Itinerary for NT

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sqawk

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

I am the initial stages of planning a holiday to the NT for myself, 2kids 8 and 10 , and my mid 70s dad and his partner.

We are thinking 10-14 days
The initial list of places is quite big and I’m trying to work out what is realistic

We will start in darwin, fly from east coast. 5-7 days there including Litchfield  and maybe Tiwi islands

Also on the list is Kakadu, Katherine/Nitmulik gorge, and then Alice/Uluru

I was thinking drive to Kakadu, then drive to Katherine, then fly to Alice or Uluru. But flights are very limited out of Katherine

I think I have answered my own question which is that we will have to cut some places out!!

If anyone has been recently and has suggestions or tips on driving on there, would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

Damned hard with the distances, isn't it?

I'd be tempted to split it in two, with Alice (& King's Canyon) and Uluru in a trip of its own.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

When we did it we cut out Katharine although we started in the Centre. Flew to Alice, 5 day Red Centre Safari, then flew to Darwin and did Litchfield and Kakadu, albeit briefly.

I guess the question is what is it you are dying to see - because the top end and the Centre are really two separate trips.

#4 BeachesBaby

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

We did a trip starting in Alice, then to King's Canyon, Uluru, and Coober Pedy (then down to Adelaide, GOR, and Melb) this past Christmas, and I would say that one night in King's Canyon and 2 in Uluru is a good amount, so maybe you can start in Uluru, stay 2 nights, pick up a car, drive to King's Canyon for a night, then drive to Alice for however long. The speed limits are 130 and the roads straight and empty here, so the driving is quick and efficient - I want to say Alice to King's Canyon was maybe 4 hours? Then from Alice you can drive north towards Katherine/Darwin for that part of the adventure.

If you spend 2 nights in Uluru, 1 in King's Canyon, and 2 in Alice, that still leaves the rest of the time for everything north of that. The NT has been our absolute favorite part of Australia so far, and our next trip is starting in Alice and driving north, so please do update us with what your ending itinerary comes out to be!

#5 -Belinda-

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

We flew to Darwin, got hire car,  shopped groceries and drove 3 hrs to Litchfield for 4 nights. Drove 3 hrs to Katherine for 7 nights for hot springs, cave, school of the air, katherine gorge,  edith waterfall. Washed and food shopped. Drove 4 hours to Jabiru to do 4 nights around Kakadu. Then 3 hours to Howard Springs suburb of Darwin for 7 nights, explored Darwin, museum, waterparks, wave pool, night markets.

We had 5 and 7 yo and that was enough driving for them and a relaxed paced holiday for all of us. We met my mid 60s parents with the carvan in litchfield and they did that loop with us and then they went to broome and we flew home from darwin. If you are really keen on Tiwi Islands then you could drop from 7 to 6 or 5 nights but thats a lot of extra travel. It was a great trip, have fun!

#6 blimkybill

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

That's a lot to try and see in under 2 weeks.

My own top end trip, we did
- Darwin 4 days (including Litchfield NP)
- Kakadu 2 or 3 nights
- Katherine 2 nights (well worth the visit, the gorge is fantastic)

i went to Alice Springs and Uluru in a separate trip.

You could easily spend a week in an around Alice, well at least 4-5 days for Alice and 2 days for Uluru, plus travel time. I would feel too rushed to fit all that into 2 weeks. The Macdonnell ranges out of Alice springs are very beautiful, and Alice springs has a number of attractions worth seeing.

#7 Vickery

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Our itinerary looked like this:

Darwin
Adelaide River - jumping croc cruise
Corrobee Billabong wetlands cruise
Ubirr
Jim Jim Falls
Katherine/Nitmiluk Gorge
Mataranka Hot Springs
Daly Waters
Edith Falls
Litchfield NP
Darwin

We did Adelaide - Wilpena - Coober Pedy - Uluru, The Olga’s, Kings Canyon - Alice Springs as a separate trip.

#8 Tetinks

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

I have only been to the southern part of NT but there are some MUST DOs!

From Alice you can spend a day visiting the Western Macdonnell Ranges. In particular you must see Standley Chasm (go at midday, the sun through the chasm is jaw droppingly gorgeous), Ormiston Gorge, Ellery Creek Big Hole and the Ochre Pits. I’d absolutely do this before anything else in Alice (though we spent 5 days there with our three kids and loved it).

You need two nights at Kings Canyon if you’re planning to do the rim walk. It was sensational. Also recommend the creek walk and heading half an hour down the road to see kings creek station for an hour or so.

Uluru and Kata Tjuta are marvelous. Three full days is good and still might not be enough. We hired bikes to ride around the rock and it was really enjoyable. The valley of the winds walk at Kata Tjuta was superb.

Have fun! We are so keen to go back and keep exploring the NT.

Edited by Tetinks, 08 October 2019 - 08:07 PM.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

^^ I agree three full days at Uluru/Kata Tjuta is well worthwhile.  That's what we've got planned for early December.  Heading out to both Uluru and Kata Tjuta before dawn fortunately.

Field of lights has been extended for at least another year, too.

#10 sqawk

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

Thank you so much for all your replies. I will need to cut back on the number of destinations!! Although part of me wonders if we can do
Darwin 5 nights
Kakadu 3 nights
Katherine 3 nights, drive back to Darwin, fly to Uluru
Uluru 3 nights
Fly home from Uluru
That’s 14 nights. We will miss out Alice Springs/kings cannon.
I will let you know what we eventually decide!!

