Extinction Rebellion Poll

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

Poll: Extinction Rebellion (306 member(s) have cast votes)

Extinction Rebellion. Yay or Nay.

1. Yay (179 votes [58.50%])

Percentage of vote: 58.50%

2. Nay (127 votes [41.50%])

Percentage of vote: 41.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#326 SallyJay

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:07 AM

I don't think anyone takes that "I like the heat" thing seriously. Its just wilful obstinance and excuse making which appears to be a lifestyle choice for a segment of the community. Those people aren't important and aren't the target for the protests anyway. Like anti-vaccers they will benefit from the heavy lifting done by everyone else. What a way to live.

#327 FatherofFour

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 11 October 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

You seem familiar,Fahrook.
Who are you?

View PostBadCat, on 11 October 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Yeah I thought so too.

View PostAliasMater, on 11 October 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

55 post count, most in this thread. Seems suspicious.

View PostBadCat, on 11 October 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

FoF said he'd keep posting and that's the last thing he said.  Fahrook has been busy filling in though.

View PostLifesgood, on 11 October 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

Hm, interesting theory. But no. Too polite.
I also thought that. Has been a 'sleeper' account for some years. Could just be that we are getting too cynical and suspicious.

View Post~J_F~, on 11 October 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

And a member for 5 years....

But hey it’s fun to play with the troll!!

View Postpurplekitty, on 11 October 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

People don't post like that at the beginning of their forum foray.
It is usually a new id so we will let them troll us for a while before we come exasperated.

I can't be stuffed engaging with someone who I've danced in circles with before.

Sorry to derail but the subterfuge sh*ts me.

View PostAliasMater, on 11 October 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

An alt account for sure... gets pulled out when too gutless to post under usual username.

View PostBadCat, on 11 October 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Alt accounts suck.

Have the guts to say it under your usual name or shut up.

And yeah, now that I think of it, I think FoF was going to post in the impeachment thread not this one  Still, seen one T word you've seen 'em all.

Really !?  - some of you have seriously lost the plot.

Put your tin foil hats back on quick.

#328 AliasMater

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Gaslighting 101

#329 Fahrook

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostAliasMater, on 15 October 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Gaslighting 101

Really guys?  I’m a gaslighter too?

As I have already stated, I am a new poster and have never had a different id.   I addressed the topic the OP raised.  I didn’t call anyone names or accuse them of being trolls and ridiculous gutless fakes.

I thought the forum was meant to be a discussion.  So you don’t agree with me.  Big deal.  No need for conspiracy theories.

#330 (feral)epg

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

https://www.watoday....015-p530tn.html

Labor will move to declare a climate emergency.

How I wish they had done so at the behest of scientists, or the 400,000 people who marched last month.  Not because we had to shut down a few cities to get even this slight action.

#331 red_squirrel

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostFahrook, on 15 October 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

As I have already stated, I am a new poster and have never had a different id.   I addressed the topic the OP raised.  I didn’t call anyone names or accuse them of being trolls and ridiculous gutless fakes.

I thought the forum was meant to be a discussion.  So you don’t agree with me.  Big deal.  No need for conspiracy theories.

That’s where you made a mistake. There are four or five posters on here who like to control all political discussions as they can not handle to hear differences of opinion. They admit to deleting friends and relatives from Facebook if they say something they disagree with.

On here you can’t delete people so their intimidation tactic of choice is name calling. I’ve seen it time and time again where a poster such as yourself will come in with a different take and they will be called trolls, 2gb listeners, Pauline Hansen supporters, etc etc all with a side of snark.

It often works too. The new poster never posts again.

The poll at the start of this thread indicates 40% or so do not support XR. This doesn’t mean they don’t believe in climate change or don’t do many active things for the environment. It would be nice if some of those people felt comfortable enough to share their opinions without being called names.

#332 FatherofFour

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostFahrook, on 15 October 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

It is meant to be a discussion forum however certain areas are heavily policed by some prominent posters with insular views.

They are not interested in debate and will revert to the usual tactics to shutdown any opinion that differs.

Be thankful your username doesn't suggest you are male or you would have really been targeted :)

Hopefully you have the tenacity to stick around and continue to offer an alternative viewpoint.

#333 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

Debate to me means being open to ideas, and using critical thinking to delve into issues.

Not just asking the same question over and over again, ignoring the answers given, or refusing to open links provided that give further information.  It goes around and around.

eg - a relatively coherent protest / climate change debate or discussion that devolves into an argument about how many cars in Australia have start/stop technology and whether it is illegal to turn your engine off whilst on a carriageway anyway.  That's not debate or critical thinking.  My kids are better conversationalists than that.

So when certain posters do that, over and over again, yes, some of us get frustrated and decide not to engage. It's not about not wanting to accept certain ideas.  It's more about wanting to continue discussing the larger issue.

#334 purplekitty

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

Oh BS.

#335 Fahrook

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 15 October 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

https://www.watoday....015-p530tn.html

Labor will move to declare a climate emergency.

How I wish they had done so at the behest of scientists, or the 400,000 people who marched last month.  Not because we had to shut down a few cities to get even this slight action.

Not even “slight” unfortunately.  A motion is empty words worth nothing.  Labor are not in government so the motion won’t even be passed.  

Labor already have an established position on emission reductions, well before last week. XR have had absolutely nothing to do with it.  Scientists, peak environmental lobbies, energy companies (including coal mining and renewable energy companies), employment and business lobbies and unions have been consulted to come up with the policy.  
://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/01/labors-climate-change-policy-explained-heres-what-we-know

But XR and the Greens recruitment drive last week can take the credit for the motion if they like.  It won’t be passed and will amount to nothing.

#336 Fahrook

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 October 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Debate to me means being open to ideas, and using critical thinking to delve into issues.

