’t watch many Tv interviews as they were just back and forth sound bites. The talks are community lectures they held.
I’ve had a look at a few and found things about protecting natural environments, planting trees, Emma Thompson and a young man who said they are not all hippies as he went to the same public school as Boris Johnson, but nothing you stated in your post. Do you have any links?

#73 Mands09

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

Stop investing in companies that are hell bent on destroying our environment. Either directly through shares in the ASX or through your super fund. Change to a superfund like FutureSuper. Drop your investments in environmentally irresponsible companies. If everyone started doing that tomorrow it would have a much bigger impact than people laying down in the street blocking pedestrians and protesters blocking traffic.

#74 (feral)epg

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostMands09, on 09 October 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Stop investing in companies that are hell bent on destroying our environment. Either directly through shares in the ASX or through your super fund. Change to a superfund like FutureSuper. Drop your investments in environmentally irresponsible companies. If everyone started doing that tomorrow it would have a much bigger impact than people laying down in the street blocking pedestrians and protesters blocking traffic.

Tick.
Did that years ago.
Carbon emissions are still rising.
What now?

#75 Cimbom

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:46 PM

I support them 100%. People are delusional if they think this is the biggest inconvenience they’ll be suffering. Lmao you’ll be looking on these days with fondness I promise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.