Behind the scenes on reality tv

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 MooGuru

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 09 October 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

Isn't this the point though?  That while he did say those words, it may have been in completely different circumstances than was depicted?
He didn't deny saying it that night like that. He said that it had been a really long night and the reactions from the other contestants were taken out of context and it didn't show him coming back to say good bye to them. So essentially the editing was the suggestion the other contestants were shocked/appalled at his behaviour was fabricated to create drama.
He's really not denying his behaviour  towards her at all.

** for the record I think I only saw one or two episodes that season and didn't remember him at all till this thread.

#52 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

View PostMessyJ, on 07 October 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

But it was his boss wasn't it? And giving advice not just of one company, but of the entire industry he worked for. I guess the gamble of thinking he knew better than her when it came to what was best for his career did not pay off...

I read it as being one of the agents he uses rather than his boss. I could be wrong.

View PostTokra, on 07 October 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

He made a choice and it turned to sh*t. He has to take responsibility for his part in that. Doesn't mean he is a bad person. Just means he made a sh*t decision, against all advice. It's not victim blaming.

Victim blaming would be if I said that all the online bullying was his fault - which I expressly said was not his fault and not okay.

Right so if a girl walks across a park alone at night rather than accepting a lift from a friend, and we point out that she has to take responsibility for that decision turning to sh*t - that's not victim blaming either? As long as we also say they are not a bad person and that their subsequent attack is not their fault?

Because for me, that's what I'd consider victim blaming. YMMV.

#53 MooGuru

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 09 October 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

I read it as being one of the agents he uses rather than his boss. I could be wrong.

Right so if a girl walks across a park alone at night rather than accepting a lift from a friend, and we point out that she has to take responsibility for that decision turning to sh*t - that's not victim blaming either? As long as we also say they are not a bad person and that their subsequent attack is not their fault?

I disagree. He made a strategic career decision against the very strong advice of his manager/agent.
I don't think that's comparable to a woman being raped because she walked through a park at night.

Eta to clarify: his goal for going into the show was to get a career in television. He was advised it was likely to be a bad career move by the person he pays to advise his career decisions (I assume that's what an agent's role is).

Edited by MooGuru, 09 October 2019 - 10:50 PM.

#54 Ellie bean

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 09 October 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Nope because if the girl stayed home she could have been attabked or whatever anyway- isn’t that rape culture, the idea yiu can prevent it?
Dude could have not damaged his career by not going on reality tv.
I do agree he shouldn’t be blamed for being trolled/ bullied. There’s no excuse for that.

Edited by Ellie bean, 10 October 2019 - 12:01 AM.

#55 IamOzgirl

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

So was Jess heavily edited?

#56 Chchgirl

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

My bullcrap red flag detector  (which may I say is correct a great amount of the time) says even with editing the guy has the creepy vibe. Jess , that is.

It would be very miraculous if all the guys calling him out for his behaviour had been edited in to make him seem bad.

Edited by Chchgirl, 12 October 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#57 MooGuru

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 12 October 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

So was Jess heavily edited?

He hasn't said he was. Which surprised me as that's what everyone always says.

#58 Murderino

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 12 October 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

He hasn't said he was. Which surprised me as that's what everyone always says.

I have seen an article about the mayor of his council asking him to step down as a councillor as he has brought the council in to disrepute.

In that he says “I’m not that guy” but doesn’t say he didn’t say it all, just kind of seems to say he thought he was bringing some fun. If you thought that then you are that guy.

I don’t watch the show but for some reason saw the guys telling him off then her kicking him out (she seemed to have had a few too many, it seemed she was slurring a bit but maybe that’s her natural speech) and from what she said and what I saw him say in an ad about getting wandering hands he seemed off.

#59 Chocolate Addict

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

I read an article with him saying they guy on Batchelorette, he was just being light hearted and jovial, mucking around. Obviously his version of mucking around is not the same as most.
He didn't say he was badly edited or anything.

I don't watch the show but I do like Angie and of course this made the news.

#60 kimasa

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

Moving away from the Bachelorette slightly, years ago I worked with someone who got pretty far into the auditions of The Biggest Loser. This was back before Tiffiny and Commando, so one of the first couple of seasons.
He pulled out when he got the consent forms for all the medications they would have him on to assist his "journey". Among other things, the contestants were on laxatives for the entire duration of filming, which is why they dropped the weight so fast.

#61 Riotproof

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

Oh really! That’s terrible. I hated that show because of all the temptation challenges.

#62 Nozycat

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

View Postkimasa, on 13 October 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

Moving away from the Bachelorette slightly, years ago I worked with someone who got pretty far into the auditions of The Biggest Loser. This was back before Tiffiny and Commando, so one of the first couple of seasons.
He pulled out when he got the consent forms for all the medications they would have him on to assist his "journey". Among other things, the contestants were on laxatives for the entire duration of filming, which is why they dropped the weight so fast.
Wow that is awful.

#63 Chocolate Addict

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

And people wonder why most of them put weight on when they left. Goodness knows what it did to their bodies.

I admit I watched TBL but there was a lot of things I didn't like about the show.

#64 MooGuru

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

Yeah I never watched TBL but then I don't really like those sorts of shows. I feel like they are more insidious than things like the Bachelor or cooking shows re exploiting vulnerable people.

#65 WaitForMe

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

View Postkimasa, on 13 October 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've heard the filming is over a much longer period of time, so the weigh ins are seen to be (I assume) weekly, but are more like, say, fortnightly or monthly.

#66 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

I know a couple who found love on reality tv, but it wasn’t a love show. It was very funny to read about their relationship in new idea while waiting for burgers one night.

#67 Chocolate Addict

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 13 October 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

I've heard the filming is over a much longer period of time, so the weigh ins are seen to be (I assume) weekly, but are more like, say, fortnightly or monthly.

Yeah a lot of ex contestants have said it is usually between 10 - 14 days or more between weigh ins

#68 Chocolate Addict

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

This just came up on my newsfeed. An ex contestant from House Rules sued for psychological injury after being portrayed as a bully.

https://www.geelonga...8899637894f53ef

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.