Not just asking the same question over and over again, ignoring the answers given, or refusing to open links provided that give further information.  It goes around and around.

eg - a relatively coherent protest / climate change debate or discussion that devolves into an argument about how many cars in Australia have start/stop technology and whether it is illegal to turn your engine off whilst on a carriageway anyway.  That's not debate or critical thinking.  My kids are better conversationalists than that.

So when certain posters do that, over and over again, yes, some of us get frustrated and decide not to engage. It's not about not wanting to accept certain ideas.  It's more about wanting to continue discussing the larger issue.

I did everything you described that pertains to a discussion/debate. I gave an alternative perspective, answered questions and provided credible relevant links that you clearly didn’t read.  It was me that was derided and had false accusations made against me or have I made that up?  

I sincerely hope you can stop digging yourself into a hole and get back on topic.

#337 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

*sigh*

Anyway..... back on topic......

Of course a motion to declare a climate emergency will fail.  We have a Government beholden to coal.  

Anything that Labor and the Greens try to do will amount to nothing, but at least they will be on record as trying to do something.  It's small and futile, but we have to start somewhere.

Better to try and fail than to just accept the fait acompli that the current Govt want us to accept.

This country is currently screwed in this area, so any small steps to claw something back is worth it.  Hopefully by the time of the next election more and more people will start to see the light.

(Yes, I have to try to be optimistic.  Hard as it is, the alternative is way too depressing).

#338 *Spikey*

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:05 AM

Be optimistic.

Science is looking for the answers.

Here is an example, where they've found something that will make a positive contribution.

https://reneweconomy...oVRt7EFkVY_r2d0

#339 foom

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

Spikey it is good to see that research.

Please please please some government put money into making this and similar ventures commercially viable and *give us a new industry with new jobs*.

Maybe stick a recycling plant in northern Queensland. They could do with some jobs.

#340 kadoodle

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

I’m wondering if people are finding the current bushfires more inconvenient than they found protesters.

#341 BadCat

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

View Postkadoodle, on 11 November 2019 - 06:36 AM, said:

I’m wondering if people are finding the current bushfires more inconvenient than they found protesters.

Nah, the bushfires aren't in the middle of the cities.

Besides, the bushfires are the fault of the Greenies because they banned backburning dontcha know?

Never mind that the Greens don't hold power and didn't ban anything.  Never mind that NSW is burning and the NSW Lib Government cut the firefighting budget significantly. Never mind that we're in a climate emergency.  As long people can drive to work without interference, amirite?

Posted Image

Edited by BadCat, 11 November 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#342 Fahrook

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:22 AM

More good news - offshore wind power and an end to old growth logging in Victoria.  Scientists are looking for answers but their scope is concentrated on the science mostly.  We need to elect governments that can look at the big picture (impact on labour, economy, etc) to not only back the science but to sell it.  Victoria seems to have it right.  

https://www.theage.c...110-p53970.html

https://www.theage.c...107-p5388w.html

#343 BadCat

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

ABC News challenges David Littleproud on climate action.  Littleproud has the hide to suggest we are a world leader on climate action.

In possibly related news, my head hurts.

#344 Lifesgood

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

Gladys doesn't want to discuss climate change right now. We need to wait a bit longer.

#345 Fahrook

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

Could XR use their organising powers to get supporters trained as voluntary firefighters, provide volunteers to feed, clothe, shelter and support victims and help the current bushfire situation as well as prepare for future natural disasters. Instead of crowd funding to pay protesting fines, crowd fund to help victims of climate change and work with them to affect greater environmental policy change.  It would give XR’s voice a lot more credibility and support in the communities than standing on the sidelines sanctimoniously pointing fingers from the inner city while people lose their homes and their lives.

Gluing themselves to a road, causing traffic jams and then proclaiming that their sacrifices are in the same vein with suffragettes or civil rights activists makes XR look petty and infantile.  

#346 BadCat

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, just like the US where they don't want to discuss gun laws while they're still in a news cycle for a mass shooting, but then they won't discuss them outside of that either.

Too soon.  Let people grieve.  Blah blah blah.  If we'd done something about this stuff sooner, fewer people would be grieiving.  But the photo ops aren't as good so politicians continue to ignore it.  They'd rather have a pic of them comforting someone in tears than a pic of them signing legislation to save the ****ing planet.  Tugs on the ol' heartstrings more and plays better with the brainless voters.

#347 Lunafreya

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 11 November 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

Gladys doesn't want to discuss climate change right now. We need to wait a bit longer.
I swore at her and turned her off.

#348 BadCat

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:22 AM

XR could do that, yes.  But why?

Would you also take people away from domestic violence awareness campaigning and direct them to care for the abused?  

We need both awareness campaigners and people to assist with the fallout.  One group doesn't have to do both.

#349 Fahrook

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostBadCat, on 11 November 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

XR could do that, yes.  But why?

Would you also take people away from domestic violence awareness campaigning and direct them to care for the abused?  

We need both awareness campaigners and people to assist with the fallout.  One group doesn't have to do both.

I think you’ll find most domestic violence awareness campaigners do actually do both.

Doing both or partnering up with another group to do both is what gives them credibility.  At the moment XR are lacking that credibility with the public.  

My perspective is as a resident of Victoria.  Our government is more progressive than others so my opinion of XR is probably more critical than those in other states.

#350 BadCat

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

It's quite likely that XR member also help others.  Whether they do it in the name of XR is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.  Their credibility comes from speaking out about an important issue.

But sure, if they want to buy credibility in the eyes of people like yourself, they could totally do that.  Seems like a cynical exercise to me, but if it makes people listen then maybe they should go for it.

Edited by BadCat, 11 November 2019 - 08:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.