Question re. Capital Gains Tax

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tobemommy

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hey mums

We are in a bit of dilemma - hoping someone on here can help !

We bought a land in Apr 2018 and built a house to live in it.

We are going to get a handover from the builder by end of Oct '19 but our circumstances have changed and we do not want to live there anymore.

I am now concerned that if we sell the property straight away we would be hit by CGT (guessing it would be 50% discounted as we have the land for more than 12months). Although I do not believe there is much of capital gain (if any) to be realised.

If we move in straight away after the handover and live there for 3 months this will give us some time to decide if we should sell or rent the property out. Also, would we be able to avoid CGT completely if we sell the property after 3 months?

Appreciate your help !

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

Do you own another property?

#3 tobemommy

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 06 October 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Do you own another property?

Yes, we do own a small apartment that we bought in May 2018 and lived there for 6 months before renting it out.

And currently we are renting.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

You can only have one place as your principal place of residence at a time - so theoretically if you choose for this new house to be your principal place of residence, then you can sell it cgt free. You would then need to pay CGT on your apartment when you sell it in the future

#5 tobemommy

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 06 October 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

You can only have one place as your principal place of residence at a time - so theoretically if you choose for this new house to be your principal place of residence, then you can sell it cgt free. You would then need to pay CGT on your apartment when you sell it in the future

Great thanks so much for your reply.

So if we live at our new home for 3 months does that qualify for us to claim it as PPOR ? Or is there be any other alternative without  having to move in there ?

thanks !

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Living in it for 3 months would certainly be enough.

The current wording says the intent of living in there is sufficient- as for the actual interpretation of intent - id say having essential services connected would be a good start.

#7 spannerset

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

Your cost base will be the purchase price of the land, purchasing costs (stamp duty, settlement etc), all of the building and planning costs for the house, all of your holding costs (interest, rates, insurance, land tax, etc) and all of your selling costs (agent fees, settlement etc).  Figure out what your gain will be, split that between the owners, reduce by 50% for the discount, and if that doesn’t give you much of a gain then you might not need to worry about the main residence exemption - save yourselves the trouble of moving and keep the main residence exemption for your apartment.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:14 PM

View Postspannerset, on 06 October 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

Your cost base will be the purchase price of the land, purchasing costs (stamp duty, settlement etc), all of the building and planning costs for the house, all of your holding costs (interest, rates, insurance, land tax, etc) and all of your selling costs (agent fees, settlement etc).  Figure out what your gain will be, split that between the owners, reduce by 50% for the discount, and if that doesn’t give you much of a gain then you might not need to worry about the main residence exemption - save yourselves the trouble of moving and keep the main residence exemption for your apartment.

You worded that beautifully- my brain is so fried at the moment.

#9 SplashingRainbows

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

I think this might be helpful to you OP

https://www.ato.gov....ting-your-home/

And this, confirming if you wish to use the main residence exemption, you must move in
https://www.ato.gov....main-residence/

As PP said though you may find there is no need to use the main residence exemption.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 07 October 2019 - 06:47 AM.

#10 tobemommy

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply ! I found it really helpful.

We lived in our apartment for 6 months before renting it out and we plan to live in the new house for 3 months before deciding whether to rent or sell.

By living there for 3 months and getting valuation done I am hoping it would give us a choice as to which of the properties we want to claim for CGT exemption... at least this is what we hope... !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.