#11 Mumsyto2

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:14 PM

I would seriously question 5 nights in Darwin.

Maybe 1 night depending on what time you fly in. If flying in earlier I would just head straight to Kakadu/Jibiru or Litchfield depending on your preferred circuit. If flying in later stay in Darwin the night and head out first thing next morning.

You could do a full day in Litchfield, stay overnight, half the next day and then head to Katherine. Do Katherine/Nitmiluk, up via Kakadu/Jabiru back to Darwin. Or alternatively straight over to Kakadu/Jabiru from Litchfield, then Katherine then back to Darwin. Depends on what way you want to do the circuit.

I would then only have 1 night in Darwin. Maybe I’m missing something but it’s pretty compact and I didn’t find that much to do there apart from waterpark, museum circuit (doesn’t take that long really) and night markets where you can grab dinner. I’d only allow 1 full day and 1 night in Darwin itself but maybe I’m missing something?

Edited by Mumsyto2, 09 October 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#12 Pocket...

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

I agree with those who suggested doing Darwin etc and down to Katherine on one trip, and Alice down to Adelaide in another trip.

#13 sqawk

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

I was thinking of doing day trips from Darwin to Litchfield and Tiwi islands

I didn’t think u could stay overnight at Litchfield, unless camping, which we won’t be.  Hence the need to do a day trip.

Anyone been to the Tiwi islands for a day trip.  The reviews don’t sound great and I didn’t realise the ferry trip was so long - 2.5 hrs each way.

#14 -Belinda-

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

https://www.litchfie...istpark.com.au/ is where we stayed in cabins (also caravan and camping available) just out of town and there are others in the township.

Litchfield day trip is done but would be a long day, its at least 3 hours each way from Darwin and you'd only get brief stops. There are lots of walks and swimming in waterfalls to do.

2 weeks would be fine for Darwin - Litchfield - Katherine - Kakadu - Darwin with hire car and cabins is 3-4 nights each place.

The features of Litchfield are mostly close together, the things to see in Kakadu are further apart.  Some of the famous bits of Kakadu (Gunlom Falls for instance) are quite long hikes in, they weren't suitable for our kids. But there were lots of things that were e.g. rock art walks, yellow waters boardwalk.

#15 Mumsyto2

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

View Postsqawk, on 09 October 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

I didn’t think u could stay overnight at Litchfield, unless camping, which we won’t be.  Hence the need to do a day trip.

Yes, you can. Google Litchfield accomodation. Mainly concentrated around Batchelor from memory but there’s definitely ample accomodation for Litchfield, no need to drive back and forwards from Darwin.

#16 Mumsyto2

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

I would think 10 days tops and you get to see everything and that would include a few nights in Darwin - 2 days Litchfield, 2 days Katherine, 3 days Kakadu? The circuits not that big, few hours in between with 1 rest stop, starting early and arriving at the night stop just before dusk still gives you a large number of hours in the day even taking driving time between places into account, just make sure the start is early!

Driving also gives great flexibility to see exactly what you want and to leave what you don’t over an organised tour. For example I would never see a jumping croc show or go croc spotting, seen more than enough but some people may want this as a highlight. Some places of interest are not going to be possible if you don’t have a 4WD and are confident, some places require a long walk or good level of fitness (particularly places that lookout over surrounding area) and aren’t suited to younger kids or unfit adults so by the time you include what you want and strike what you may like but is not that feasible you probably can’t do everything so tailoring accordingly and having a very targeted route makes it quicker. If you have a 4WD and are more adventurous I’d probably then stick another few days on due to increased possibilities.

#17 sqawk

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

All good ideas - thank you!!
I’m now thinking
Fly to Darwin
Same day drive to Batchelor
2 nights Batchelor
3 nights Katherine, May be Mataranka Springs
3 nights Kakadu
2 night Darwin
Then option of either:
1 extra night Darwin and fly home
Or
Fly to Uluru, 2-3nights Uluru
Fly home from Uluru

Where did everyone stay in kakadu?

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

I'd do three nights in Uluru. I'd have done a fourth night, but that wasn't feasible for us for other reasons.

There's an awful lot to do.  Depends, too, on whether you hire a car to get around, or intend to do the tours.  With several people a car would be cost effective.

Depending on the flights - and there's not a lot of choice - you may end up with just one full day.

#19 Emm27

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Uluru is spectacular but maybe leave that for another trip when you can do Kings Canyon as well. You really a need 3 or 4 nights minimum at Yulara (township near Uluru/The Olga’s) to see everything and if you plan on doing the Kings Canyon Rim Walk (cannot recommend this enough) you’ll need 2 nights there.

We went to Uluru twice in two years as we were surprised how much there was to see there, plus we returned to see the Field of Light art installation and do the rim walk at Kings. My kids were almost 4 & 6 the first time (part of a 15 week road trip) and 6 & 8 the second trip, which was just a quick trip during the two week July school holidays. My kids loved staying in Coober Pedy on the way to/from Yulara as well.

#20 blimkybill

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

View Post-Belinda-, on 09 October 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

https://www.litchfie...istpark.com.au/ is where we stayed in cabins (also caravan and camping available) just out of town and there are others in the township.

Litchfield day trip is done but would be a long day, its at least 3 hours each way from Darwin and you'd only get brief stops. There are lots of walks and swimming in waterfalls to do.

litchfield is only 1 hour 20 minutes from Darwin central. We did a day trip no problem. in fact I think we did 2 days trips.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.