Pet rescue poodle cross- legit or dodgy?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie bean

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Hi, does anyone happen to know if Pet Rescue is legitimate and above board (not somehow tied up with puppy mills)? Specifically, the poodle cross rescue in Perth?
Thanks in advance!

#2 DaLittleEd

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:48 AM

The Pet Rescue website is just a platform for many groups. There are some legitimate groups on there (e.g, the Shenton park dogs refuge home), others less so.

I am not sure about poodle cross rescue.

Have you found a dog? Link?

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:57 AM

Thanks DLE- thAt makes sense. Looking for a small dog and not many of those come up at Shenton Park. I was looking at this link
https://www.petrescu...listings/748543

#4 Paddlepop

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:06 AM

Aww, he's cute. A little senior doggy.

#5 Ellie bean

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

View PostPaddlepop, on 09 October 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

Aww, he's cute. A little senior doggy.
Isnt he sweet! I don’t think I’ll actually be able to convince DH to get a senior after our vet bills last year but it looks like the organisation has younger dogs sometimes, I am thinking of contacting them but not if it’s but a true rescue organisation

#6 DaLittleEd

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:15 AM

Ooh, he is cute. Having a quick look through it looks like they have rehomed lots of different age dogs, which is probably a good sign that they are not a puppy mill.

Edited by DaLittleEd, 09 October 2019 - 01:16 AM.

#7 Anon wife

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:07 AM

He looks identical to my 10 year old toy poodle. He’s been an absolute dream to have in our home:) if we’ll cared for they can live until 18, so whilst he’s senior, my boy is still super active & you’d think he’s still a puppy. Could you take out pet insurance? If I was in the state I’d adopt him in a heartbeat.

#8 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

All our family poodles (mix of toy and miniatures)have lived for 16 - 18 years (over a number of families)

I’m from Melb and most of the pet rescue groups we were looking at on the website were at the Melbourne dog show and we got to meet them and talk to them.

There are a lot of stupid oodle mixes out there that need a home and need rehoming

#9 *Ker*

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

Yeah Pet Rescue just hosts for rescues to post on. I've used it often.

Doubtful that a 10 year old is a puppy mill dog. I think you're safe.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

View Post*Ker*, on 09 October 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

Yeah Pet Rescue just hosts for rescues to post on. I've used it often.

Doubtful that a 10 year old is a puppy mill dog. I think you're safe.
Thanks. I do realise that, I just don’t want to accidentally support an organisation somehow connected with mills, especially as I’ll be looking for a younger dog, not this particular one (I would adopt him in a heartbeat but my husband wants a younger dog)

Thanks for the info everyone

#11 Ellie bean

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

Arrgh currently having to explain to DH why a 12 week old dashoodle is a bad idea!

#12 *Spikey*

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:55 AM

A dashoodle? WTAF???

Man. They're taking irresponsible to a whole new level.

Tell him by the time it's one year old it will be blind and partially paralysed due to chronic back issues and hereditary blindness common in most BYB and puppy mill dogs (they're not tested, so you know they're most likely carriers).

I know it's good to support rescue - but are you sure you don't want to contact a poodle breeder and get the real thing (and thus avoid having the oodle conversation with your DH)?

#13 kadoodle

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 09 October 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Arrgh currently having to explain to DH why a 12 week old dashoodle is a bad idea!

Good grief. Poor puppies. For the price these mills charge, you could buy one of each and race them.

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 10 October 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

A dashoodle? WTAF???

Man. They're taking irresponsible to a whole new level.

Tell him by the time it's one year old it will be blind and partially paralysed due to chronic back issues and hereditary blindness common in most BYB and puppy mill dogs (they're not tested, so you know they're most likely carriers).

I know it's good to support rescue - but are you sure you don't want to contact a poodle breeder and get the real thing (and thus avoid having the oodle conversation with your DH)?
Yeah I’m contemplating it as it now seems he wants a puppy. Can you tell me- how can I know if a pure poodle is legit and what would the rough cost for a toy poodle be?
Thanks so much!

#15 *Spikey*

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

Start with Dogzonline, also the ANKC website, which will allow you to access the Canine Council in your state. You should be able to see the local registered Breeders.

From there, join some of the local poodle fancier pages, and see who is doing what. You should be interested in discussions about testing, showing (generally champions have good conformation and won't have musculoskeletal issues), and pop along to dog shows to meet them.

Send your resume, and make intro phone calls. Expect to be interviewed. Generally, the ethical ones will have desexing in the contract, and also a return to breeder if rehoming is required, clause.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.