Shampoo bars

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Judydoll

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

Do you use one?  What are the good and bad points about them.  Wondering if you would mind sharing  your experience.  Thank you.

#2 peckingbird

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

I’ve used shampoo bars from Lush. I have extremely thick and wiry, frizzy hair and I found the shampoo bars to be really effective on my hair, and they lasted a long time. I kept using my usual heavy duty conditioner.

The only reason I’m not using one anymore is I found the Lush bar fragrances really overwhelming and I haven’t found an alternative yet.

I would encourage you to try one!

#3 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

I just binned my lush shampoo and conditioner bars.

The shampoo dried my hair to straw and the conditioner gave me nothing. And I even did it properly. I use gobs of conditioner though (my hair is super long and bleached). Was incredibly disappointed.

#4 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

I love shampoo bars! The biggest point for me was reducing the amount of plastic!

The bad point for me was the price, the ones I were buying were $25 a pop.

I have now started making my own 2-in-1 soap and shampoo bar at home. It's brilliant! Just coconut oil, olive oil and sunflower oil with lye and a small amount of essential oil for fragrance.

#5 wilding

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

View Postcinnamonnutmeg, on 07 October 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

I just binned my lush shampoo and conditioner bars.

The shampoo dried my hair to straw and the conditioner gave me nothing. And I even did it properly. I use gobs of conditioner though (my hair is super long and bleached). Was incredibly disappointed.

Tried a variety of the lush ones and they all made my hair fall out. So don't blame you for binning them!

#6 hellsmail

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

I buy lush shampoo and conditioners.  Up to my third bar and it is great  still using my first conditioner bar as a bar should last several bars.

there is trick to them,  the shampoo bars are to be kept dry and the conditioner bars work best if they are moist,ie keep them in a sealed container wit a bit of water they need to be mushy then when you rub them in your hands you get enough to condition hair.

I have very dry hair in fact I can go a week without washing and my hair doesnt look greasy and I have no problems with the lush bars and I am going to try hemp bars from my dry food shop.

my bars dont cost that much in fact they cost the same as shampoo in a bottle but last so much longer

Edited by hellsmail, 07 October 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#7 mayahlb

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

I use shampoo and conditioner bars from a small cottage business in NZ. It’s called Meraki Studio NZ. Does a lovely job on my hair (thick, heavy, prone to frizz and a very very sensitive scalp), they last well, lather well and you can get a range of fragrances as well as one that are unscented. Which is great because I’m very sensitive to scents. I think it cost me around $30 for a bar of each and postage.

#8 kitkatswing

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

Its something I have been interested in, but I have a very itchy scalp if I use normal shampoo/conditioner. I have to use Head & Shoulders..

#9 rowd

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

I use ethique bars for shampoo, conditioner and body wash, and love them! The main thing is that you need to use a container of some sort to store them in. I like the ethique brand in shower containers, because they drain so help the bars last longer, but even a sistema or Tupperware type thing works.

#10 littlepickle

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

I also use the ethique shampoo bar (oily hair) and find it fantastic. I use a conditioner bar made by my local wastless pantry but find I also need to add some leave in conditioner on the ends (trialling a few recipes)
Trying to reduce our plastic use..

#11 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

Another vote for Ethique. DD's friend who makes a lot of her own beauty product advised against lush as according to her they contain too many chemicals.

Ethique is available in Priceline as well as online.

#12 cookiegurl

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

I use a sensitive scalp bar from the Australian Natural Soap Company. It works well for me but my mum used it and while she likes how her hair feels, she says it washes out the colour (dye) from her hair quicker.

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

I've used Lush and Beauty and the Bees shampoo bars.

I'm glad I only bought a sample pack of the Bees bars. While they all lathered nicely and cleaned my hair, none of them smelled nice. One of them reminded me of a tick bath.

Lush worked ok. I had to keep the shampoo bar in the fridge during summer otherwise it would melt into a soggy mess in the bathroom. Winter was fine to leave in the bathroom. If you have a store near you, I would recommend visiting it to get to know the scents. I've tried Honey, I washed the kids (which was ok and worked well for DS's hair), NEW (odd smell but I got used to it) and Godiva (which smells delicious but sometimes smelt like old socks. It was really weird). The Godiva was the worst one for falling apart.

I really like shampoo bars and would love to use them but I've not had overall success with them.

#14 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

View Postpeckingbird, on 07 October 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

I’ve used shampoo bars from Lush. I have extremely thick and wiry, frizzy hair and I found the shampoo bars to be really effective on my hair, and they lasted a long time. I kept using my usual heavy duty conditioner.

The only reason I’m not using one anymore is I found the Lush bar fragrances really overwhelming and I haven’t found an alternative yet.

I would encourage you to try one!
DD20 likes the Ethique ones from Priceline, but is using some Arian Oil stuff at the moment.
DD15 tried them, but on her length of hair they are just too difficult.

#15 EmmDasher

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Postrowd, on 07 October 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

I use ethique bars for shampoo, conditioner and body wash, and love them! The main thing is that you need to use a container of some sort to store them in. I like the ethique brand in shower containers, because they drain so help the bars last longer, but even a sistema or Tupperware type thing works.

Exactly this for us. A conditioner bar is a must for us too. I LOVE the Ethique Bliss Bar face wash.

Although, I’ve recently switched back to bottled products to give the curly girl method a red hot crack after all the recs in here. Doing that has really highlighted to me that it is incredibly difficult to get enough hydration from the bar products. I popped one of my curly girl conditioners on the girls’ hair the other night and it was just lush in a way that their hair never is with bar products. I love the idea of the bars and they’re a decent product but the shampoos all seem quite drying (even ‘gentle’ ones) and the conditioner bars probably aren’t enough to counteract that. They’d might be ideal for oiled hair.

Edited by EmmDasher, 07 October 2019 - 06:32 PM.

#16 kimasa

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

Yes, I will never go back to liquid shampoo.

I use the beer bar from Beauty and the Bees.

#17 Ozquoll

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

View Postkitkatswing, on 07 October 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Its something I have been interested in, but I have a very itchy scalp if I use normal shampoo/conditioner. I have to use Head & Shoulders..
I have the same problem. I'm thinking of trying these bars:
https://www.etsy.com...one-zinc-znp-by

#18 Montro

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

View Postkimasa, on 11 October 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

Yes, I will never go back to liquid shampoo.

I use the beer bar from Beauty and the Bees.

I love the beer bar!  I have fine, naturally wavy hair, and it truly does gives my hair the appearance of being thicker.  Love the scent too.https://www.beebeaut...-all-hair-types

Edited by Montro, 11 October 2019 - 07:28 AM.

#19 wannabe30

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostEmmDasher, on 07 October 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

Although, I’ve recently switched back to bottled products to give the curly girl method a red hot crack after all the recs in here. Doing that has really highlighted to me that it is incredibly difficult to get enough hydration from the bar products. I popped one of my curly girl conditioners on the girls’ hair the other night and it was just lush in a way that their hair never is with bar products. I love the idea of the bars and they’re a decent product but the shampoos all seem quite drying (even ‘gentle’ ones) and the conditioner bars probably aren’t enough to counteract that. They’d might be ideal for oiled hair.
I’m torn between plastic free and curly girl too! I find that a lot of the shampoo bars contain beeswax which makes my curls a bit meh. I’ve found a vegan version (ie no beeswax) which I’ll try once the current one runs out.

But my hair really does look much better with Deva Curl products in bottles imported from overseas ... not good for the environment though!</p>

#20 IamtheMumma

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 11 October 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

I have the same problem. I'm thinking of trying these bars:
https://www.etsy.com...one-zinc-znp-by

Those look great but the postage!

#21 Ozquoll

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 11 October 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

Those look great but the postage!
I know 😧🤯! If a few of us got together to order them we might get it to a reasonable level. But I'm in Melb and I believe you are in NSW?

#22 sassya

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

I have just started using Hemp Collective shampoo bar, and it really works for my short, thick hair. Their conditioner bar is great too (and I've not had luck with conditioner bars in the past). Subtle scent. Lasts well. Lots of people I know use and love them. They are made in northern NSW.

https://www.hempcoll...e.com.au/about/

#23 hellsmail

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

View Postsassya, on 11 October 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

I have just started using Hemp Collective shampoo bar, and it really works for my short, thick hair. Their conditioner bar is great too (and I've not had luck with conditioner bars in the past). Subtle scent. Lasts well. Lots of people I know use and love them. They are made in northern NSW.

https://www.hempcoll...e.com.au/about/

These are at my local dry food store so will try them when my lush products run out

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 11 October 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

I know ! If a few of us got together to order them we might get it to a reasonable level. But I'm in Melb and I believe you are in NSW?

QLD. So many things on Etsy look great but the postage kills it.

#25 IamOzgirl

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

I liked what it did with my hair. But I got a rash on my scalp :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.